Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,271

1 members and 1,270 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

bought a tiny year and a half old male is he mature?????

I bought a bp and he was listed as a 2019. i got him about 4 months ago. the listing stated he was 130g. i figured they just didn't update it but to my amazement this fella showed up and clocked in on the scale at 131g. So like i said he was listed as 2019 that's no month no day. so i went though all of breeder dudes youtube to see if he had my snake in a video and sure enough i found him(and it made me laugh cause he was the same dang size lol) and got his clutch date. and he is around a year and a half old give or take and he is now just over 300g maybe a little less when empty but the other day he was 333g so my question is could this snake be used for a breeder right now... that is my general question but what i really wanna know is if he would provide competition for a male who doesn't want to lock and i realize i could pop him and see if he has sperm plugs. but that seems rather invasive i already feel bad for the little dude cause he was starved for a year and a half . im just curious i don't plan to breed him till next year but just curious if he could make babies right now

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts
    I wouldn't worry too much about it if he is eating well for you, he will catch up eventually. Keep in mind, a lot of people feed their snakes a lot more than they would be eating in the wild to bulk them up faster. It's not all that uncommon for a breeder to go really light on feeding of things that aren't holdbacks, and as long as they aren't getting too thin, it's not going to hurt anything. If anything, it's probably healthier to some extent.

He probably is capable of fertilizing a female, but I absolutely wouldn't try this season. He just doesn't have enough to loose if he goes off food from breeding, which they often do. He might anyways smelling females in season, but if he isn't actually breeding, he isn't going to burn nearly the amount of calories as if he were putting in all that work. Would likely be a death sentence to him to put him with a female. If you are wanting to use him to motivate another male, throw one of his sheds in with the ones you are trying to breed, the smell of him might be enough to get the other one kick started. I imagine the rate the small boy is putting on weight he is shedding pretty frequently for you.
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

benji4801 (02-06-2021),Bogertophis (02-06-2021),GoingPostal (02-06-2021)

Thanks

Re: bought a tiny year and a half old male is he mature?????

Quote Originally Posted by nikkubus View Post
    I wouldn't worry too much about it if he is eating well for you, he will catch up eventually. Keep in mind, a lot of people feed their snakes a lot more than they would be eating in the wild to bulk them up faster. It's not all that uncommon for a breeder to go really light on feeding of things that aren't holdbacks, and as long as they aren't getting too thin, it's not going to hurt anything. If anything, it's probably healthier to some extent.

He probably is capable of fertilizing a female, but I absolutely wouldn't try this season. He just doesn't have enough to loose if he goes off food from breeding, which they often do. He might anyways smelling females in season, but if he isn't actually breeding, he isn't going to burn nearly the amount of calories as if he were putting in all that work. Would likely be a death sentence to him to put him with a female. If you are wanting to use him to motivate another male, throw one of his sheds in with the ones you are trying to breed, the smell of him might be enough to get the other one kick started. I imagine the rate the small boy is putting on weight he is shedding pretty frequently for you.

Thank you so much... yeah there is no doubt it is a death sentence for the little guy. He will not be going any where near a female till he gets some real size. id use another male thats the appropriate size to give some competition. it just got me thinking this guy may be able to get the job done if given the opportunity due to his age. i did use of his fresh shed to see if there was any change in behavior between the two and the female was more interested in the his shed then my breeder male was interested in the female. i really appreciate the reply and thanks again.