Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,916

1 members and 2,915 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts

Yeah, I can see what you mean- you'd want something about a half an ounce, I guess, according to this ^ ^ ^. What about some other kind of chicks? I think there's an online source of quail chicks?

Here it is, just in case you want to try quail chicks: https://www.laynelabs.com/other-feeders/frozen-quail
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 02-05-2021 at 08:57 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks
    Using Layne triples my price and I get less for the money, so I went with the rodentpro chicks. They're large... but I'm hoping I could remove the heads.

I'm loosing my faith with him, though. He isn't progressing at all and just keeps loosing weight. I did another tube feed as the vet recommended, and now 2 days later I've found him all dehydrated despite my efforts for high humidity.. I got him to drink a fair amount of water but he's just a sack of bones.
    1.0 Ball python (bananna pastel enchi) "PASTA"
    ?.? California kingsnake "DUTCH"
    1.0 Cornsnake (albino snow) "BUBBLEGUM"
    0.1 Ball python (piebald) "UMBRA"
    1.0 Borneo short tail python "SHAYMUS"
    1.0 Ball python (blade clown) "PICKLE"
    0.1 Ball python (Russo BEL) "TOOTHPASTE"
    1.0 Ball python (Albino pastave) "YOGURT"

Thanks

Re: Baby short tailed python not eating

Quote Originally Posted by Dinoanc View Post
    Using Layne triples my price and I get less for the money, so I went with the rodentpro chicks. They're large... but I'm hoping I could remove the heads.

I'm loosing my faith with him, though. He isn't progressing at all and just keeps loosing weight. I did another tube feed as the vet recommended, and now 2 days later I've found him all dehydrated despite my efforts for high humidity.. I got him to drink a fair amount of water but he's just a sack of bones.
    It can be very discouraging when you have one like this. That might work, your plan with the chicks- I hope so. I haven't fed many chicks, but as I recall they're quite digestible, so that will help them "stay down", hopefully. I know Layne Labs is pricey- they do have a good reputation at least.

BPnet Senior Member GoingPostal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 723 Posts
    I really feel you should go back to basics here, it's not the food that's the problem. He ate fine until November, when temps dropped. Your snake is either cold or feels insecure. Have you gotten your temps warmer? If his ambient is at 70, he's not going to eat. Your cage is really quite large and open for a baby short tail python, the hides look too large and aren't identical. I would go to a smaller tub, two tight hides, water bowl in the middle, deep substrate and leave him alone for a week before you offer anything and try to find live to offer.
    Last edited by GoingPostal; 02-09-2021 at 08:00 AM.

2.0 Python brongersmai
    1.1 Python breitensteini
    1.0 Python curtus
    1.0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Acrantophis dumerili
    1.0 Boa constrictor
    0.1 Heterodon nasiscus nasiscus
    0.0.1 Pantherophis guttatus

5. The Following User Says Thank You to GoingPostal For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-09-2021)

Thanks
    This is the kinda stuff I hate with the reptile community, lol. I made the enclosure larger because I was being hounded for having it so small and basic on a discord I'm in.

I can place him back in the 15qt I have if it won't stress him too much. I can go out and purchase other hides as well. As for temps, I'm using a bigger heat mat as was suggested. My ambient only improved slightly to 72ish, according to the temp gun. I wrapped a towel around the enclosure and I am reading 75f on the warmer side closest to hot spot.

Thanks
    Reddit is also suggesting I go out and purchase a 6qt tub. Which I can happily go to find.

BPnet Senior Member GoingPostal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 723 Posts
    6qt is what breeders usually recommend starting hatchlings in, if he was already in the 15qt and eating I'd try him back in that first but small and basic is exactly what baby snakes crave. He's not refusing food because of lack of enrichment or because he's bored, you have to learn to ignore people that are more concerned with it looking pretty or nice from a human perspective and realize from the snakes view, that's just a huge scary open space potentially full of predators. Good temps and feeling safe and secure is what gets snakes eating. Your ambient needs to be more around 78-81, I wouldn't want it dropping lower than 75 across the entire cage or you are looking at digestive and RI issues to pop up too.

2.0 Python brongersmai
    1.1 Python breitensteini
    1.0 Python curtus
    1.0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Acrantophis dumerili
    1.0 Boa constrictor
    0.1 Heterodon nasiscus nasiscus
    0.0.1 Pantherophis guttatus

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GoingPostal For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-09-2021),jmcrook (02-09-2021),nikkubus (02-09-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts

This is the kinda stuff I hate with the reptile community, lol. I made the enclosure larger because I was being hounded for having it so small and basic on a discord I'm in.
    Unfortunately there are a lot of people (with good intentions) that really don't understand what certain species of animals really need, and they demonize people who do because they think it's cruel to "confine animals to small spaces". Some animals that is cruel, but certain species of reptiles thrive in spaces much smaller than the average person would expect.
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

11. The Following User Says Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-09-2021)

Thanks

how do I raise a plastic tubs temp? I can't do a lamp or anything like that.
    before I upgraded to an AP cage, I used a tub, and I had a CHE hanging over one side for warmer ambient temps

the tub you are using it pretty tall so I'm not sure a CHE would have the same effectiveness as mine, but I bet it would raise temps in there at least somewhat.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andiamo For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (02-09-2021),nikkubus (02-09-2021)

Thanks

I can place him back in the 15qt I have if it won't stress him too much. I can go out and purchase other hides as well. As for temps, I'm using a bigger heat mat as was suggested. My ambient only improved slightly to 72ish, according to the temp gun. I wrapped a towel around the enclosure and I am reading 75f on the warmer side closest to hot spot.
    I think you finally answered your own question. 72* Ambient, etc. You're the only one who can fix this, your snake is relying on you to provide what he most needs. He's stuck without options, & snakes that are too cold simply do not eat.

Temperature is the most important thing, but also feeling "secure"- so for now, I'd go back to what was working- the smaller container. He needs to be eating.
    The smaller one may have been working because it was easier to adequately warm to his liking-? While he gets back to eating in that one, you can work on & test the container he needs to grow into, but eating (digesting) is "job #1"- for his survival.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 02-09-2021 at 12:11 PM.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (02-09-2021),nikkubus (02-09-2021)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast