Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,703

0 members and 2,703 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull

Thread: Pied help

Thanks

Pied help

Hey all, happy Monday ...

I have a new addition to my collection, though I didn’t think I’d get into recessive genes so quickly here I am.
    I have a beautiful pied female, the guy I bought her off of said “she could be Het ghost...”.., not a lot of information on this deal as it was a frustrated owner, she was a problem eater for novice owner... she was very small 2020 baby, when I got her she was 160<- striking and killed the prey, but not eat ..1st was live mice which previous owner fed her, she didn’t eat, then I switched to rat hoppers and here we are 4 meals in doing well for now

1) Genes? Any advice I’ve looked at some pied, (A LOT!!) most with her colors, as she is very bright orange are OD/YB.., again guy never mentioned other genes but ghost, I’m thinking OD, but again I am no expert in pied, I have no other information as the deal had to be made for her as you can see

2) I feed her 2 hoppers back to back last feeding. She is eating live, I want to eventually switch, but is it ok to keep 2x feeding her, like I want to switch to F/T but I don’t want to keep wasting them as none of my other snakes eating such little meals. Idk any suggestions on problem feeders ...she is eating but I don’t want to keep double feeding her feel me

(Pics on they way)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks

Re: Pied help

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts
    Doesn't look like YB or OD pied to me, looks like plain pied. Pied doesn't just add white patches, it really condenses the color up into the areas that have it, so you see much brighter colors than you ever would on a normal. As they grow, that orangey color does really tame down, but as babies they can be pretty bright in the side areas.

Take a look at some OD and YB pieds and you will notice not only how much brighter they are, but how the black surrounding the dorsal stripe behaves. OD have a lot less black there, where YB have much more defined thick black with less of the smoky/blushed look.

The way I see it, snakes almost never have anything the breeder didn't say they do and I consider them as such until breeding them and proving they have something else going on, even if they really look like they might. Breeder knows what he paired, if there was any question she was od or yb based on parents and he just couldn't identify it, he would say something like "Pied pos YB pos het ghost" to let you know there is a chance. They don't want to give you extra morphs for free, at the very least they would want an edge over another person selling a pied at the same price, right?

All that said, she is gorgeous! No two pieds look exactly the same, and you got a really nice one. I really like her little anchor-shaped stripe tip at her head, that's pretty unique.
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

Alicia (01-25-2021),Bogertophis (01-25-2021),GoingPostal (01-25-2021),Ronniex2 (02-05-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,864 Times in 1,497 Posts

She is very nice looking. If it were me, I'd plan to let her grow up for a year, then pick up a Male that is visual Ghost with het Pied and maybe another co-dom gene or two that you really like such as YB, Fire, OD , etc., some kind of brightening gene. Then when she is ready you put them together. If she is het Ghost, using a visual Ghost male you should have pretty good odds of finding out as he will throw het with every egg. And since she is visual Pied and he is het, the odds say you should end up with about 50% Pied. Worst case is if she isn't het Ghost, everything the pairing produces will be, because the male is visual, and everything else will be Pied or het for Pied. Good luck and welcome to the recessive side.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rlditmars For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-25-2021),nikkubus (01-25-2021),Ronniex2 (01-26-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rlditmars View Post
    She is very nice looking. If it were me, I'd plan to let her grow up for a year, then pick up a Male that is visual Ghost with het Pied and maybe another co-dom gene or two that you really like such as YB, Fire, OD , etc., some kind of brightening gene. Then when she is ready you put them together. If she is het Ghost, using a visual Ghost male you should have pretty good odds of finding out as he will throw het with every egg. And since she is visual Pied and he is het, the odds say you should end up with about 50% Pied. Worst case is if she isn't het Ghost, everything the pairing produces will be, because the male is visual, and everything else will be Pied or het for Pied. Good luck and welcome to the recessive side.
    Stellar advice for figuring out if she is het, and producing some great babies worth selling regardless if she is or isn't. That is exactly the type of pairing I would do with her. Even the "normals" produced would be 100% double het and worth something.
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

rlditmars (01-26-2021),Ronniex2 (01-26-2021)

Thanks

Well thanks a lot guys, truly appreciate it ... I did do some research on the possibilities but pied the Het ghost I’ve seen look very similar and I’m probably going to go with the a ghost Het pied ... it be winner winner either way

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nikkubus View Post
    Doesn't look like YB or OD pied to me, looks like plain pied. Pied doesn't just add white patches, it really condenses the color up into the areas that have it, so you see much brighter colors than you ever would on a normal. As they grow, that orangey color does really tame down, but as babies they can be pretty bright in the side areas.

Take a look at some OD and YB pieds and you will notice not only how much brighter they are, but how the black surrounding the dorsal stripe behaves. OD have a lot less black there, where YB have much more defined thick black with less of the smoky/blushed look.

The way I see it, snakes almost never have anything the breeder didn't say they do and I consider them as such until breeding them and proving they have something else going on, even if they really look like they might. Breeder knows what he paired, if there was any question she was od or yb based on parents and he just couldn't identify it, he would say something like "Pied pos YB pos het ghost" to let you know there is a chance. They don't want to give you extra morphs for free, at the very least they would want an edge over another person selling a pied at the same price, right?

All that said, she is gorgeous! No two pieds look exactly the same, and you got a really nice one. I really like her little anchor-shaped stripe tip at her head, that's pretty unique.
    Yes I do thank you for the input ... I did some looking and your right ... OD and YB pied looks a lot diff than her ..
    I jus have no idea what I am looking at or for with these damm recessive genes that’s the frustrating part ...not to mention having to wait