Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 986

4 members and 982 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Super frustrated with temps!!!!!!

Ok so i posted before but didnt really solve the issue 100%. I got a pro products rhp for my diy cage. So he taylored it to my needs. Problem is i have used two different thermostats thinking that was the issue but it does the same thing. I have the thermostat set to 90 on day and night. Its an exo terra thermostat. It never really gets up to temp set and then at night the temp drops. The room is 68-72 degrees. Wth???? Do i need to get a better thermostat?? Im so confused and i dont want my boa getting sick. The surface temps are still ok...key work ok but not where i would like. How can i get these temps where i want and keep them there. Im thinking of ordering a helix thermostat. Tips pls guys

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts
    Are both thermostats the same model? Where is your probe? Where is it that you are measuring 85? Something tells me if two are doing the same things its either a settings issue or something about where you are placing the probe vs where you are measuring the temp.
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    How large is the enclosure? What is it made of? Are there a lot of ventilation holes that would let heat escape? Why does the room ambient temp swing so much?

Thanks

Re: Super frustrated with temps!!!!!!

The cage is made from wood. I dont remember the exact measurements . I gave all that info to the guy at pro products. It has 4 vent holes on the side. I have tried two different placements for the probe. It does the same on both, i have tried under the panel mid way down and on the cool end set to the desired cool end temp. I have no idea why such huge temp swings other than my house is old. Wouldnt a pulse proportional thermostat make up for the swings???

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Newtot View Post
    ... I gave all that info to the guy at pro products...
    How do you expect us to try to help you here if we don't have the details? It matters or we wouldn't ask.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (01-29-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    How do you expect us to try to help you here if we don't have the details? It matters or we wouldn't ask.
    Ok well the enclosure is roughly 34" by 18" x 18". It has 2 vents on each side, its made from wood. The rhp is from pro products its a 60watt. He recommended that size for what i have. The thermostat is the exo terra 600 watt dimmer/pulse proportional. Ill be honest i still dont know if there is a way to switch back and forth between dimmer and pulse. Lol i could not figure that out and tried searching online. The other thermostat i tried was just an on off one. I was assured by pro products that any would work. I still dont know why there is such a huge difference between night and day, i have both night and day set to the same temp. Im measuring surface temps with heat gun and ambient with zoo med thermometer with probe

Thanks

Also i did tell him my house stays between 68-72 degrees. So im hoping its user error a d i got tge right watt size in rhp lol

Thanks

Sorry my phone is stupid lol

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nikkubus View Post
    Are both thermostats the same model? Where is your probe? Where is it that you are measuring 85? Something tells me if two are doing the same things its either a settings issue or something about where you are placing the probe vs where you are measuring the temp.
    No the thermostats are 2 different models. The 85 degrees is what is displayed on the thermostat. Even tho its set to 90 and according to the thermostat is running at full power. Idk its weird bc if i were to p lik ug it directly into the wall im sure it would get much hotter bc we did that when we were setting everything up just to see what it would do, no animal in it of course. The other thermostat did the exact same and i tried putting the probe mid way down on the hot side set to 90 and on the cool side set to 82.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nikkubus View Post
    Also when i put the probe on the cool end and set to 82 it would get surface temps reading like 100 on the basking log during the day, then drop significantly at night. I am so confused

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast