Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,004

2 members and 3,002 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Opinion on a Rescue (don't have him yet, still deciding)

Local animal shelter has an aging BP, Need opinions on some Issues I see happening:

1st issue is enclosure, I have a couple 10 gallons and a 20 sitting around, I know their not big enough
    I did email the shelter to see if he comes with an enclosure.

how about the "I need to eat 5 small mice once a month. I do not eat frozen food!"
    Is 13 to old to change habits and get him/her on a F/T diet of appropriately sized rat?

And "I like to take baths when I'm shedding" I'm assuming he probably dose not "like" baths and regulated humidity is what he needs

As to housing, I know I can't put him in the snake room until 3-6 months down the road, 5 snakes are in the snake room, Scicle (corn snake) is in the living room, so if he would stay in my bedroom, so the issue of me transferring mites/issues are there, I usually have a cup of coffee in the morning before I jump in the shower, So I am in the living room for an hour or so.

So is that workable? I defiantly don't want to give anything to my established crew, and If I can't make it work to give this guy a home I'm sure he'll find one. But if I can give him a place to live all the better..

https://www.petfinder.com/scales-fin...shelter-va331/

"
    Meet Monty (28586/0115)

Sex Unknown
    13 years old
    About 4 feet Long

Here is what the previous owners had to say.

Hi my name is Monty! I do not know if I am a male or a female. I am a good pet to have if you like snakes. I am presently 13 years old. My owners have to give me up because they are aging and may not be able to care for me much longer. I will live at least another 20 years! My parents will miss me and my Human Mom is crying as you are reading this.

I like to be held and I like to be gently massaged. I need someone who will not tease or flick at me with their fingers as I will recoil and may bite. When you want to hold me or take me out of my cage, please make a fist and call my name. If you reach with fingers extended, remember that they are smaller than my mouth and I might snap .

I need to eat 5 small mice once a month. I do not eat frozen food! Please Clean my cage once a month also. I like to drink water only after I have eaten and I like to take baths when I'm shedding.
    Please do not put live plants in my cage. "

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    I suspect mites won't be an issue as this snake has been effectively quarantined for years.

If you don't have an enclosure, head to Lowes and pick up a Hefty 100-qt tub, it'll be plenty big and has four latches to hold the lid on so he can't take an unauthorized slither-about. Add a heat pad + thermostat and he shouldn't have any more shedding issues.

I would convert to live rats before converting to f/t just because one small/med rat per month is a lot cheaper than 5 jumbo mice.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Gocntry (01-19-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,795 Times in 11,828 Posts
    Hard to judge your home space question, as far as mites & quarantine, but unwanted transfer of parasites & pathogens isn't too likely if you only handle him (or tend his cage) last. Sounds like he was their ONLY snake also, which makes him far less risky than a snake coming from a pet store or from someone just down-sizing, IMO.

You'll want to know what he was housed in (size of enclosure) IF he doesn't come with it. He probably does though, which would help for a smoother transition.

You might never be able to change his preference of eating mice...too bad we're not neighbors, I always have too many! As far as refusing f/t, the former owners many not have known or tried all the tricks we have up our sleeves, like blow drying, but no guarantee. Could be easy or a "royal pain". Sometimes you can give a small live mouse appetizer, then chain-feed a f/t.

Not sure you'll ever need to "call his name" before handling? But getting a snake's attention so they aren't startled, sure, that's a given. And massages? sure, why not?

From their description about possible finger-nipping, I have to wonder if he's been fed enough- that sounds like hunger to me, & it might not be so hard to transition to f/t (or even a rat) IF you scent the prey with some dirty (used) mouse bedding & warm the prey- ask your local pet store if they'd save you some.

Agree with you totally on the "bathing" question- & he might love a nice big humid hide instead- way more "secure". He probably "loved a bath" because his humidity was chronically too low.

I'd expect the sudden life changes (especially for an older snake) to unnerve him for a while, but he's probably 'do-able' if that's what you want- sounds like your heart's in it, but make sure the extra efforts will work for you- only you know the answer to that, & there's no guarantees.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Gocntry (01-19-2021),Sonny1318 (01-19-2021)

Thanks

Re: Opinion on a Rescue (don't have him yet, still deciding)

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    I suspect mites won't be an issue as this snake has been effectively quarantined for years.

If you don't have an enclosure, head to Lowes and pick up a Hefty 100-qt tub, it'll be plenty big and has four latches to hold the lid on so he can't take an unauthorized slither-about. Add a heat pad + thermostat and he shouldn't have any more shedding issues.

I would convert to live rats before converting to f/t just because one small/med rat per month is a lot cheaper than 5 jumbo mice.

Good suggestions, have a Lowes right across the street from my job, 20 Bucks for a Tub no problem there, I have several heat mats and a couple thermostats also.

I've never fed live yet, also not much of an issue, just would prefer to feed F/T.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Hard to judge your home space question, as far as mites & quarantine, but unwanted transfer of parasites & pathogens isn't too likely if you only handle him (or tend his cage) last. Sounds like he was their ONLY snake also, which makes him far less risky than a snake coming from a pet store or from someone just down-sizing, IMO.

You'll want to know what he was housed in (size of enclosure) IF he doesn't come with it. He probably does though, which would help for a smoother transition.

You might never be able to change his preference of eating mice...too bad we're not neighbors, I always have too many! As far as refusing f/t, the former owners many not have known or tried all the tricks we have up our sleeves, like blow drying, but no guarantee. Could be easy or a "royal pain". Sometimes you can give a small live mouse appetizer, then chain-feed a f/t.

Not sure you'll ever need to "call his name" before handling? But getting a snake's attention so they aren't startled, sure, that's a given. And massages? sure, why not?

From their description about possible finger-nipping, I have to wonder if he's been fed enough- that sounds like hunger to me, & it might not be so hard to transition to f/t (or even a rat) IF you scent the prey with some dirty (used) mouse bedding & warm the prey- ask your local pet store if they'd save you some.

Agree with you totally on the "bathing" question- & he might love a nice big humid hide instead- way more "secure". He probably "loved a bath" because his humidity was chronically too low.

I'd expect the sudden life changes (especially for an older snake) to unnerve him for a while, but he's probably 'do-able' if that's what you want- sounds like your heart's in it, but make sure the extra efforts will work for you- only you know the answer to that, & there's no guarantees.
    I'm in a 1000 sq ft house, but it's just me and daughter and snakes, so I'm good with a snake in my bedroom to quarantine.

The Boa is being tap trained, because everything is FOOD, so no issues with getting a snakes attention as to whats going on

The snake looks pretty big in the picture, I was wondering if 5 mice once a month was enough or not, Was wondering if a bi-weekly rat schedule would be better than a once a month but at 13 I guess a good meal once a month is good.

The extra effort is not an issue with me, just want to give the old guy/gal a good home if I can without being a hazard to the rest of the crew I already have. I find the more snakes I have the less people come to my house for some reason .

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Gocntry For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-19-2021)

Thanks
    Yeah, that's one of the best benefits for me too! (fewer people)

13 years is really not old for a snake, especially not for a BP. You have a good heart...I know first-hand just how easy it is to talk yourself into "just one more", lol.

You have enough experience with snakes to know how to get his attention (safely). But it was good that they at least tried to provide clues for someone to adopt him (or her).
    They don't sound overly experienced with snakes though...(something about calling his name gave that away). They specified "5 SMALL mice" once a month too- really does sound under-fed.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts
    I believe if you are stubborn enough, you will be able to get him to change over to ft rats eventually. If it were me I would get him live mice for a bit to make sure he is stable and eating right for you before switching things up since BPs are quick to go off feed with the stress of moving. Then once you feel like he is comfy and feeling at home, start trying other options. Usually thawing a mouse + rat together makes that change super easy because it gets that mouse smell all over the rat and vice versa. I've also had success with chain feeding (two smaller items that add up to appropriate size, not 2 full size ones).
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-19-2021),Gocntry (01-19-2021)

Thanks
    Agree ^ ^ ^

Thanks

Well Monty Was adopted (the link is now updated), It was not by me though,

I couldn't get to the shelter until Friday afternoon I'm stuck at work until then.

Good for Monty Though!! hope you went to a Great Home!!

If you happen to be the new owner and see this post please let us know

And post a few pics if you would.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gocntry For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (01-20-2021),Bogertophis (01-20-2021)

Registered User Reptile$ 4 Life's Avatar
    Thanks

Personally, I had no trouble switching my bp over to rats when he was little, although this may be different because Monty is big, but I did just switch my guy over to f/t no problem. He doesn't even care if it is warm or not. I just have to show him that the rat is in there and then leave it and he crawls out and eats it.
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (Flicker)
    1.2 Southern Alligator Liazrds (Wraith, Magma & Annie)
    0.1 Western Skink (Stella)
    1.1 Leopard Geckos (Leo & Jade)

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Reptile$ 4 Life For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-22-2021),EL-Ziggy (01-22-2021),Gocntry (01-22-2021)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast