Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,483

1 members and 2,482 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Getting used to a Ball Python, need tips.

I've had him since around christmas, and hes been eating frequently, so the next time I go to pet him/pick him up I will be sure to remind myself that the only thing a bite will do is scare me

Thanks
    Thanked 19,795 Times in 11,828 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    It's a ball python, not a bear....

Wise words, these ^ ^ ^
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (01-31-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,898 Times in 2,993 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by guywithaballpython View Post
    I've had him since around christmas, and hes been eating frequently, so the next time I go to pet him/pick him up I will be sure to remind myself that the only thing a bite will do is scare me
    Even if you did get a nip ( extremely unlikely) .. it’s no worse than when you catch yourself on a rose bush

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 572 Posts
    A little personal idea from what I do with my own BP; whenever I want to take him out, I do a couple light taps on the top of the hide he spends most of his time in with my finger. It's a gentle alert to him that I'm there with the intention of handling him. Notably, I never do this when it's feeding time and just present the meal at the hide entrance so there's no confusion as to my intentions. He's never bitten nor tried to bite me thus far.

Thanks

I usually feed my BP with metal tweezers, so I'm sure he wouldnt mistake me for food.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,898 Times in 2,993 Posts

I usually feed my BP with metal tweezers, so I'm sure he wouldnt mistake me for food.
    I use long plastic kitchen ‘tweezers’ with rounded edges

I’ve never liked the thought of them chomping down on metal . .

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-02-2021),Hugsplox (02-02-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    I use long plastic kitchen ‘tweezers’ with rounded edges

I’ve never liked the thought of them chomping down on metal . .

Me either, I have a pair of metal feeding thongs, but the entire ends that hold the prey item are coated in a thick rubber to prevent injury.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-02-2021),Zincubus (02-02-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hugsplox View Post
    Me either, I have a pair of metal feeding thongs, but the entire ends that hold the prey item are coated in a thick rubber to prevent injury.
    Mine are all metal, & over the years the times that a snake actually got a hold of my tongs have been far & few between- in part because of the way I offer the prey with the rodent "facing forward" & sticking out well in front of the tongs holding them. I do remember having to wrestle the tongs away from my large BCI at least once though- that wasn't fun. I wonder if snakes can release the tongs easily enough if their teeth are gripping the tongs with rubber coating though? Has that ever been an issue?

Anyway, it helps to "know your snakes"- now, I tend to dangle the rodents by the tail for my most ferocious feeders (my large FL rat snakes). Some of my snakes (like the Trans Pecos) even take their rodents "politely" from the tongs. And some, like my 1.5 year old FL rat snakes are drop-feeders now -they keep changing their minds? So much variety in snakes.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Hugsplox (02-02-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Mine are all metal, & over the years the times that a snake actually got a hold of my tongs have been far & few between- in part because of the way I offer the prey with the rodent "facing forward" & sticking out well in front of the tongs holding them. I do remember having to wrestle the tongs away from my large BCI at least once though- that wasn't fun. I wonder if snakes can release the tongs easily enough if their teeth are gripping the tongs with rubber coating though? Has that ever been an issue?

Anyway, it helps to "know your snakes"- now, I tend to dangle the rodents by the tail for my most ferocious feeders (my large FL rat snakes). Some of my snakes (like the Trans Pecos) even take their rodents "politely" from the tongs. And some, like my 1.5 year old FL rat snakes are drop-feeders now -they keep changing their minds? So much variety in snakes.
    I started using them for smaller things like bearded dragons and geckos because those guys can't not bite the thongs. When I started keeping hognoses and of course later my BP, I just kept using them (a different set for each animal of course). I feed the same way that you do, that "Facing forward" technique, usually with the thongs way in the back so I can release as soon as the snake grabs.

That being said, apart from the occasional hognose mock strike, I've never had one of the snakes actually bite the thongs so I'm not sure if their teeth would stick in the rubber, it's hard rubber just not metal hard, so I'm not sure, but it's always possible especially with something that has tiny teeth like a BP. Something worth keeping in mind for anyone who's thinking about, or currently, using them.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-02-2021)

Thanks

I've touched him a couple times, both times he didn't show any aggression but instead hid his head, and when he did I left him alone. I am more scared about the shock of being bit than the pain, as itll scare the heck outta me.
    Back to this situation: a ball python hiding his head when you touch him is just afraid. Personally, what I would do in this situation is to briefly "pet" him lightly mid-body, then gently pick him up with my hands underneath his body & cuddle him close to me for a while so he can learn that he's not under "attack". Don't try to force his head if he still "hides"- just be patient & supportive.

Please don't panic if he finally looks at you either. Just keep in mind that snakes rely on their instincts to survive, & in the wild, the only thing that normally picks them up is a predator that's about to EAT them. He has every reason to fear you.

So please remember that you aren't the only one that's scared of being bitten...so is your snake! You have a lot in common, so try to relax and communicate that to him by your touch. If you wait for him to bravely look at you before you try to handle him, you might be waiting a very long time, as this (hiding) is what's "working" for him...each time, you've been going away, lol.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Hugsplox (02-04-2021)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast