Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 529

1 members and 528 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BPnet Senior Member GoingPostal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 723 Posts

Looking for corn info

Got a message yesterday from a lady I used to buy feeder birds from. Can I take an aggressive corn snake off her son's hands? Apparently he took in two in need of a home, but one is bitey and they are afraid of it. In a clear sign I've lost my mind I just said ok. What's one more little snake right?

They are cohabbed so this guy isn't coming with anything either. I've got a spare 10 gallon with a lid and heat mat but I'll have to go buy a dimmer until a herpstat can get here. Maybe a tub if he's big. She said he's 3-4 years old. I'm going to go get him after work today. Never had a corn before, anything special I need to know?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2.0 Python brongersmai
    1.1 Python breitensteini
    1.0 Python curtus
    1.0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Acrantophis dumerili
    1.0 Boa constrictor
    0.1 Heterodon nasiscus nasiscus
    0.0.1 Pantherophis guttatus

Thanks

Re: Looking for corn info

I'm not a Corn Master, but I have one......

He always eats when its time, He prefers being out in the living room at people temperatures (my house is 73 in the winter)

He does have a heat mat I keep set at 80-82.

Mine was a rescue, so as far as I know he's (not confirmed), appx 4-5 years old and appx 4.5 feet long or so. He lays doubled up in his enclosure and can almost touch end to end and the enclosure is 3' wide.

Quite the difference compared to my BP's, A lot easier to care for

He may be "bitey" because he's hungry?? I know when I first got mine he did a LOT of tail rattling and such, but he got over it quickly with a little handling.
    Last edited by Gocntry; 01-21-2021 at 11:49 AM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gocntry For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-21-2021),GoingPostal (01-21-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,587 Times in 531 Posts
    I have a little experience with corns. I'd say more than likely their version of "aggressive" is just the snake wants to eat and is trained that anytime a person is coming to the tank then food is coming.
    Silent Hill Reptiles and Rodents
    https://www.silenthillreptiles.com/

1.4 Carpet pythons
    15.21 Corn snakes
    1.1 of SD reticulated pythons, cali kings,black house snakes,trans-pecos,northern pines
    1.2 Japanese rat, 1.3 natrix n. natrix
    6.1 Balls, 1.0 orange Halloween ATB, 1.0 bci

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 67temp For This Useful Post:

dakski (01-21-2021),GoingPostal (01-21-2021),jmcrook (01-21-2021)

Thanks

Apparently the other snake is very mellow and fine to handle. I'll see how much attitude he really has in a couple hours but I can't imagine it's too awful. They like it fairly cool is what I'm gathering. Feed weekly? A couple times per month?

2.0 Python brongersmai
    1.1 Python breitensteini
    1.0 Python curtus
    1.0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Acrantophis dumerili
    1.0 Boa constrictor

Thanks
    Thanked 19,730 Times in 11,794 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GoingPostal View Post
    Apparently the other snake is very mellow and fine to handle. I'll see how much attitude he really has in a couple hours but I can't imagine it's too awful. They like it fairly cool is what I'm gathering. Feed weekly? A couple times per month?

Snakes co-habbed can get very stressed, so maybe that's part of his attitude. Most corn snakes make really good pets, this one might need some patience for a while, but nothing too bad, I bet.
    People get scared off easily by snakes that are less docile, then the feisty one never gets handled to learn any different. Good on you for taking this one in.

I've kept (also bred & raised) many corns for years, & currently have 5. As already noted, much cooler temps.- mine don't use their UTH (low to mid 80's) much even in the winter- ambient room temperatures are 70* (winter), & up to 80* in summer (during which I turn off their UTH for a bit). If you like your home cooler at night, even 68* shouldn't be a problem, as long as the ambient is warmer (70* or above) by day. My oldest corn currently is 21 years old.

Adults are 4.5-5.5' mostly- the bigger ones do well in 40 gal. breeder tanks with screen tops- good ventilation. They'll enjoy & use a humid hide- substrate doesn't need to hold humidity- I use a mix of Carefresh (hygroscopic!) & my own clean shredded paper, over a single layer of paper towel (makes it easier to remove & change). They like hides & may also enjoy basking on branches wedged into their cage (diagonally is what I do, crossing over in the middle of cage), either with or without a very dim warming light.

Hatchlings are fed at least once a week, but adults do well when fed about every 10 days- a little less or a little more is just fine. Adult mice of appropriate size. Perfect schedule isn't needed either. They're "forgiving" snakes, pretty & usually docile. This one sounds mostly stressed & probably scared from too little or awkward handling.

Your 10 gal. tank is too small for anything other than very temporary. A 30 gal+ would be a better fit, depending on size. The heat (UTH) should be at one end/corner- don't try to warm the whole tank.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 01-21-2021 at 01:01 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dakski (01-21-2021),GoingPostal (01-21-2021)

Thanks
    I hope this corn snake appreciates his good luck in finding you, & is fairly cooperative. Another thing that can make a snake feisty is their own un-diagnosed discomfort, such as parasites that both steal needed nutrients, & may also cause pain & other internal issues. So a stool check might be good idea too.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (01-21-2021)

Thanks

He seems perfectly well tempered so far! I've never really been around corns before, he's neat. Wrapped his tail around my wrist, none of mine do that. The owner said he was especially nippy after feeding days, they breed mice in the same room so that probably wasn't helping. We found a tote in the basement that will work as his cage until something more final can be ordered. What color is he considered? Normal?

2.0 Python brongersmai
    1.1 Python breitensteini
    1.0 Python curtus
    1.0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Acrantophis dumerili
    1.0 Boa constrictor

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GoingPostal For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-21-2021),dakski (01-21-2021),Gocntry (01-22-2021),jmcrook (01-21-2021)

Thanks
    I'd say he's a nice normal. As I suspected, they're just not that comfortable with snakes. Corn snakes do "hold on" much more than BPs- very normal, as they're good climbers too.

And raising mice in the same room was a big part of their problem, IMO. It occurs to me that he probably also chased their motion (thru the glass) & like most people, they don't realize it's not "personal"- it doesn't mean they literally want "them" for dinner, it's just the motion. I know I sound like a "broken record" on this at times, but it's because so many just don't quite "get" that snakes don't identify by sight the way we do. Under those circumstances (prey nearby), it's very likely that he was always ready to pounce when they tried to reach in. NOT mean, just normal snake, lol.

Very nice "pick-up"! I think you'll enjoy him.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 01-21-2021 at 05:51 PM.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dakski (01-21-2021),GoingPostal (01-21-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts
    Looks like he might have some Okeetee blood, but not strong enough that I would call him that. Very nice normal though. I can't fathom someone being afraid of a corn snake. He was probably really stressed to be nippy as an adult, even with mice in the room. He should be a great little snake now that you have them separated into different enclosures. I feed my adults every 2 weeks (an adult mouse) if I'm not breeding.
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

16. The Following User Says Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (01-22-2021)

Thanks
    How's your 'newcomer' doing? You know, corn snakes come in all sorts of variations, but my favorites are still the "nice normals" like yours, or Okeetee & Abbotts variation (similar but redder, with bolder black outlines).

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (01-28-2021)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast