Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,766

4 members and 2,762 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Re: What is Your Dream Reptile?

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Swimming back & forth across a pool in marked-off lanes, like they do in Olympic races. Recreationally, you can swim either for time or distance or both. I love the exercise & usually swim laps for 1.5- 2 hours- about 2 miles or so. I usually run out of time (adults only swim session) before I run out of energy. You should try it some time. Our town pool is outdoors, so we have to wait for summer- but we're trying to get a big new indoor complex approved & built, as our existing pool is getting up in years & our town is growing. Swimming is great exercise, plus for adults, it's much easier on your body (joints & all) while still being aerobic. Getting in shape is so much fun this way.

Any more questions? Not sure what will happen this year, with the pandemic & all- we all swam last summer & no one got sick except for one lifeguard who had another job where he was exposed- he was fine after he quarantined. At the rate this year is going though, we may not be so lucky.

(oops!)
    Ahh

I had this image of you floating , sat bolt upright , legs crossed and paddling forwards with your hands

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Ahh

I had this image of you floating , sat bolt upright , legs crossed and paddling forwards with your hands

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    That would be impossible. .... Um, whatever? I actually swim all my laps with training fins too, that's more "work" for leg muscles & gets you in the best shape.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (01-13-2021)

Thanks
    One thing about using an outdoor pool- sometimes we get to rescue frogs or snakes first thing in the morning. The chemically-treated water is BAD for them so the faster we get them out, the better.

Anyway, back to dream reptiles!

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Burmese python in terms of giant snakes/being too big for me (for many reasons). Boelean's Python for out of budget and probably too big. Water Monitor or Tegu for lizards that need enclosures that are too big and/or need more time and work than I have.

I would also like a hognose snake, but I am concerned about the rear-fanged venom thing, even though they rarely bite. I had a kidney transplant and do not need to risk a bite and see what my reaction could be.

Venomous reptiles I want are a Green Mamba and Gila Monster. The latter isn't happening and the former scares the heck out of me. Beautiful animal though.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Hugsplox (01-14-2021)

Thanks

blue tongue skink, red ackie, or a female pied ball python *leaning currently towards the skink - they seem so personable
    No cage is too large - nature is the best template - a snoot can't be booped too much

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post

I would also like a hognose snake, but I am concerned about the rear-fanged venom thing, even though they rarely bite. I had a kidney transplant and do not need to risk a bite and see what my reaction could be.
    You can always wear gloves if you really wanted one. This was a concern for my wife as well, but hognoses don't have your typical venomous snake teeth, their teeth have grooves in them and they have to chew their venom in vs. injecting it like a rattlesnake would. I apologize if I'm telling you something you already know, just wanted to put your mind at ease if you really want one!

I've been tagged a few times but I considered them more bluff strikes. They have those hard little noses that'll make you think you got bit at first, but they really have to work to get any venom in you.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-14-2021),dakski (01-14-2021),GoingPostal (01-14-2021)

Thanks

My dream snake starts with this caveat: I don’t really want to support the pet trade in general outside of the supplies I need for my animals. I know there are many ethical, responsible breeders, but I still feel icky about it (even though I know I don’t need to.) As a result, I now like to take in animals that people are trying to get rid of: all of my animals except for the tarantulas I’ve had for years were rehomed to me.

SO, my dream reptiles are a female common boa, a male wild-type Burmese python and a false water cobra.

They’re quite attainable ... but the way I go about getting new petss means it may never happen.
    Maxine & Luther - dogs
    Carlisle-male normal ball python (12ish years old)
    Travis-male normal blood python (1.5 years old)
    Alexis-female citrus bearded dragon
    Heather- adult zebra stripe knee tarantula (a. seemanni)
    Three-juvenile Mexican red leg T (b. boehmei)
    Steve Carell-adult curly hair T (b. albopilosum)

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Deanna For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-14-2021),TofuTofuTofu (03-09-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deanna View Post
    My dream snake starts with this caveat: I don’t really want to support the pet trade in general outside of the supplies I need for my animals. I know there are many ethical, responsible breeders, but I still feel icky about it (even though I know I don’t need to.) As a result, I now like to take in animals that people are trying to get rid of: all of my animals except for the tarantulas I’ve had for years were rehomed to me.

SO, my dream reptiles are a female common boa, a male wild-type Burmese python and a false water cobra.

They’re quite attainable ... but the way I go about getting new petss means it may never happen.
    You never know, someone that has one of these may be looking to re-home theirs, especially knowing they're wanted by someone who's really caring enough to take in those needing homes rather than just buying the "next fanciest thing". Though in my own experience with taking in snakes, some of the ones I never expected or "wanted" turned out to be some of the best.

Thanks

I hope so! I’m in no hurry though. I like seeing what other people’s dream animals are, this is always a good type of thread
    Maxine & Luther - dogs
    Carlisle-male normal ball python (12ish years old)
    Travis-male normal blood python (1.5 years old)
    Alexis-female citrus bearded dragon
    Heather- adult zebra stripe knee tarantula (a. seemanni)
    Three-juvenile Mexican red leg T (b. boehmei)
    Steve Carell-adult curly hair T (b. albopilosum)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,244 Times in 667 Posts
    Many of mine have been said and there are some great picks on this thread!!

However, my current dream and hopefully soon attainable animal is a bells phase lace monitor ! I just love the contrasting black and white and find them gorgeous and fascinating.

I’ve cut my teeth so to speak in the last year as I’m raising a baby white throat monitor. I’ve had my two quince monitors for 2.5 years now or so and wanted bigger and boy did I get bigger my guy is a chunker but a sweetheart.

a croc monitor is also on my short list but they do worry me a bit. If I could get a captive born baby out of the egg I think I would give it a go!!

my dream snake right now would have to be an eastern indigo
    1.0 - Cinnamon Banana Ball Python (Thunder)
    1.0 - Yellow Belly High White Pied Ball Python (Pretty Fly For A White Guy)
    0.1 - Cinnamon GHI Ball Python (Leslie Snipes)
    1.0 - Dumerils Boa (Sushi)
    0.1 - Caye Caulker Boa (Lady Liberty)
    0.0.? - Mandarin Rat Snake (Bumble)
    1.0 - Mexican Black King (Rico Suave)
    1.0 - Black Tail Cribo (Goldar)
    0.1 - Jaguar Carpet Python (Cookie)
    1.0 - Vietnamese Blue Beauty (Elsa)
    1.0 - Green Tree Python (Banner)
    0.2 - Yellow/Quince Monitors (Blanche & Dorothy)

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phillydubs For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-16-2021),jmcrook (01-16-2021)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast