Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,971

0 members and 2,971 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Dumeril Woes - AZ

I've been searching for a months, but no one seems to have Dumeril's boas in the state of AZ. Does anyone know any private breeders who might have them? Why are they so hard to find anyways?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to V_Sauce For This Useful Post:

AR29 (02-10-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 572 Posts
    From what I've heard, they've always been rarer compared to the more popular boas, and they've also paradoxically been gaining popularity so it's hard to find them due to demand I'd say. I've always seen some on Morph Market though if you ever decide to try looking online.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snagrio For This Useful Post:

nikkubus (02-10-2021),V_Sauce (02-10-2021)

Thanks

Re: Dumeril Woes - AZ

Quote Originally Posted by V_Sauce View Post
    I've been searching for a months, but no one seems to have Dumeril's boas in the state of AZ. Does anyone know any private breeders who might have them? Why are they so hard to find anyways?
    I got my girl from a guy named Jason Zayle, who operates Hog Dog Reptiles out of NJ where I am. If you decide to purchase online, I recommend checking him out on Morph Market. It's possible he may still have some now actually.

He is very personable, extremely passionate about his animals and happily answered all the questions I asked/went into great detail of how he raises them from birth. He also checked in with me after the sale and asked how she was doing, which I always think shows how much care and work a person puts into their animals.

My girl is doing very well, personable as can be, sheds great and has taken every f/t meal I've offered her since initially settling in.

Also, if you do decide to purchase online, I recommend shipping to a local FedEx hub if possible. My most recent addition, I had shipped overnight this way and it took a lot of the worry out of it for me. By doing it this way, your little guy/girl will go right from the plane and be driven directly to the fedex facility for you to pick up. This way, he/she isn't jostled around as much and isn't driving around on a cold delivery truck, where there could be delays, etc.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AR29 For This Useful Post:

nikkubus (02-10-2021),V_Sauce (02-10-2021)

Thanks

I've been too afraid to try buying one online because I worry about how safe that can be, but it's starting to look like my only option. Thanks man, I appreciate you.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to V_Sauce For This Useful Post:

AR29 (02-10-2021)

Thanks

I've been too afraid to try buying one online because I worry about how safe that can be, but it's starting to look like my only option. Thanks man, I appreciate you.
    Of course, I completely understand where you're coming from too. The other nice thing about buying online is, it will give you many more options.
    And then you can reach out to each seller and get a feel about them/ask questions, etc., and go with the one you like best. IMO I'd rather have my baby shipped from the best source possible, than get one locally from a breeder who may not be as top notch.

Reputable breeders, who put pride in themselves and animals, will make sure they're shipped securely with the proper hot/cold packs. And you can even ask the sellers how they ship their animals, the packaging they use, etc. In my experience any reputable source will more than happily answer your questions and beyond. They will also include a live arrival guarantee.

The last BI I got was from a dedicated hobbyist breeder out of Michigan. I chose him because he had the morph I was looking for, really liked the boa, and he spends a lot of time with his animals knows their personalities, etc. After driving him home from FedEx and opening the box, I checked temps inside the box with a temp gun and it was plenty warm and my dude came out of the box happy. I let him settle in for a week, then offered his first meal and he ate like clock work. This has also been the case with any other snakes I have had shipped, as well as my tortoise who was shipped to me, and various saltwater corals and inverts. (All shipped to FedEx hub for pickup, rather than to my door)

I'm sure there are some unfortunate stories out there as well but if you identify the right seller and have the snake shipped to a FedEx hub, then I would not worry at all

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AR29 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-10-2021),Sonny1318 (02-14-2021),wnateg (02-10-2021),WrongPython (02-10-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,020 Times in 465 Posts

I express the same sentiments of AR29. Online sales are better because it gives you more, higher quality options to choose from.

Every reptile I've gotten, I've gotten shipped. Two of them I picked up at the FedEx hub at the airport near me.

Definitely the route to go, especially for the rarer species! Good luck!
    Start your own dubia roach colony with Roach Rancher!

Instagram - @AliceAnaconda

0.1.0 Cat "Anna"
    -----
    1.1.0 Emerald Tree Boa "Amanda & Samantha"
    0.1.0 Merauke Scrub Python "Victoria"
    0.1.0 Titanium Reticulated Python "Alice"
    1.0.0 Eastern Indigo
    -----
    0.0.4 Alligator Snapping Turtle "Deborah"
    0.0.2 Florida Snapping Turtles
    0.0.1 Cuvier's Dwarf Caiman "Caroline"
    0.0.1 100% Het Black Dragon Asian Water Monitor
    -----
    0.0.1 Antilles Pink Toe Tarantula "Katherine"

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wnateg For This Useful Post:

AR29 (02-10-2021),Bogertophis (02-10-2021),Sonny1318 (02-14-2021),WrongPython (02-10-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Over the years, I've gotten snakes both ways, in person or shipped. While it's awesome to go to a reptile expo to pick one out in person, or even a pet store (some are better than others), you're more likely to come home with mites that way too. While many if not most breeders are doing the right stuff, it only takes one source in person to spread mites to many others in attendance, via the attendees handling or touching things from one display to the next. Mites aren't the only things they can spread either- other illnesses are a concern too. But if you do your "homework"- ask questions of the seller & seek references, you have a much better chance of getting a snake from a responsible breeder that doesn't come with ready-made "issues". Shipping by air is pretty safe- it's not perfect, but it's mostly safe when the source knows how to do so correctly, & I'd agree, you have many more choices this way- from all areas of the country. Good luck finding your perfect Dumeril's boa...I've never kept one & I regret that, so I'll look forward to hearing about yours.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

AR29 (02-10-2021),Lady mkrj58 (02-14-2021),Sonny1318 (02-14-2021),WrongPython (02-10-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,813 Times in 492 Posts

I feel you, OP. While shipping is not without risk, if you buy from a reputable breeder/shipper, don't push for shipping in risky weather, and pick your snake up from the hub, you should be fine.

I had my second boa shipped in via the door-to-door option. While everything worked out -- he was securely and comfortably packaged with temps that were just right, and arrived safe and sound -- the delivery person did not get my signature confirmation like they were supposed to. They simply updated the delivery app and left his box in my last apartment building's hallway. I retrieved him promptly since I had stayed home to do so (and saw the delivery truck drive away), but I still loath to think of what may have happened. Porch pirates and exposure were very real concerns.

...so yeah, if I ever get another snake shipped in, I'm doing hub-to-hub shipping. Some breeders are actually starting to insist on it given the pandemic-induced mail chaos, and I'm obviously not averse to it.

Good luck finding your snake! Dumeril's are awesome.
    0.1 Sonoran Boa sigma​: "Adelita" ('19 Hypo het. leopard)
    1.0 Boa imperator longicauda: "Kuzco" ('19 het. anery)
    0.1 West Papuan Morelia spilota​: "Pandora" ('20)

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WrongPython For This Useful Post:

AR29 (02-10-2021),Bogertophis (02-10-2021)

Thanks

Don't be scared of buying and shipping I have never had any issues as I stick to one or two vendor's that I know do a great job with passion always focused on the animal's well being. My favorite vendor will tell you to take a hike if the weather conditions are bad I deal with 2 places in Florida and I'm in Oregon .If you would like I can get into more detail in a message. Please go thru this thread and see some of my babies they are all my babies so to speak lol I added a baby Rainbow Boa to my house a couple of months ago he is so cute and tiny we are doing great with his feedings and he's a real hoot to have.

Sent from my SM-T878U using Tapatalk
    Lady Mkrj58

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lady mkrj58 For This Useful Post:

nikkubus (02-14-2021),Sonny1318 (02-14-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts
    I've sent and received so many reptiles over the years and only ever had a problem once, and we are talking out of hundreds and hundreds of successes. The important thing is to know the person sending knows what they are doing and going to properly package the animal, and NOT send during times when the weather is too extreme or times like around Christmas where fedex is bound to be overwhelmed. Picking up at the hub vs delivery to your door also helps a ton because the animal is on the truck/plane a lot less and mostly in climate controlled buildings. I only do pickup at fedex these days with animals because all our mail carriers seem to have a real problem getting houses mixed up and not having the gate code no matter how big I have the sender write it on the box I probably get on average 5 packages a week meant for other random neighbors and have to take them to the right house.
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose