Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,861

1 members and 2,860 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

going to a reptile expo this year need some advice

going to a reptile expo this year first one ever looking for some advice to ask the vender/breeder best top 5 would be best

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts
    I'm going to assume you mean to tell if they are taking care of their animals properly. If I misunderstood, please correct me.

1. What is your process for dealing with a new animal in your collection?

Could set off red flags about quarantine process, feeding way too soon, and a number of other things.

2. Once established, how do you keep your animals through different life stages as far as enclosure size, substrate, water dishes, hides, and anything else?

Everyone has a different standard here, but you can see how their ideals align with your own. Personally I don't have a problem in the world with racks, but want to know appropriate sized tubs are being used, and like to see enrichment for species that it is more important to. People pointing out exceptions always makes me feel better that they really care about the animals and are processing them somewhat on an individual basis, like I know JKR has pointed out a similar situation to what one of my males was having where he was just not happy being moved up to a much larger tub, so he put him back in the smaller one for just a little longer and tried again in a couple months. Someone who doesn't care about their animals probably isn't even going to notice the increase in that animals stress, let alone patiently change what they are doing to accommodate the animal.

3. How do you track the care of your animals, such as feeding, sheds, cleaning?

There are a lot of ways to do this, and the particular method they use isn't really that important, but the way they explain it can set off red flags or show that the person uses the data in a helpful way to make sure each animal is healthy and doesn't need to be evaluated for health issues.

4. What made you decide to start breeding?

Like the 2nd question, we are all going to have different opinions on the right answer here, but you can figure out how it matches your own ideals.

Those are really the only major things on the top of my head I would ask for most species, but specialty species have their own questions unique to the species. Is the animal I am interested in buying WC, CB, or CBB? If not CBB, what treatments has it had, and can I see the feeding record? That is a very important question for some species, while others it's pretty safe to assume it is CBB unless specifically stated.
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-31-2021),Hugsplox (02-01-2021)

Thanks

Re: going to a reptile expo this year need some advice

i already know what breed of snake i want only question i know on hand to ask is if it eating frozen thawed or live anything else i should ask a vender?

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    As a subset of #3, I like to see a feeding record included with the animal, so you know how many times each snake has fed so far (especially for young ones), and specifically WHAT it ate. So many come on here with a new animal & they have no idea when the animal actually hatched/or was born, much less when it's due to feed & how challenging it was to feed in the past.

It's all relevant & any snakes I've ever bred always had that information & more ("how to care for" instructions included). I want to know if the person breeding & selling animals actually cares whether the animals live or die, & it's a good indication they don't much care (that it's all about $ for them) if they don't give you the information to help your success with that animal.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (02-01-2021),Hugsplox (02-01-2021),nikkubus (01-31-2021),Sonny1318 (02-01-2021)

Thanks

i agree with that i bought my burmese python 4 years ago and she 13ft now she never giving me a problem eating the person i bought her from off craiglist gave me a full list of what she ate from day one and her feeding what day he feed her and her temperment and how well she was

BPnet Senior Member Lord Sorril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,091 Posts

Expos usually have a list of vendors posted ahead of time: After I picked out the reputable breeders in advance, examined their websites and feedback, and set my budget---my normal questions are:

1. Can I hold it? (then examine the specimen for abnormalities/mites)
    2. What is he/she eating?
    3. When was the last time he/she ate?
    4. Is that price firm?
    5. Can I get a discount if I buy more than one?

If I see a price tag that is unusually low on one I am interested: I will ask: 'That is a good price...is there a reason why you aren't charging more?' (usually there will be one). Of course I have also had them forget the 'zero' on the price. That $400- should read $4000-...
    *.* TNTC

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lord Sorril For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-31-2021),nikkubus (01-31-2021)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Look up the sellers listed at the expo first. That will save some time an you can read about the breeder, find web sites an check Morph market for feedback if any.

Then it's handle the snakes you like an see if one "talks" to you. Knowing what they eat is secondary after finding the "one". What happens first is the research an tank prep. Get your tank dialed in a week or more before you get a snake/pet. Then you decide if I find the "one" an it eats live, will I still get it. If so, set up a rodent cage also. The expo will have live an frozen prey. If I bring a new snake home form a show I normally don't feed for two weeks. Yes, sometimes you will sooner if the noodle is young. An rat snakes, they would eat on the ride home if I fed them.

One thing I find important is cash. Cash can get you a better price. X dollars in your pocket will not let you over spend. Credit is the devil Ever go for one thing at a show or store an come back with a car full. Expos are like that with a Visa

If you don't see what you want, don't settle. There will be other shows. Talk to the dealers, get cards an web info. Get on a wait list if the snake has limited breeders an availability.

Sometimes Expos are a goldmine for info. Local breeders an groups you didn't know about. Local prey breeders are very useful. Ask the sellers/breeders what Vet they use, look the Vet up. If they don't know I walk.

Sometimes it's good just to go an look. Don't buy anything just look, get cards, check out the equipment an sellers. They'll be at the next show.

Good luck!
    Last edited by 303_enfield; 01-31-2021 at 09:34 PM.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 303_enfield For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-31-2021),GoingPostal (02-01-2021),nikkubus (01-31-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts
    Also find out if the vendor produced the critter, and if not, how long he has had it. There are vendors who have critters shipped in Tuesday thru Friday, and the animal lands on a table at an expo on Saturday.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-31-2021),nikkubus (01-31-2021),Sonny1318 (02-01-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    Also find out if the vendor produced the critter, and if not, how long he has had it. There are vendors who have critters shipped in Tuesday thru Friday, and the animal lands on a table at an expo on Saturday.
    Very glad you mentioned that- it would be easy to assume the seller is also the breeder. (No wonder there's so many mites making the rounds at expos...)
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)