Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,024

2 members and 3,022 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

WILD CAUGHT Retic is INJURED!

Hi Guys,

first of all, before all the negative comments, I'd like to say that I am an animal lover and in no way do i encourage wild-caught animals for the purpose of making money in the pet trade.

I live in Java, Indonesia where Reticulated Pythons are wild and sometimes live in swamps/forests near urban areas.
    Last night, a wild Reticulated Python (Juve/adult) comes into my factory grounds and my security guard manage to secure it.
    I have to highlight that this Retic is WILD-caught. but has calm manners.
    [IMG]file:///C:/Users/User/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image001.png[/IMG]

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/User/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image002.png[/IMG]
    upon closer inspection, this morning I realized that it has injury on its neck area. Wound looks like it's healing. (circle ReD)
    1. what do you think caused this injury? My guess is that a fight with local wild Asian Monitor Lizard (Salvator) or perhaps a previous injury from being captured?

2. solution / actions?
    I have applied some iodine solution to disinfect the wound.
    [IMG]file:///C:/Users/User/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image003.png[/IMG]

My hope is to keep this animal. I am planning to build a 4'x 8' enclosure for it and tips would be appreciated as this will be my first time having a Retic.
    Experience with Boa, Ball python and Cornsnake before.

Let's keep this discussion positive! Would like to know what do you guys think about him.
    ~KFG_Reptiles~

0.1 Mojave
    0.1 Enchi Pinstripe
    1.0 Queen Bee

Thanks
    Thanked 19,795 Times in 11,828 Posts
    Can't see pics so can't really comment about the snake. How big is he, approximately?

Dilute povidone-iodine/Betadine is acceptable for wounds on snakes. Also, Vetericyn ointment is a great choice if you can get it (here in the U.S. it's available in some pet stores & online)- it's made for reptile use, & unlike ointments (such as Neosporin or Polysporin) that are made for humans & other warm-blooded animals, Vetericyn is water-based & won't mess up future sheds.

Not sure that keeping a boa, BP & corn will adequately prepare you for keeping a retic, especially a wild-caught one. Current mellow attitude may be a result of health issues, & wild caughts are often suffering from heavy parasite loads, so once you get him healthy, he may be a lot more of a "hand-full" than he seems to be now. Just saying...these are not something I'd ever take in, but we all don't do the same things, nor possess the same skills. I used to rescue & keep rattlesnakes too, & I don't recommend those either. So no "soapbox" from me, but just know that for safety in handling a retic, you should have friends with snake experience on hand when you work with him or any really large constrictor.- end of "lecture".

This might help: https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...-Post-Pictures
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 01-25-2021 at 01:14 AM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (01-25-2021)

Thanks

Re: WILD CAUGHT Retic is INJURED!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~KFG_Reptiles~

0.1 Mojave
    0.1 Enchi Pinstripe
    1.0 Queen Bee

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KFG_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

BeansTheDerp (01-25-2021),Bogertophis (01-25-2021),nikkubus (01-25-2021)

Thanks

Additional pics

Sent from my SM-M307F using Tapatalk
    ~KFG_Reptiles~

0.1 Mojave
    0.1 Enchi Pinstripe
    1.0 Queen Bee

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KFG_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

BeansTheDerp (01-25-2021),Bogertophis (01-25-2021),nikkubus (01-25-2021)

Thanks
    That's a lot of snake, & really handsome. So I hope he does well for you...most healthy snakes that mature in the wild aren't keen on captivity, but sometimes with an older one that's slowing down, you get a sense that they welcome the "easy life". I've met both kinds myself. Wasn't into capturing snakes to intentionally keep, only kept those few that had issues & needed help, or that were in captivity too long with someone else that no longer wanted them, & they were then illegal for release.

It's late night here, but I hope others that have experience with retics will chime in- I suspect they will.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 01-25-2021 at 02:29 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

BeansTheDerp (01-25-2021)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    With your location I can see keeping a baby Retic or trapping one myself. With that being said, that Retic is too old an free to put in a cage. If your area doesn’t have a rescue to release it in a safe location then it’s your call.

I guess with those guys coming into the shop you don’t have a cat problem.

Good luck!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 303_enfield For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-25-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 303_enfield View Post
    With your location I can see keeping a baby Retic or trapping one myself. With that being said, that Retic is too old an free to put in a cage. If your area doesn’t have a rescue to release it in a safe location then it’s your call.

I guess with those guys coming into the shop you don’t have a cat problem.

Good luck!
    That's really my thinking too. A snake like this will probably end up injuring himself pushing endlessly on anything that's containing him. (Such snakes end up with abscessed faces that require surgery, something I'd guess is not locally available.) I can see having this snake for a short time, to rest & heal, but once he's feeling good, I'd release him. Personally, I'd also give him some de-worming medication too- I'll bet he needs it. A very young retic is apt to be a much better "pet" to keep...still not ideal though & may still get to be "too much pet".

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts
    I'd let it go. It's obviously doing fine to have gotten that size and is probably of a relatively significant age. Only deworm if it absolutely needs to be kept captive, which I don't feel it does. Deworming is just additional unnecessary stress for an animal that can clearly take care of itself in its natural environment where it should be left. They've done fine for millions of years eating scraggly, parasite ridden prey in the wild and this one will do fine as well.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (01-25-2021),Bogertophis (01-25-2021)