Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,117

1 members and 3,116 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

Thread: Feeding

Thanks

Feeding

Hi there

I’ve just had my ball python just under a year now. While at home (taking the semester off) my ball python took quite nicely to frozen rats after the breeder had suggested I feed live. Since I got him last April (2020) he has been feeding on f/t without any problems. He has struck at his rat within first couple seconds of the first attempt. Now, after moving from Illinois to Florida (where I go to school) which was a two day drive with two stops he has decided not to take the frozen rats I have offered. I left on the 6th of January and offered food on the 17th after acclimation. He did not take this rat. Then I offered him another on the 22nd which he did not take. I will add that at home he was on weaned f/t rats and now I have switched to small f/t as he is weighing in at ~650 g. If anybody has any answers or suggestions that would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts
    The changes have him stressed, & under the circumstances, it's pretty normal. Best not to offer food more than once every 2 weeks, as that will only stress him further- just be patient, & make sure his cage temps. & privacy (etc) are dialed in. In fact, if he doesn't take a meal after waiting 2 weeks a time or so, you might wait even longer, until he looks like he's waiting in ambush for a meal. It sounds like he was pretty well-fed to start with, so while it's reassuring when snakes eat regularly, try not to worry yet. Moving & traveling is a big deal for a snake- they can tell something's changed & it must seem pretty strange to them.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 01-23-2021 at 11:46 AM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

BeansTheDerp (01-23-2021),edessimoz (01-23-2021)

Thanks

Re: Feeding

I agree Bogertophis, change can affect even people! once he get's used to the changes more, he should get better!
    Be kind, and inspire others to be kind.

Thanks

Thanks Bogertophis!

I figured it was all the commotion with respect to moving and what not. So you recommend I wait two weeks until next feed attempt?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by edessimoz View Post
    Thanks Bogertophis!

I figured it was all the commotion with respect to moving and what not. So you recommend I wait two weeks until next feed attempt?
    Yes, and preferably also wait until evening, when he looks receptive to feeding: Remember BPs are ambush-hunters, so many BPs will be peeking out of their hide in the evening hours, looking for a clueless rodent to "walk" within reach, when they're actually ready for a meal. Very few will accept food when they're "out in the open" (cruising their enclosure) so keep that in mind too.

Meanwhile, don't worry, snakes don't get such regular meals in the wild...he won't starve. Just wait for his confidence to return. Remember how good a snake's sense of smell is...he KNOWS he's now somewhere else, & doesn't understand what the heck just happened...I think that's why he's hesitating- he's just unsettled. This should pass, be patient.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

edessimoz (01-24-2021)

Thanks
    By the way, when you traveled for a couple days with him, how warm was he kept? If he was too chilly, that could also be an influence. Any time I've traveled with snakes, they've been bagged individually, then those bags are in "ice chests" (or styro-foam boxes, no ice -obviously) to prevent temperature fluctuations & provide privacy & a sense of security. Warmth can be added in one of several ways if needed. as it's unlikely you'd enjoy the trip if forced to keep your vehicle as warm as your snake might like it. Anyway, a temporary chill of a couple days, plus the new smells & vibrations- all are likely contributors to his travel-stress.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 01-23-2021 at 02:53 PM.

Thanks

Yeah I’ve noticed that he’s more prone to taking a meal when just peeking out of his hide versus completely out in the open (which he has been the last two feeds).

Thanks

I put him in the bag he had come in and then into a styrofoam box that gave room for little movement (the bag itself sliding around). Was able to keep the temperature roughly 75-77. I had a probe thermometer in the box he was in. Now I don’t know how accurate the reading was inside the box, but I also had a accurite thermometer in the car which had similar readings.

thanks so much for your help!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by edessimoz View Post
    Yeah I’ve noticed that he’s more prone to taking a meal when just peeking out of his hide versus completely out in the open ...
    That's instinctive...they're at risk from a predator making a meal of THEM when they're in the middle of swallowing a meal- being out in the open puts them at much greater risk- that's why. Some snakes (like bull snakes) are more active hunters, but BPs prefer to ambush- they stay safer that way. So "play along".
    Snakes are nowhere near as brave as horror movies would have you believe, lol.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 01-24-2021 at 10:57 PM.