Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,904

2 members and 1,902 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

Question New Enclosure - How do I get perfect husbandry in a 48x24x18 PVC set up

Hi everyone!

I'm beginning to set up my BP's forever home. I purchased a T12 (48x24x18H) PVC enclosure from Dragonhaus. My BP likes to climb, and is a very confident, active guy, so I opted for the 18inch height for him, and for easier cleaning. Due to the large size of the enclosure, I purchased a Reptile Basics 80w RHP to maintain ambient temp. I have zero experience with this large of a set up, and have never used a RHP before. I'm on the fence on whether to purchase a Herpstat2 or something from Vivarium Electronics...Not sure what wattage I would need if I went with the latter, what do you guys recommend? I've never played with either. I'm also wondering if the RHP is going to be enough on it's own, or if I need to do some flex watt for belly heat in addition? I was going to go with 2 Accurite hygrometer/thermometers for each side of the tank, any better suggestions? Eventually I'm going to order a custom backdrop from Universal Rocks, so that will take up a few inches of space for depth...but that's big money and will be added at a later date. For now, I just want to make sure I'm planning my purchases properly to make sure I have my husbandry right. He is not going to be in a temperature controlled room, and it will be a display enclosure with lots of enrichment items inside for him. Yes, it's a pain to keep clean, but he loves it and it's worth it to me lol. I'm hoping that someone here is using this size of PVC and can provide me with some tried and true methods to help me make everything perfect for my sweet gorgeous boy. Thanks to everyone in advance for any advice!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,497 Times in 2,689 Posts

Re: New Enclosure - How do I get perfect husbandry in a 48x24x18 PVC set up

It should be pretty easy from here. Plug your RHP into a reliable thermostat and dial in those temps. The 80 watt RHP should definitely provide enough heat by itself. I get excellent basking and ambient temps with mine. I keep one thermometer/hygrometer in my enclosures but prefer to use a temp gun to measure the temps throughout the cage.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (02-12-2021),nikkubus (02-13-2021)