Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,779

0 members and 1,779 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,787 Times in 11,824 Posts
    Every house needs a snake that does comedy, eh?
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Re: Personal funny reptile moments

Yea, that probably would give me a heart attack as well...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    0.1 Reg. BP Het. Albino (Faye),
    1.0 Albino BP (Henry),
    0.1 Pastave BP Het. Pied (Kira)
    1.0 Pied BP (Sam)
    1.0 Bumble Bee BP (Izzy)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Rainbow, she was a large female retic I had, Came flying about 6 feet out her enclosure to grab a chicken. It was half way down her mouth when I went to help her back in her enclosure. She spit it out and looked at me like "I am eating here!" Left her alone and she got it the rest of the way down and went back in her enclosure to digest. For a moment I did not know what I was going to do to get her home. I am just happy she loved her home enough to go back in while in food mode.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Skyrivers For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-15-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 572 Posts
    Even if I didn't dutifully keep feeding records, I think I'd be able to tell when my BP's getting to that stage of hungry due to the number of objects he bowls over during the night at this point. He does tend to move around most nights, but there's cruising and then there's hunting where he's determined to dismantle his nicely decorated enclosure.

Thanks
    Yeah, snakes can be rough on that nice decor we try to set up. One reason I'd personally never do bio-active- it would never work for what I keep anyway.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 572 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Yeah, snakes can be rough on that nice decor we try to set up. One reason I'd personally never do bio-active- it would never work for what I keep anyway.
    You just know there's at least someone out there who went with a super fancy bioactive with a full range of live plants, and then put a sand boa in it and proceeded to wonder why all their plants kept getting toppled over. Going as naturalistic as possible is a nice thought, but reality often disagrees with such sentiments in the practicality department.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Snagrio For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-17-2022)

Thanks
    Yeah, I think bio-active would be great for something like banded geckos or night lizards (my desert "past" is showing), but not snakes. The calmest snakes I have- that never re-arrange their enclosures- are my Trans Pecos rat snakes (which is amazing, considering they get 4' to 5') & my Aussie Spotted python (she's about 4'). They don't dig under things or knock them over, & are very "respectful" of whatever I set up for them- they move slowly & deliberately, which I greatly appreciate.

Thanks
    MAN do I have some good stories for my ball python Phantom. My friends affectionately refer to him as a himbo because although he's very docile and sweet (and has even won over friends and family who used to be very nervous around snakes), he is...not a shining example of reptile intelligence.

Phantom has a high ledge in his enclosure. He likes to climb up there and chill at night. One time after handling him, I was putting him back and he reeeeeached for his ledge, so I set him up there. He was content for a few minutes before wanting down. Now, he's mostly curled on top of his ledge, but he stretches his neck out slowly to survey his climbing down options. Another ledge slightly lower down to his right--yes, ok, he's marked that as an option. There's also a log that points up to his ledge--he taps that with his nose and clocks it as another option. Two valid ways to climb down. So he gathers up his coils, and promptly yeets himself off the ledge by just rolling off the side, rather than climbing down. When he lands (on his substrate, only like a foot down), he seemed shocked, like he could not comprehend what just happened. Why ledge mean to Phantom? Surprise pikachu face!

He's a sweetie but boy he's not clever lol

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VelkynKarma For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (07-05-2022),Homebody (07-06-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VelkynKarma View Post
    ...He's a sweetie but boy he's not clever lol ...
    He has plenty of "company"- hahaha! But BPs are rather poor at hanging onto things, so climbing up or down is more of a challenge, due to their body shape-plus shelves probably don't really have anything for them to hang onto.* That's one thing that's cool about rat snakes (incl. corn snakes)- they slide along branches pretty gracefully, & even rest comfortably on them- they've got the right body build for it though. *You can likely improve the available traction for yours with simple additions.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (07-06-2022)

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567