Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,083

4 members and 2,079 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Bioactive question

Hey guys quick question for yas, not my first bioactive setups I've done two for crested geckos and now that I have a mist king I want to do it for my two bps.

So my question for you is, can I go bioactive in my 75 gallon without transportation issues? I move my snakes from two areas of the house with the seasons, and am likely moving in the next couple years as well. My worry is moving the tank and the bottom breaking open on me from all the weight of the soil/plants - etc.

One more question actually, I have two other tanks that are low 20 gallons, my bps are about 4 or 5 years old now really slowing in their growth would those two 20 gallons be acceptable for the remainder of their days, bioactive of course? Any input is appreciated or tips for bioactive bp enclosures thanks!

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

Re: Bioactive question

If by low 20s you mean they're 20 gallon longs, I would think it would be a little small for a 4-5 year old BP, but it really depends on how big your snake is. The rule of thumb I've always been told was that your enclosure should be big enough that your snake can stretch out along two sides. For example, if your snake is say 3 feet long, ideally you'd want something that is three feet across the front and down on side, so on and so forth. I know people think BPs are pet rocks, but I regularly peak in on mine at night, and I'm always shocked by the amount of exploring he does when the lights are off, so a smaller enclosure just wouldn't do.

As far as your question about moving. In my experience, I've had no issues moving drained fish tanks that still have plants and substrate in them. Now obviously all the water is out, but as far as having a little weight in the bottom, if you have someone to help you I think you'll be okay. It really again depends on how much substrate we're talking and how heavy those tanks are. A empty 75 gallon is a task to move around, so I would really be careful about trying to move it with a bunch of dirt and rocks in it.
    Last edited by Hugsplox; 01-18-2021 at 11:03 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts
    If it were me I wouldn't do it. I'd just pick one spot and keep it there. Even if you can manage to move it without damaging the tank itself, it's going to be hard to keep the things inside from getting jumbled around, smashing plants, and then of course the plants regardless are going to have to go through a huge amount of stress from moving them to different conditions. I am in the middle of trying to move a 50g bioactive with cresties and it has been an incredible chore.

I would say no on the 20, even if the snake is happy with that space (which to me seems really pushing it considering the space the plants and wood take up) because you have to consider the huge bio load a BP has vs your typical bioactive inhabitant. Your cleanup crew needs enough room and you need enough plants to handle that load too. I suppose you could always do partially bioactive and exchange some clean soil and take the old and put it in house plants for compost but that isn't usually what people mean by bioactive.
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

Thanks
    I have bio set ups for 5 snakes. 2 are ball pythons. I hand mist all of them. I have a mistking set up on my dart frogs because they require higher humidity. It won't take much to get your humidty off the charts using it. Good luck!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,020 Times in 465 Posts
    I have a bio active exoterra that’s probably about the size of a 75 gallon, and it took 3 movers to pick it up. Definitely can’t even budge it on my own. Plus the dimensions make it super awkward to do so.

and no, I think the 20 gallons are definitely too small.
    Start your own dubia roach colony with Roach Rancher!

Instagram - @AliceAnaconda

0.1.0 Cat "Anna"
    -----
    1.1.0 Emerald Tree Boa "Amanda & Samantha"
    0.1.0 Merauke Scrub Python "Victoria"
    0.1.0 Titanium Reticulated Python "Alice"
    1.0.0 Eastern Indigo
    -----
    0.0.4 Alligator Snapping Turtle "Deborah"
    0.0.2 Florida Snapping Turtles
    0.0.1 Cuvier's Dwarf Caiman "Caroline"
    0.0.1 100% Het Black Dragon Asian Water Monitor
    -----
    0.0.1 Antilles Pink Toe Tarantula "Katherine"

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wnateg For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-19-2021),Hugsplox (01-19-2021)

Thanks

Re: Bioactive question

Thanks for all the good info everyone!!! Looks like I'll be getting two new 40 breeders for the project. Something of that sort.

Regarding moving the tanks, it's my best move. I do it twice a year early/late spring and late fall. I heat my house by fire stove in the winter months (basement) and so the upstairs are quite freezing cold compared to down there. In the summer the upstairs (loft) get plenty of sunlight and the humidity goes up so the conditions are nearly perfect.

I have no small rooms that I can put a heater and humidifier in, I've done that before too and it works super well but its not in the cards for me at my current home.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk