Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,352

2 members and 3,350 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered User Ball_Pythons4life's Avatar
    Thanks

Ball Python Not Growing??? Always Hungry?

So I got a normal ball python from petco almost 4 months ago ( I was going to buy from morph market but saw her when I was buying mice and I had to have her.) Shes been eating like a champ, but doesnt seem to grow very much. Shes only shed twice, but I had to do the wet paper towel thing because I had problems with by humidity. Her hot side temp is 89-91 degrees and her cool side temps are 78-80. Shes alway very calm and likes to explore. I feed F/t mice every sunday. (the store markets them as small mice, and they're a little bit smaller than the middle part of her body. The next size up that they have is way to big almost 2x her mid section.) She seems a little bit bigger than when I got her, but not by a lot. I also noticed the other day that she follows anything warm out side her tank in strike position. I was intrigued by this so I fed her again and she ate right a way. ( on wednesday) the next day i move my finger around in front of hide and she comes out and watches it again. I'm going to switch her to rats but I just figured I should ask unless there was some underlying cause. ( internal parasites or something.)

( I will take a picture as soon as I figure out how to upload it.)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

Re: Ball Python Not Growing??? Always Hungry?

Welcome to the forum!

These guys grow slow, so you not seeing any growth when you look at her every day is pretty normal. If it's really concerning you, you can pick up an inexpensive scale and start weighing her monthly, which is what I do with all my animals. It gives me peace of mind with the smaller guys, like crested geckos, and helps me make sure that my BP's weight gain is healthy.

I would also go ahead and start switching to rats if you can. A lot of folks have life-long mouse eaters, and while I don't particularly have an issue with it, I would prefer to feed one appropriately sized rat vs feeding multiple mice every week/two weeks. As far as her popping back out after your finger, remember that these guys are ambush predators in the wild and they have no idea when they're next meal is coming. So if I'm a BP and in my mind it could be weeks before I get to eat again, and something warm walks past the hide I'm sitting in, I'm gonna pop out and have a look.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-29-2021),GoingPostal (01-29-2021),nikkubus (01-29-2021),Sonny1318 (01-29-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,826 Times in 11,845 Posts
    First off,

It doesn't sound like this is your first snake? Either that, or you actually did "your homework" before acquiring her? Good questions.

While it's possibly an issue with parasites (when a snake is "always hungry" & fails to grow), it's also likely that you're expectations are too high: I'm assuming this is a young snake, & honestly, it can seem like "forever" before their growth is obvious. In part, this is due to the difficulty in measuring a snake- the tiny increments in length make it appear that their body hasn't gained any weight, when it actually has, albeit slowly. That's why many keepers buy an accurate digital scale to weigh their snakes to check their progress. 4 months isn't much time to see any growth in a young snake though- it's a bit like watching & waiting for water to boil.

Also keep in mind that young snakes are also eating young prey, which doesn't put weight on them as fast as when both the snake & the prey are more "mature". Younger rodents are more "digestible", but it sounds as if you're feeding the right size. Her appetite is so good that it probably is a good chance to switch her to rats (of the appropriate size)- some snakes switch easily, but others not so much- you won't know until you try it.

If you still suspect there is an issue with parasites (can't rule it out at this point), you can always take a fresh stool sample to your vet. If you don't already, you'll want to find a vet that has experience with "herps", since their medical care is quite different from warm blooded pets (cats & dogs, etc). To that end, this site may be of help:

https://arav.site-ym.com/search/custom.asp?id=3661
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Hugsplox (01-29-2021),nikkubus (01-29-2021)

Thanks
    And since many new members seem to have trouble finding this:

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Hugsplox (01-29-2021),nikkubus (01-29-2021)

Thanks
    This is actually my first snake lol. Thanks for all of the advice, really helpful stuff! Im planning on buying a few more ball pythons Because i'm absolutely addicted to them . I have a kitchen scale because I needed it for a school project but no matter where I look I can Find it. I'm definitely going to buy another one this weekend whe I buy the rats. I don't know if the pet store got her out of the wild or not, and she was also housed with another snake. What can I say, I'm a snake mom and I think she has every disease in the book lol.

Here's a picture anyways because shes too pretty not to share. (sorry for the low quality)

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ball_Pythons4life For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-29-2021),Gocntry (01-29-2021),stealthk7gsxr (01-29-2021)

Thanks

It's always hard to tell from pictures, but I think she looks great! You've just got that new snake owner attitude right now and I 100% understand. I kept BPs before but didn't have one for years, and when I picked one back up I was on here non-stop worried about sheds and humidity, weight gain, everything you can think of. It seems like you've done a lot of research and are keeping an eye on things.

I don't like talking bad about the big box stores like Petco because they serve a purpose, but I'm not a fan of how they keep their animals. I would just get yourself another scale, keep an eye on her weight gain, and keep your fingers crossed that she continues eating so well for you!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-29-2021),Sonny1318 (01-29-2021)

Thanks
    She's a beautiful BP! I don't like to support the chain pet stores either, because of how they get & care for their snakes (they are generally exposed to other sick ones along the way, & the entire process is very stressful- stress weakens the immune system for reptiles & other animals, just as it does for humans.) But I've bought some snakes from pet stores too, over the years- I sure do understand not being able to walk away empty-handed. She's likely to be captive-bred, by the way. But if they were feeding her live mice, that increases the chance she has parasites brewing...and I trust you've checked for mites? Unfortunately they're fairly common in pet store snakes, & they get easily "shared" due to the proximity. Those little buggers are a serious risk, both directly (can kill snakes just from blood loss- causing shock & organ failure) & indirectly (sharing diseases). But I don't mean to ruin your sleep! Sorry! And I can tell this snake is in good hands already.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Hugsplox (01-29-2021)

Thanks
    Yes i've checked for mites, all clean!

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ball_Pythons4life For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-29-2021),Hugsplox (01-29-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ball_Pythons4life View Post
    Yes i've checked for mites, all clean!

It really seems like you did your research before bringing her home. I think she's in good hands. Don't worry, the "new snake parent" syndrome will pass with time!

Thanks
    She seemed to be a hatchling yet and hadn't been there for long. She was SUPER stressed and was in a ball when the clerk took her out and was in a ball all the way home. I let her sit for a week and a half the held her for the first time. It took some time for her to get used to everything but she hasn't balled up since

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Ball_Pythons4life For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-29-2021)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast