Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,770

2 members and 2,768 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
    Thanks

Question Trans-pecos rat snake morph/genetics

Hello all!

I have recently purchased my first rat snake (trans pecos, bogertophis subocularis)
    He will be my second snake and I am soo excited! I wont have him in person until weather allows for shipping, but fell in love at first sight.

He is a triple het blonde snow euro line. My question is, when I asked the breeder what he is het for he said axanthic, blonde, and euro albino.
    Is it possible to be het for blonde when he is described as a blonde snow?

I trust the breeder and will still be delighted with my boy. But this confused me and it didn't occur to me to ask the breeder at the time, so I don't want to bother him now. ��
    My other snake is a locality based rosy boa, and is therefore straightforward. This is my first time getting a more complicated snake genetically.

Thank you! Can't wait to get my little Kylo home.
    Last edited by HouseofBoop; 01-19-2021 at 01:07 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to HouseofBoop For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-19-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,730 Times in 11,794 Posts
    Hey, congratulations on getting one of my all-time favorite snakes! I have 3 of these, 2 are hets (1-silver, 1- blonde) but all 3 are visually normal. I much prefer their natural patterns, & your little one is lovely! Unfortunately I can't answer your question about genetics- that's confusing to me too. Maybe the breeder can explain it better? And unless you're planning to breed them, it doesn't matter much anyway. I can see a little difference in my 2 hets, compared to the "normal" one- their colors are a little clearer, & lean toward silver or blonde respectively. I hope & fully expect that you'll love your Trans Pecos as much as I love mine. They just have such a gentle & ethereal personality. Glad you're waiting for the weather to improve though, for safer shipping. I look forward to your updates.

BTW, I've never heard of "euro albino" either. But it's been years since I bred these, & then, only normals. I've not kept up on the variations at all.

Oh, &
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 01-19-2021 at 01:43 AM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts

Re: Trans-pecos rat snake morph/genetics

Quote Originally Posted by HouseofBoop View Post
    He is a triple het blonde snow euro line. My question is, when I asked the breeder what he is het for he said axanthic, blonde, and euro albino.
    Is it possible to be het for blonde when he is described as a blonde snow?
    I am no rat snake expert but if somebody told me "triple het blonde snow" I would assume they meant he is wild type het blonde het axanthic, het albino. He does not look like a visual blonde, albino, or axanthic to me.
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

Thanks

Thank you nikkubus, that was my confusion as well, because he did describe him as a blonde snow specifically on the sale page. He doesn't look like a straight blonde or normal to me either, I feel like the blonde snow was his way of describing the snow as not fully white?
    I just thought in genetics if something was het and also showing for the type, that negates the het. But this can all get rather complicated to me pretty quick lol :
    He was also quite a lot more pale in the first picture I saw of him.
    Last edited by HouseofBoop; 01-19-2021 at 06:31 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to HouseofBoop For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-19-2021)

Thanks

Thank you bogertophis! (definitely see they must be a favorite from your name ) I'm so excited to have chosen this species as my next snake.
    I follow quite a few people on instagram who own these and say they just adore them, and that piqued my interest. They all go on about their great personalities.

I am going to be building a couple custom enclosures for him and my current snake Atticus while I wait on the weather. Hopefully that will help with my impatience hahaha. Getting his temporary quarantine tank all ready to go as well.
    I will definitely be posting updates ^-^
    Thank you for the welcome! And sharing your feelings the trans-pecos as well, I just keep getting confirmation that I made a good choice.
    Does he look fairly different from your normal types? He looks more pale and grey to me.
    Last edited by HouseofBoop; 01-19-2021 at 06:32 AM.

Thanks
    I would get Dusty Rhodes' book, The Complete Suboc. I have it, and iirc, most of your questions would be answered by it. There seems to be quite a bit of natural variation in the "ground" color of TPRSes (so, yours being a more gray/buckskin transition), and he outlines this in the book. The "euro" line of albino, I think is because there are two lines of albino TPRSes (I think, when expressed, the euro ones are missing that one scale in the middle of their heads?).

I'm not great on snake genetics, but reading the book may help you understand it more. There are blonde snow subocs, so the genetics your breeder described don't sound impossible/incorrect to me. Yet again, like I said, I honestly don't know a lot about suboc genetics other than just reading the book (and I don't plan to breed snakes, so I just sort of read that chapter out of interest). It may be interesting to you to read it, if you want to learn about it!

And congrats on the Trans-Pecos! I plan to get one later this year.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to TofuTofuTofu For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-19-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,730 Times in 11,794 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HouseofBoop View Post
    Thank you for the welcome! And sharing your feelings the trans-pecos as well, I just keep getting confirmation that I made a good choice.
    Does he look fairly different from your normal types? He looks more pale and grey to me.
    From your pics he looks more like my het-silver male. There is a slight coloration difference in all 3 of mine that makes sense when you know what they're het for, & the one that's a completely natural wild-type has a more saturated look. I've always liked their bold pattern- like something you see in Native American weavings. I love the size they max out at also- not too small, but very easily-handled. But it's mostly their amazing personality*, I trust you'll see for yourself in time. (*hopefully unchanged with selective breeding) My female (especially) has been known to even fall asleep on my lap- so trusting & calm. I find them to be very unique snakes, & oh, those eyes!
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks
    Any update on your Trans Pecos???

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mistery510 View Post
    Any update on your Trans Pecos???
    Yasss! I ended up naming him Casper. He's been fantastic the whole time I've had him, super chill dude. He will be turning 3 next month and is about 4 ft long now. ☺️
    I put a couple pictures of him in my profile, I forgot how to add them to my comment lol. 😆

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HouseofBoop For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-20-2023),Mistery510 (10-20-2023)

Thanks
    Aww yeay!! Thats awesome!!!!!