Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,895

0 members and 2,895 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Boa cage question!!!!!

Im building a cage and it looks great. Problem is instill smell the silicon. Days and days later. What did i do wrong? My rhp will be here tomorrow and i really want to get my girl in there but idk if it would harm her. Help????

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    What brand an type of silicon? I let my AP cages sit a month. One week is normally enough. Now, if the silicon has additives that can cause problems. One study said, "don't use any silicon with mold preventer in it". It "could" harm reptiles. But many DIY cages use it with no side effects.

If you have a hair dryer use it to speed up the curing. An get the tanks/cages temps where you need them for the Boa. That may help remove the smell.

If you put the bead on too thick, curing time takes longer. So wait or take it out an use a smaller bead. Blend bead in with tool or finger.

Good luck!
    Last edited by 303_enfield; 01-24-2021 at 03:14 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 303_enfield For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-24-2021)

Thanks

Re: Boa cage question!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 303_enfield View Post
    What brand an type of silicon? I let my AP cages sit a month. One week is normally enough. Now, if the silicon has additives that can cause problems. One study said, "don't use any silicon with mold preventer in it". It "could" harm reptiles. But many DIY cages use it with no side effects.

If you have a hair dryer use it to speed up the curing. An get the tanks/cages temps where you need them for the Boa. That may help remove the smell.

If you put the bead on too thick, curing time takes longer. So wait or take it out an use a smaller bead. Blend bead in with tool or finger.

Good luck!

Its ge silicon 1 so no additives. I covered all the seams and exposed wood with it so there is alot, i wasnt aware not to do that at the time. I only smell if if i close the cage and then open it. I think im gonna install the heat panel and let it run for a bit. See if that helps. I was so excited to put her in there now im bummed i may have messed it up after working so hard on it.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    As already noted, it will just "take as long as it takes" to cure now, & stop off-gassing. Heat & air flow (a fan) will help, but under no circumstances house your snake in this cage if ANY smell remains, as it's irritating to their lung. (Snakes pretty much have only one lung, they're also way smaller than us- so more affected by such things, especially since they'll be enclosed 24-7.) Your local humidity may also be affecting the drying time. It's always best to have a cage up & test-running for at least a week before installing a new occupant, but it's a mistake made by many.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    As already noted, it will just "take as long as it takes" to cure now, & stop off-gassing. Heat & air flow (a fan) will help, but under no circumstances house your snake in this cage if ANY smell remains, as it's irritating to their lung. (Snakes pretty much have only one lung, they're also way smaller than us- so more affected by such things, especially since they'll be enclosed 24-7.) Your local humidity may also be affecting the drying time. It's always best to have a cage up & test-running for at least a week before installing a new occupant, but it's a mistake made by many.
    I have had her for a while in a tub style enclosure so she is fine. She eats like a champ. Im gonna wait and make sure all smell is gone before i put her in there.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Newtot For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-24-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Oh hey, I've used the stuff (silicone sealant) before too- & made the mistake of putting it on thick, so it took way longer than I'd hoped for it to dry. Been there, done that.
    Very glad this wasn't cage-prep for a new snake with nowhere to go.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Oh hey, I've used the stuff (silicone sealant) before too- & made the mistake of putting it on thick, so it took way longer than I'd hoped for it to dry. Been there, done that.
    Very glad this wasn't cage-prep for a new snake with nowhere to go.

No she is in a sterilite tub with uth and ceramic heat emitter for ambient temp. Ita a pain in the rear but she is doing well!