Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 590

0 members and 590 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
    Thanks

ETB light and eating question

So I have a ETB with a bulb (can't remember exactly what type) but its on a thermostat. I have set the night and day temps but majority of the time the bulb is on. At night it is dimmer than the day but will this affect the ETB? It moves around alot at night which is expected but dunno if it will cause confusion as its not lights out. Other question is since I got him I was advised to feed him only after he poops. I know the metabolism is slower than other snakes so is this good advice? He hasn't pooped in 3 weeks so just checking if I should feed again or wait

Thanks
    I will assume Northern ETB with my reply.

I would definatley replace the bulb for heat. Swith to a radiant heat panel on thermostat.

ETB's stress easily, and the dimming of that bulb randomly, may cause him some stress.

I breed ETBs, and feed about every 3 weeks.

Was it wild caught, or CBB?
    Husbandry.Pro
    Professional Reptile Tracking Software

https://husbandry.pro

Thanks

Re: ETB light and eating question

Quote Originally Posted by Husbandry.Pro View Post
    I will assume Northern ETB with my reply.

I would definatley replace the bulb for heat. Swith to a radiant heat panel on thermostat.

ETB's stress easily, and the dimming of that bulb randomly, may cause him some stress.

I breed ETBs, and feed about every 3 weeks.

Was it wild caught, or CBB?
    Its a northern yes. I think its a basking bulb nearly sure it was arcadia brand anyway. Im not sure if it generates light that the snake can see? OK perfect hes only a baby at the moment cb 20. Thanks for your reply. Its my first ETB and the cost is forcing me to question everything. A bucket list snake for me so I just don't wanna risk anything. I spray his enclosure twice a day also to keep humidity up

Thanks

So a red bulb? I just picture a bulb acting like a heartbeat if it's attached to a thermostat - dimming and getting bright constantly. I've never used them with a thermostat.

With a CBB animal, it's less of a concern if well established.

The key with ETBs is to have good ventilation, and high humidity. Temps requirements aren't as high as many other species also. Make sure he can go from a hot side of 85-87, to a cool of 77.

Neonates I keep in tubs, with belly heat, cage constant 84f, large water dish on bottom. Screen cut out for top. Spray 1x per day.

My 6mo - 2 year old setups are heat lamp to one side (red ones), in a standard front opening cage and screen top - and mistkings spraying 3x per day.

Adults, are in 30" x 24 x 24 PVC, with Radiant Heat - Hot side 85, cold side 74. Lights on 10 hours. Mistikings spraying 3x per day.

Hope that helps!
    Husbandry.Pro
    Professional Reptile Tracking Software

https://husbandry.pro

Thanks
    Thanked 1,020 Times in 465 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by D0bber View Post
    Its a northern yes. I think its a basking bulb nearly sure it was arcadia brand anyway. Im not sure if it generates light that the snake can see? OK perfect hes only a baby at the moment cb 20. Thanks for your reply. Its my first ETB and the cost is forcing me to question everything. A bucket list snake for me so I just don't wanna risk anything. I spray his enclosure twice a day also to keep humidity up
    If it's not giving off light than it's basking bulb. Is it ceramic? Or is it red? Either way, it'll work, but I wouldn't worry about dimming it. However, a radiant heat panel will work better because it won't suck up humidity.

Spraying by hand will also work, but you need to keep the humidity HIGH or you'll be plucking eye caps, so I recommend a mistking, depending on your enclosure, to keep it easy. Spray the enclosure, not the snake.

Are you sure it's CBB? Most on the market are wild caught. Wild caught can have parasites and such that can effect eating, so it does make a difference.
    Start your own dubia roach colony with Roach Rancher!

Instagram - @AliceAnaconda

0.1.0 Cat "Anna"
    -----
    1.1.0 Emerald Tree Boa "Amanda & Samantha"
    0.1.0 Merauke Scrub Python "Victoria"
    0.1.0 Titanium Reticulated Python "Alice"
    1.0.0 Eastern Indigo
    -----
    0.0.4 Alligator Snapping Turtle "Deborah"
    0.0.2 Florida Snapping Turtles
    0.0.1 Cuvier's Dwarf Caiman "Caroline"
    0.0.1 100% Het Black Dragon Asian Water Monitor
    -----
    0.0.1 Antilles Pink Toe Tarantula "Katherine"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wnateg View Post
    If it's not giving off light than it's basking bulb. Is it ceramic? Or is it red? Either way, it'll work, but I wouldn't worry about dimming it. However, a radiant heat panel will work better because it won't suck up humidity.

Spraying by hand will also work, but you need to keep the humidity HIGH or you'll be plucking eye caps, so I recommend a mistking, depending on your enclosure, to keep it easy. Spray the enclosure, not the snake.

Are you sure it's CBB? Most on the market are wild caught. Wild caught can have parasites and such that can effect eating, so it does make a difference.
    It gives off light and heat but I know some species dont see light as we do which is why I was a tad confused but its not ceramic or red. Ya 100% cbb from Germany. The set up is habistat viv most top the rest is enclosed. I hand mist twice a day and have a mix substrate to hold the humidity in it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,020 Times in 465 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by D0bber View Post
    It gives off light and heat but I know some species dont see light as we do which is why I was a tad confused but its not ceramic or red. Ya 100% cbb from Germany. The set up is habistat viv most top the rest is enclosed. I hand mist twice a day and have a mix substrate to hold the humidity in it.
    Then at the minimum, I would switch the bulb to like a 100W ceramic on a dimmer with a different source of light. Nothing wants 24/7 of light, dimmed or not. Then use a heat gun to dim the bulb until it's like 88F max. Or better yet, get a radiant heat panel on a thermostat. I'm sure the cbb cost you pretty decent, so I wouldn't skimp on proper husbandry.
    Last edited by wnateg; 01-25-2021 at 02:02 PM.
    Start your own dubia roach colony with Roach Rancher!

Instagram - @AliceAnaconda

0.1.0 Cat "Anna"
    -----
    1.1.0 Emerald Tree Boa "Amanda & Samantha"
    0.1.0 Merauke Scrub Python "Victoria"
    0.1.0 Titanium Reticulated Python "Alice"
    1.0.0 Eastern Indigo
    -----
    0.0.4 Alligator Snapping Turtle "Deborah"
    0.0.2 Florida Snapping Turtles
    0.0.1 Cuvier's Dwarf Caiman "Caroline"
    0.0.1 100% Het Black Dragon Asian Water Monitor
    -----
    0.0.1 Antilles Pink Toe Tarantula "Katherine"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wnateg View Post
    Then at the minimum, I would switch the bulb to like a 100W ceramic on a dimmer with a different source of light. Nothing wants 24/7 of light, dimmed or not. Then use a heat gun to dim the bulb until it's like 88F max. Or better yet, get a radiant heat panel on a thermostat. I'm sure the cbb cost you pretty decent, so I wouldn't skimp on proper husbandry.
    I managed to find it its a 100w arcadia solarspot. I have the light in the quarantine room on from 7 till 6 as its winter so the reptiles in there can distinguish day from night. Heat panels in this country are hard to get so hard that I have never seen one. I just went with what was given to me being honest. Ya a pretty penny surely but thats the joys of this hobby 1 minute I have a corn snake the next I've 25k worth of animals and equipment 🤣🤣 ill defo look into the ceramic and see if I can source a heat panel