Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,859

1 members and 2,858 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Rat keeps eating her babies again and again.

Hi I have several breeder rats but one of them keeps eating her babies.. Her first two litters went great but then she started eating them i have bred her six times now and she ate all litters so i thought maybe she needed a break from breeding so left her in a birthing tub with the other mom's so she could help take care of them but a few hours later i checked on her and she ate all pinkies that were in that tub belonging to the other mom rats...

My question is should i just feed her off or is there a way to fix this? I have no interest in keeping her as a pet.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    What are you feeding your rats? Sometimes they do this when they need better nutrition (but she's the only one doing this, right?) or they're getting too old to breed/nurse (but she only had 2 litters- that's not a long "career" at all) & unfortunately, sometimes they're just not cut out to be parents. What are the temperatures they're being kept at? Rats reproduction typically falls off in the winter (when it's colder), but in all likelihood, she's never going to be a good producer. No real way to fix this, especially since it's not like she doesn't know how to take care of babies- she just doesn't want to. Sometimes rodents kill & eat their first litter out of confusion- they get carried away cleaning up the afterbirth, & are hungry & just keep going-oops! When it's a first litter, mine get another "chance"; and if they only eat some & set some aside, not "cleaned up", I've found that if I clean them up & give them back, it suddenly clicks & they know what to do from then on. This one sounds like a feeder though.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Hugsplox (02-10-2021),nikkubus (02-10-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

Re: Rat keeps eating her babies again and again.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    What are you feeding your rats? Sometimes they do this when they need better nutrition (but she's the only one doing this, right?) or they're getting too old to breed/nurse (but she only had 2 litters- that's not a long "career" at all) & unfortunately, sometimes they're just not cut out to be parents. What are the temperatures they're being kept at? Rats reproduction typically falls off in the winter (when it's colder), but in all likelihood, she's never going to be a good producer. No real way to fix this, especially since it's not like she doesn't know how to take care of babies- she just doesn't want to. Sometimes rodents kill & eat their first litter out of confusion- they get carried away cleaning up the afterbirth, & are hungry & just keep going-oops! When it's a first litter, mine get another "chance"; and if they only eat some & set some aside, not "cleaned up", I've found that if I clean them up & give them back, it suddenly clicks & they know what to do from then on. This one sounds like a feeder though.
    I agree with Bogertophis. My breeder says sometimes it's a lack of protein in their diet, but even after correcting that sometimes they just continue to eat the litters anyway. Typically he lets them go one or two litters and then feeds them off.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Stop playing around an gas her. While the dietary intake may be wrong. It doesn’t matter. It might be stress having other rats fight over babies an room. Still doesn’t matter. An the worse thing. Some studies show it’s a learned condition. The whole tub may need to go.

The rat needs to go. Gas it or sell it as a none breeding pet or give it away. Don’t keep rodents that bite or cannibalize. Rodents don’t breed long enough to waste months fixing what can’t be fixed.

Good luck!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 303_enfield For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-10-2021)