Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,921

0 members and 2,921 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Exclamation Ball Python not eating

I'm hoping I put this in the right channel but, lately ever since the beginning of winter, my ball python has not been eating. I'm not sure how old he is but a I weighed him a week ago and hes 769 grams. He usually always eats, I've never had any problem even when switching him to frozen or switching him to rats. He now won't eat anything. I know people say they stop eating sometimes, and in the winter. But he still roams his tank and sticks his head up by where I feed him. As if hes roaming around looking for food and hungry. I've tried for the past 2 weeks trying to get him to eat, feeding him a rat every week. I'm not sure what to do because he acts hungry but won't eat? All his temps are right and everything. I do have a thermostat in his heating pad.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

Re: Ball Python not eating

Space out your feedings a bit. Give him two weeks between feeding attempts and see if he'll take a rat then. Like you said, sometimes these guys just go off food, and the time frame you're talking about really isn't anything to worry about. Considering he's been a good eater for you, I don't know that I would start stressing this early in the game. Just space out your feeding attempts so you're not stressing him, and remember, as long as he's not losing weight, he's fine.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (02-02-2021),Bogertophis (02-02-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Agree ^ ^ ^. Does he have both warm & cool side hides? Most BPs won't accept food if they're out in the open- wait to feed until he's looking out of his hide, at night. And until then, don't offer too frequently, that just adds stress (for both of you, lol).

Double-check his temps. anyway though...how are you taking his temps.? Don't rely just on what a thermostat says, double check where the snake is- and do so with an accurate method. How are you taking his temps? When it's winter & your room/home gets cooler, their enclosure can lose more heat than you might think- & what worked in fall & summer, might not be okay now.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (02-02-2021),Hugsplox (02-02-2021)