Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,920

1 members and 2,919 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

Aspen substrate question

Is there a difference in these products that makes the one that has "snake" in the product name actually better for snakes? Or are they the same thing?

Aspen Bed 24 quart bag (beanfarm.com)

Pet's Pick 24L Aspen Bedding - Walmart.com - Walmart.com

I don't see any difference, other than "snake" in the Zoo Med brand's product title and that it's herp preferred, and that the pet's pick doesn't mention reptiles.

============================

While looking at another website's listing of the Zoo Med product, I found this Q&A:
    Is this a good material for my juvenile Ball Python? My adult loves it, so I thought it would be good if I tried it with her. (With her own tank, Don't keep Ball Pythons together.)

No. Don't use this with ball pythons of any age. They require high humidity, and a shed box will not do it for them. Their entire tank should be humid as that is what they live in. Aspen does not hold humidity, and you should use forest floor, repti bark, eco earth, or a mixture of them to hold humidity. Aspen shavings are incredibly bad for ball pythons

============================

Should I skip the Aspen bedding altogether and just use reptibark for Shauri's substrate? Or is the answer above incorrect, and Aspen bedding is safe for BPs?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

Re: Aspen substrate question

Personally, I would try a different option other than aspen. Aspen as far as I know is fine for a BP, but the reviews you read are correct as far as it not holding humidity well. Forest floor, ecoearth, and reptibark are all great products. I personally like forest floor a lot and have had a really easy time keeping my humidity where I want it in several different species' enclosures with it. I've also had no issues with any of my animals ingesting any of it, as the pieces are typically pretty large (in terms of substrate that is).

At the end of the day though, you have to find something that works for you and your animals. I prefer not to use Aspen, but if you live somewhere where the humidity is crazy high on it's own, that may be a better choice for you.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-20-2021),Shauri413 (01-20-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,822 Times in 11,841 Posts

Re: Aspen substrate question

Both aspen products should be fine (equivalent), but honestly NOT recommended for BPs, because aspen doesn't hold humidity.

Don't use Carefresh for them either- it's hygroscopic, and by the way, Carefresh isn't labeled for snakes either, but I've used it for many (!) years.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 01-20-2021 at 07:40 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Shauri413 (01-20-2021)