Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,863

2 members and 2,861 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

20 Most Deadliest and Dangerous Snakes In the World

Wow, lots of reading in here....

"modern man is becoming aware of the dangers of being close to snakes... We don't like them, we fear of them and we exterminate them wherever we can."

Um, Nope Nope and Nope!! those are Terrible statements (unfortunately quite a few people I know live by that)

Welp never knew this.... not that I would eat a Garter Snake "there are few really poisonous snakes in the world. Strictly speaking there is only one: the bite of the garter snake (Thamnophis) doesn't include dangerous toxins, but it's poisonous to eat, because its meat has toxins of its food: newts and salamanders."

But on to the article:

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/2...160104419.html

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gocntry For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-09-2021),nikkubus (02-09-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts
    Amazing how we went from having deities revolving around them to kill on sight. Poor things aren't trying to hurt people, they just want to be left alone.

How could it possibly be true that thamnophis are the only snake to ingest toxins? That doesn't seem right. Surely they are no more poisonous than the number of snakes that eat poisonous frogs.
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

4. The Following User Says Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-09-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    FYI, while skimming the article, this inaccuracy jumped out at me: Hint: that's a photo of a RATTLESNAKE, & NOT an Ottoman viper- Ottoman vipers do NOT have rattles & look quite a bit different from this fine fellow.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

15. Ottoman viper (Vipera xanthina)

Subcutaneous LD50 (Mg/kg): 0.21 Venom Yield/Bite (Mg): 8.0 – 18.0 Distribution: Greece, Turkey
    Ottoman viper stands on the 15th spot in the 20 most deadliest and dangerous snakes in the world list. It's a very aggressive, cantankerous snake. It will attack without being provoked. The vast majority of bites injects venom into the wound. It's length is between 70–95 cm (27.6-37.4 in), but sometimes it can grow up to 130 cm (51.2 in).
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 02-09-2021 at 05:37 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

nikkubus (02-10-2021)

Thanks

Re: 20 Most Deadliest and Dangerous Snakes In the World

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    FYI, while skimming the article, this inaccuracy jumped out at me: Hint: that's a photo of a RATTLESNAKE, & NOT an Ottoman viper- Ottoman vipers do NOT have rattles & look quite a bit different from this fine fellow.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

15. Ottoman viper (Vipera xanthina)

Subcutaneous LD50 (Mg/kg): 0.21 Venom Yield/Bite (Mg): 8.0 – 18.0 Distribution: Greece, Turkey
    Ottoman viper stands on the 15th spot in the 20 most deadliest and dangerous snakes in the world list. It's a very aggressive, cantankerous snake. It will attack without being provoked. The vast majority of bites injects venom into the wound. It's length is between 70–95 cm (27.6-37.4 in), but sometimes it can grow up to 130 cm (51.2 in).

I noticed a few other booboos in the article, mostly related to the grammar and spelling, but then again, I would. Grammar Nazis, Untie!
    "Something Clever"

1.0 Paradox Albino KSB - Spotticus
    0.1 Dutch Rabbit - Wendy

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Spicey For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-10-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

Re: 20 Most Deadliest and Dangerous Snakes In the World

Quote Originally Posted by Spicey View Post
    I noticed a few other booboos in the article, mostly related to the grammar and spelling, but then again, I would. Grammar Nazis, Untie!

I thought that was supposed to be "dyslexics untie", lol. Anyway, I only read thru it quickly & I wouldn't doubt there were more mistakes. A "viper" with a rattle on his tail really got to me, but it just seems like nothing gets proofread anymore, doesn't it? My local newspaper drives me up the wall, so many mistakes.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)