Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,135

0 members and 3,135 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Questions about the accurate thermometer/hygrometer

So I have been hearing a lot of buzz about the accurite you can get from wal mart I picked one up today to put in my blood pythons tank, I’m guessing these are the most accurate as far as readily available temperature measurement goes? If so I picked up a digital hygrometer from one of the big box pet stores that is reading almost 10-15% humidity difference? I knew their was something wrong I live in south Florida and humidity is not very hard to maintain but it was reading 70 something % this morning and I thought no way the substrate is hardly even damp I pick up the accurite it’s reading closer to low 60s is this possible to be that far off? What are people’s general consensus on the accurite should I look into other forms of temp and humidity measurement?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

Re: Questions about the accurate thermometer/hygrometer

I've been using Thermapro and Accurite the entire time I've kept reptiles and have had no issues. Now as far as how accurate they are, I can't speak for that. I'm not in a lab testing them of course lol, but what I can tell you is I experienced the same issue as you, bringing home a "reptile brand" digital hydrometer and getting wildly different results. I even ran a test once where I got a 4 pack of some brand, I can't remember which, but sat them right next to each other in my kitchen overnight, and you should have seen how different they were the next morning.

Long story short, I don't think you went wrong with Accurite.