Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,005

0 members and 2,005 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Cool The Mama's and the Papa's (Feeder mice; 640x480 pics)

I've got one male and two females in each of the two larger Sterilite drawers pictured. The other 3 Sterilite drawers are currently uninhabited, but will be used for offspring and mother/father seperations post-breeding.

The water bottles I bought, while the smallest I could find, were still too tall to be hung on the sides of the drawers like normal, so I had to put them in at about a 30-degree angle. The top of the bottle being suspended by the wire that came with it (though custom-bent and cut), and the bottom of the bottle being supported by a zip-tie. It's working well, and the mice don't seem to climb on them too much. The only downside to the way they're placed is that water isn't being dispensed even with water still inside, as the angle prevents all the water from reaching the float-valve. No biggie, really.

I've also used a soldering iron to poke a series of holes along the sides, the back, and down the front of the drawers (you can't see them in one photo, because I hadn't finished at that time). I'm going to step up to rats as soon as Mr. Bojangles is ready for them, and for those I'll get a 20-long glass aquarium, and these Sterilite drawers will be for breeder Leo's and hatchlings.

1.0.0 Ball Python - "Mr. Bojangles"
    1.0.0 Crested Gecko - "Zeppelin"

Thanks

Re: The Mama's and the Papa's (Feeder mice; 640x480 pics)

Pretty mousies.

It's only a matter of time before they chew their way out of those drawers.. I've gone through several drawer systems.. and I drill little holes only along the top. Keep an eye on the drawers! I use lab style cages now.. no more escapees!

I highly recommend feeding dog food (nutro lite is good) with a cereal mix over the pet store bought mouse food. The stuff is no good and WAAY too expensive. If you can get harlan-teklad rat and mouse lab blocks.. even better.

April
    My art gallery (herp related) http://cerulean-serpent.deviantart.com/

Thanks

I'm definitely going to look into getting some ingredients to mix my own food, and these "lab blocks" sound like a great deal, not to mention practical and healthy. I've been checking on them about once an hour throughout the day, and they really don't seem to be too interested in chewing the plastic, though this doesn't mean that they won't in the future! I'll try to keep toilet-paper rolls in there to keep their teeth occupied, but of course if they want out, they're going to try... The little brown girl with the white diamond-shaped "crown" is supposedly already pregnant, or so said the lady at the pet store. I hope she is... After a couple litters, I should be able to tell myself, but for now she just looks like a slightly-chubbier-than-normal little girl.

Thanks

Before they have babies they look like they swallowed two ping-pong balls. If you can visibly see a lump or two babies will arrive within days.

April

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby
    Before they have babies they look like they swallowed two ping-pong balls. If you can visibly see a lump or two babies will arrive within days.
    At which time it's good to remove the males, correct?

Thanks

Yes, female mice and rats will get overly protective around their young. Watch your fingers.

~Jim

Thanks

I never remove the male.

April

Thanks

I'm sorry, but like April said, those mice will not stay in those drawers. With the lack of ventilation, you are going to have to clean those tubs every 3 days. Mice urinate CONSTANTLY and their urine is very concentrated and ammonia filled.

Ever stick your head in a pine bedding-filled urine-caked enclosure with no ventilation before? You will never want to again if you do. It makes your eyes water, your nose burn and is just disgusting. It will damage the mices' lungs irreversibly and there go your breeders(and future litters). They don't breed well when stressed, and not being able to breathe properly stresses them out.

I recommend just getting normal plastic tubs that are wider and longer than they are tall, replacing the majority of the middle of the lid with wire mesh and using them that way. To help cut down on the urine smell, put a few drops of vanilla into their water bottles.

I hope this helps and I did not come off as rude. You want babies, and the way they are set up, you will be pulling your hair out as the constant changing of bedding and loose mice will drive you bonkers. Oh, and pine bedding should not be used in an enclosed space. The phenols are not good for their lungs or their skin, but what can ya do. You need alot of ventilation when using pine so as to not damage their lungs. The combined smell of the pine shavings and their pee is enough to gag a maggot. I use aspen, and even letting a 10 gallon tank with 3 mice in it(1 male) go for a week just about makes me gag. They STINK, so as much ventilation as you can provide, it will really help.
    --Becky--
    ?.? Normals, 1.0 100% Het Pied Classic Jungle, 1.0 Yellow Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Butterscotch Hypo, 0.1 100% Het VPI Hypo, 0.1 100% Het Yellow Hypo, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Yellowbellies, 0.1 YB Granite, 1.0 Black Pastel, 1.0 Lemon Pastel, 0.1 50% Possible Het Banded Albino, 0.1 Spider, 1.0 Fire, 0.2 Granite

Thanks

Becky is absolutely right.

I use pine, but my cages are all well ventilated so I haven't had any problems with it. I wouldn't even consider cedar though.

April

Thanks

What do you think about the larger Kritter Keepers? I'll probably just pick up a 10- or 20-gallon aquarium for them, but would the Kritter Keepers be a waste of my time and money?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast