Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,920

2 members and 2,918 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 462 Posts

Snake relocation question

A big section of fence in my back yard blew down in a recent storm, and I'm having it replaced. The guys working on it came to me today with an adorable little Sharp-tailed snake that they found under the leaves when removing the old fence. He wasn't harmed at all.

These tiny colubrids are shy and secretive and they mainly eat slugs. I'd like to keep the little guy safe until the fence is built and then release him back in my yard. But I'm worried about keeping him in captivity until then - he's so small (about 8" long) that I worry about disrupting his normal living conditions for even a few days - they are apparently most active when it's very damp and chilly. I'm not sure I can find slugs for him, though maybe he'd eat some of the nightcrawlers I have on hand for my young Garters.

He's currently in a tub on a thick layer of damp coconut husk substrate with some leaf litter, a water bowl, and a hide (he's hanging out in the hide) so I'm hoping he is reasonably comfortable.

I was thinking I could just release him tomorrow in a different area of the yard that has a similar microclimate, but it's my understanding that snakes don't do well with relocation. Or would it be best to just wait several days until the fence is done, even though that means probably not eating, being in an artificial environment that's much warmer than what he's used to this time of year, and then having to quickly re-adjust to the much cooler temps outside?

I know I am fretting a lot over one tiny snake, but I want to be sure he's OK. Thoughts? Suggestions? Photo below; he's a pretty little snake.[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Caitlin; 01-30-2021 at 03:37 AM.
    1.0 Jungle Carpet Python 'Ziggy'
    1.0 Bredl's Python 'Calcifer'
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 'Mara'
    1.1 Tarahumara Mountain Boas 'Paco' and 'Frida'
    2.0 Dumeril's Boas 'Gyre' and 'Titan'
    1.0 Stimson's Python 'Jake'
    1.1 Children's Pythons 'Miso' and 'Ozzy'
    1.0 Anthill Python 'Cricket'
    1.0 Plains Hognose 'Peanut'
    1.1 Rough-scaled Sand Boas 'Rassi' and 'Kala'
    1.0 Ball Python (BEL) 'Sugar'
    1.0 Gray-banded Kingsnake 'Nacho'
    1.0 Green Tree Python (Aru) 'Jade'

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Caitlin For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-30-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts
    I wouldn't think the other side of the yard would hurt him at all, certainly less stress than being in captivity for a few days, especially if you don't have slugs on hand. It's been pretty rainy here the last few days, not sure if it's the same there, but if so, I would think it would be pretty easy to find slugs in outdoor leaf litter if you are inclined to still keep him inside till the fence is done.
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

4. The Following User Says Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

Caitlin (01-30-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,792 Times in 11,827 Posts
    Personally I'd just wait a few days, then put him back out. The other side of the yard might be okay too, but he might also try to find his original location & get "in the way". He should be fine not eating for a few days anyway- just give him water & stuff to hide in.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 01-30-2021 at 01:18 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Caitlin (01-30-2021)