Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,029

1 members and 3,028 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts

Re: Baby short tailed python not eating

Quote Originally Posted by Dinoanc View Post

I can place him back in the 15qt I have if it won't stress him too much. I can go out and purchase other hides as well. As for temps, I'm using a bigger heat mat as was suggested. My ambient only improved slightly to 72ish, according to the temp gun. I wrapped a towel around the enclosure and I am reading 75f on the warmer side closest to hot spot.
    This is winter (I'm assuming your general location- U.S.) so is the room where he is now colder??? You need to find ways to keep adequate warmth in whatever tub or enclosure he's in- even when the room is colder, or keeping a snake just won't work for you. Seriously.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

nikkubus (02-09-2021)

Thanks
    ... I'm aware of that. And I've asked how to do it. I was told to get a bigger heat mat and I did, and it improved things only slightly. I'm going to test out a lamp, but I'm afraid of the melting plastic and the smells that come with it. What if I just went and picked up a 5 or 10 gal to put him in? Would it be too small? I'd rather fight with humidity.
    1.0 Ball python (bananna pastel enchi) "PASTA"
    ?.? California kingsnake "DUTCH"
    1.0 Cornsnake (albino snow) "BUBBLEGUM"
    0.1 Ball python (piebald) "UMBRA"
    1.0 Borneo short tail python "SHAYMUS"
    1.0 Ball python (blade clown) "PICKLE"
    0.1 Ball python (Russo BEL) "TOOTHPASTE"
    1.0 Ball python (Albino pastave) "YOGURT"

Thanks

... I'm aware of that. And I've asked how to do it. I was told to get a bigger heat mat and I did, and it improved things only slightly. I'm going to test out a lamp, but I'm afraid of the melting plastic and the smells that come with it. What if I just went and picked up a 5 or 10 gal to put him in? Would it be too small? I'd rather fight with humidity.
    That might be an improvement...because for one thing, it's a lot easier to insulate a glass tank- the sides are straight up & down, & there are various things you can attach (even corrugated cardboard, sheet cork, foam-board or poster board with a foam core, etc) that will help the warmth* stay where it's needed- INSIDE.

*Not all heat pads are created equal- some put out more heat more than others, & all should be controlled by thermostat for safety. Still, it's possible that the wattage of what you're using is just not adequate...either that, or your room is too cold- remember that heat rises (up & out of the enclosure) & cold air sinks downward- Have you tried putting his home on a higher table or shelf? Rooms are colder nearest the floor. Tried warming the room better?

We aren't IN your home- we cannot see exactly what the problem is- we can only offer suggestions, but we cannot fix it for you. I understand you're frustrated...in part, because you're getting answers from various places all at once. As far as the size (5 or 10 gal?) being correct, match the "floor dimensions" to what he has done well in for you- & realize at some point you'll need to size up when he grows, but for now, he needs to be eating- otherwise you won't have a pet left to worry about anyway. If this is what you need to safely use some added overheat heating, then by all means, get going on it. Your profile shows this is not your only snake, so I'm not clear why this one is giving you so much difficulty, as far as setting up his housing. Your other snakes are eating, right?

Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts
    Moving to a 5-10 gal aquarium will make things worse as glass is a worse insulator than plastic and there is more volume to have to heat.

Why not just heat the room up? Shut the door, put in a small heater. With an ambient room temp of 70*F most enclosures will have issues.

Thanks
    And that ^ ^ ^ would be the easiest solution (warming the room!) & would likely be appreciated by your other snakes too.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts
    And cheaper than buying a tank + heat lamp fixture + bulb. Should have been done weeks ago.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

nikkubus (02-10-2021)

Thanks
    I do have him on the floor near to a vent, hoping the warm air coming from it would help. I can move him onto my desk. I guess my issue here is the whole plastic tote thing. He's my only animal that lives in one, everyone else is doing fantastic and eating like champs, besides my leopard gecko who's brumating right now. My room is about 70 degrees. I really really want a small portable heater, however my dad's convinced one would burn the house down. I've combatted the issue with my other snakes with my "winter" lamps that I only need during this time.
    1.0 Ball python (bananna pastel enchi) "PASTA"
    ?.? California kingsnake "DUTCH"
    1.0 Cornsnake (albino snow) "BUBBLEGUM"
    0.1 Ball python (piebald) "UMBRA"
    1.0 Borneo short tail python "SHAYMUS"
    1.0 Ball python (blade clown) "PICKLE"
    0.1 Ball python (Russo BEL) "TOOTHPASTE"
    1.0 Ball python (Albino pastave) "YOGURT"

Thanks

I do have him on the floor near to a vent, hoping the warm air coming from it would help. I can move him onto my desk. I guess my issue here is the whole plastic tote thing. He's my only animal that lives in one, everyone else is doing fantastic and eating like champs, besides my leopard gecko who's brumating right now. My room is about 70 degrees. I really really want a small portable heater, however my dad's convinced one would burn the house down. I've combatted the issue with my other snakes with my "winter" lamps that I only need during this time.
    Get him off the floor. Sure, it's warm next to the vent when the F/A heat is on, but in-between times it's chillier- up, down, up, down...no wonder he's not eating. When snakes feel a chill, that's their signal to quit eating *instinctively* so they don't get caught with undigestible food rotting in their stomach...that can actually kill them. Get him set up higher up with more even-keel temperatures.

I do understand where your dad is coming from...statistically, space heaters can be dangerous. (For that matter, so can lamps- they can start fires when knocked over by pets etc.) But you own this python that's going to die from starvation if you don't fix his conditions...how you do it is up to you now, you know what he needs. I can't promise that just moving his home higher up in the room will get him eating now, and you are running out of time to keep him healthy. You don't have "forever" to test this out.

I make no secret that I'm a glass, not a plastic "fan" for caging herps, but either one can be made to work- each has pro's & con's. In your case, if you can't run a space heater to make your room warmer, an insulated glass tank might be better, but the downside is that it's also one more scary change for your snake. He already "knows" (ie. felt safe enough to eat while living in) his previous smaller tub, so that is something to keep in mind right now too. < I think that's what I'd do first, if I were you- go back to what was working, get him off the floor- & get him eating.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 02-09-2021 at 07:23 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

nikkubus (02-10-2021)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234