Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,753

1 members and 2,752 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts

Red face First Season Back to Breeding

I am pretty new to this forum, used another when I was breeding years ago but it's totally dead so I'm trying to introduce myself around here and get to know new people. I bred BP's corns, and rat snakes before but I took a long hiatus because of moving and so much going on in my life. Really glad to be back at it, and with some fresh new projects that I'm really excited about. Morph Market wasn't a thing last time I was breeding, so hopefully the selling part will be a load easier than before!

I have absolutely no idea how the best way to build a good network is really done these days. Seems a lot of breeders are on social media these days, but most of those places explicitly don't allow animal sales and I'd honestly really rather not go that route anyways. Shows are great, but the barrier to entry in my state is really bad. Table is a few hundred, and they require you have a business license here, which bare minimum is going to run $800. That's a huge investment when I don't have a ton to sell and am dealing with hobby-level. So any suggestions on what I can do besides get my butt active on this forum would be great! I have accounts on a few different forums, morph market account, and I have some wholesale contacts that are willing to buy ANYTHING, so I'm not worried about having to sit on babies with nowhere for them to go at least if I'm really having issues.

So far breeding season is going well, lots of great locks. This is what I'm focusing on this year:
    -Pied to Cinny and Mahogany Pastel
    -Banana Pastel Superstripe to some enchi combo females that each have some acts-like-super yellowbelly type

Hopefully some of my girls prove out to be Asphalt instead of just plain yellowbelly. I'd love to hit some world firsts, which is a good possibility with the banana project. I really love acts-like-super genes because they provide a little of an extra challenge, and with the yellowbelly type ones the various looks are incredible.

So much has changed with BPs since I was doing it before, so many genes it makes my head spin. I don't know how some of the big breeders know so many different ones. I've stuck to really learning about a few different ones that weren't around before and stuff I already knew for right now to get my feet wet again. Coral Glow was pretty new back then and nobody understood how the heck it worked. Now there is Banana, which is basically the same thing, but at least finally someone nailed what was going on. Of course it was always suspected to be sex linked, but what threw people off was that it hopped over now and again. I've dealt with sex-linked in birds plenty, and it even confused me because of that weird ability to cross over from Z to W and W to Z.

Anyways, nice to meet you! I'm going to work at being active here and do what I can to help others even if I'm a little rusty on the breeding part

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

Alicia (01-31-2021),Bertoxvx (01-30-2021),Bogertophis (01-30-2021),EL-Ziggy (02-05-2021)

Thanks

Re: First Season Back to Breeding

Welcome back!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    BallsRus

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bertoxvx For This Useful Post:

nikkubus (01-30-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    Welcome "back". It's been obvious to me that you have way more experience & knowledge than the average new member here- I've enjoyed your contributions & hope you continue- you're making a good forum even better. I've been around snakes a long time & no longer breed any, just enjoy my pets, & I'm very glad to know it's not just me whose "head is spinning" from all the genes involved in breeding BPs.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

nikkubus (01-30-2021)

Thanks
    I'm really enjoying this place so far. It's great to see so many people with so much knowledge and patience with people who aren't on their level. I've picked up a lot of great info already on species I haven't kept before, and even some about those I do. It feels good to be getting back into the reptile community rather than just doing my own thing. I've missed it more than I realized.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 01-30-2021 at 03:02 PM.
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

8. The Following User Says Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-30-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    (Fixed your double-post)
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

nikkubus (01-30-2021)

Thanks

Re: First Season Back to Breeding

Finally... this "virgin" male figured things out. I had hoped throwing him in with a very freshly shed female would help, and sure enough!

Last year I tried him with a single female but ended up only trying twice. Never caught him lock or anything even looking like he was thinking about trying, and I was worried about his weight because he went off feed. He was already juuuust barely big enough, so I didn't continue pairing him, let him bulk up and try again this year. The start of this season he acted completely uninterested, just like before, but 4th female I've put him to JUST shed and he locked with her. Hopefully I can put him back with the others after a rest and he will keep doing his thing now that he has figured it out once.

If only all males bred like my pied boy. The lady who sold him to me said he would mate with a stick and she wasn't joking.

I cant wait to see how my odds fair. A Banana Soulsucker SuperStripe or SuperSpecter could be wild, possibly world firsts, but my odds hitting one of those are 1/16.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

12. The Following User Says Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

EL-Ziggy (02-05-2021)