Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,405

1 members and 1,404 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,824 Times in 11,843 Posts

Re: Got a new ball python, worrying about picking him up

Quote Originally Posted by guywithaballpython View Post
    I have had a ball python for around a month now...... but I'm worried about him biting because hes bit before when we were putting him in his enclosure, any tips?
    Just remember that other than "honest mistakes" that a snake might make at feeding time (confusing our heat signature & motion with prey they can smell nearby), their bites are all about fear of us & self-defense. They feel the MOST afraid when we approach them -this is understandable, because we're a big scary blur that might be a predator heading their way- remember they don't make accurate identifications by vision alone, so they're easily confused. They rely more on scent, heat signatures & their sense of touch (there's a big difference between the way a predator scoops them up or grabs them).

The other time some also bite is when they feel suddenly insecure, as when being put back into a container- the lack of traction, sense of falling & being still unsure about humans can make them bite defensively. None of this means your snake is "mean", just be patient & reassuring when you hold him. Snakes learn our scent & touch with repeated contacts. I also find that short handlings (that some even recommend? ) tend to make a snake MORE nervous, because remember, they're most nervous when being approached, and when being put back. See what I mean? But when you sit back & relax for a while holding a pet snake, even if they don't sit still (& most do not), they do learn to relax & recognize us. When you first hold a snake, keep your hands "quiet" & underneath him as much as possible. I hold snakes close to me too, so they feel sheltered, knowing they are more afraid (of predators) when out in the open (like at arm's length).

This all gets easier, & snake bites from harmless snakes like BPs are underwhelming anyway. When you pay attention to your snake's body language, you'll find nearly all bites are preventable. Another way ppl get "tagged" is reaching into their enclosure, like to pick up something- your snake won't identify you from even a short distance, without your touch & scent, & may try to tag you, assuming that your warm & wiggling hand is a rodent. So just avoid doing that. You can hold a piece of cardboard between your snake & what you need to pick up to block his vision temporarily- this will prevent a silly bite.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (01-28-2021)

Thanks

He shed before we got him, which was around christmas, hes definitely going into shed. I tried feeding him yesterday, he looked like he was ready to strike it but didnt and instead tried to attack us. He may be going into shed and .ay ve angry which explains the strike. Hes usually a calm snake.

Thanks

The temps are relatively good, I broke my daytime light but I'm getting a mew one today. I'll look into the temp gun

Thanks

Once I get a replacement daytime light I'll have one on one side and another on the other to keep him up.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,244 Times in 667 Posts
    Get yourself a snake hook and take a look at posts here. Pretty sure daski Dave has a great post on hooks and using it.

I hook all my snakes from the smallest to the largest. To me it’s a respect thing and letting them know I’m coming and snapping them out of food mode.

it will make you feel calm as well and I don’t go a day without using one.

best advise I ever got coming to this forum for sure
    1.0 - Cinnamon Banana Ball Python (Thunder)
    1.0 - Yellow Belly High White Pied Ball Python (Pretty Fly For A White Guy)
    0.1 - Cinnamon GHI Ball Python (Leslie Snipes)
    1.0 - Dumerils Boa (Sushi)
    0.1 - Caye Caulker Boa (Lady Liberty)
    0.0.? - Mandarin Rat Snake (Bumble)
    1.0 - Mexican Black King (Rico Suave)
    1.0 - Black Tail Cribo (Goldar)
    0.1 - Jaguar Carpet Python (Cookie)
    1.0 - Vietnamese Blue Beauty (Elsa)
    1.0 - Green Tree Python (Banner)
    0.2 - Yellow/Quince Monitors (Blanche & Dorothy)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phillydubs For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-29-2021),dakski (01-31-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Got a new ball python, worrying about picking him up

Quote Originally Posted by guywithaballpython View Post
    I have had a ball python for around a month now and hes had all the right temps and humidity and hes ate around 7-8 times but I'm worried about him biting because hes bit before when we were putting him in his enclosure, any tips?
    Royals are the Golden Labradors of the snake world .. they will only normally bite if they’re scared or anxious ( like when you moved if into it’s new hone ) .

If it’s been settled for a while and feeding great then I’m certain it will be fine to handle . Just leave 36/48 hours for a meal to digest each time .

If you’re initially ( understandably) nervous then either get a cheap 4 dollar snake hook off eBay ..

You really don’t need a hook for a Royal / Ball python but you can use it to just keep it’s head / teeth away from you

Either wait until it’s roaming or lift the hide off it then guide the head gently away from you then get hold of it about five inches down from it’s head then you can put the hook down and use your other hand to lift the lower part it’s body up .

Once it’s in your hands it’s best to quickly sit down on a sofa or even the floor .. that way you can let it kinda explore around you safely whilst always keeping at least one hand on it .

They have to feel safe so you can’t have them dangling down when you’re holding them .. if they feel uncertain they will jerk around .

Be careful , watch their heads .. not for biting but they will quickly go down the side of the sofa or a radiator or whatever is close by .

Note when you’re feeding a snake there’s always the chance they will strike and bite you instead of the rodent but I put those down as your errors - not snake bites .
    They are just attracted by your body heat which is why partly why I use a hairdryer to warm the mouse /rat up well before offering
    Last edited by Zincubus; 01-30-2021 at 03:48 PM.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-30-2021),EL-Ziggy (01-31-2021),Hugsplox (02-01-2021)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12