Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,074

1 members and 3,073 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

Cool & newly observed snake locomotion

Hey all, this has a really cool video- I had to share so here's the link below-

And because songs just stick in my head, now I keep humming the dance song "C'mon baby, do the locomotion!" so here's the link for that too...you KNOW you've been sitting around too much! I can even picture the snake's motion being set to this song, lol. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZAhzVvgY-c
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://www.9news.com/article/tech/s...b-2218c6660435

SCIENCECSU scientists discovered a snake can climb like a lasso and there's haunting video to prove it

CSU scientists are helping to save endangered birds one creepy snake video at a time.

Terrifying night vision video shows snake climbing pole

Volume 90%
    [COLOR=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.8)]

[COLOR=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.8)]

[/COLOR]

[/COLOR]
    Author: Allison Sylte
    Published: 12:11 PM MST January 11, 2021
    Updated: 12:47 PM MST January 11, 2021

DENVER — When it’s Monday morning and a study about snakes hits your inbox, sometimes it’s best to lean in, absorb some mad snake knowledge and hope there’s enough time between watching the videos and bed that they won’t permeate your dreams too much.

These Monday morning snake revelations come courtesy scientists at Colorado State University and the University of Cincinnati, who researched something called “lasso locomotion.” According to a news release from CSU, what this basically means is that there are some brown snakes that are way, way better at climbing up trees than previously thought.

The good news (if you’re not a snake fan)? Now might be the time to mention that this particular species of snake lives in Guam, which according to Google Maps is 6,651 miles and one ocean away from Denver.

>>> Watch a terrifying night vision video of the snake climbing a pole like a lasso in the video player above.

Credit: Courtesy CSU
    Here's one of the brown snakes saying "feelng cute, might delete later" (probably).

Nevertheless, these brown snakes are quite the trouble makers on this tropical island. According to CSU, they’re capable of climbing power poles (leading to electrical outages) as well as finding prey to snack on that would be otherwise unobtainable.

The goal of the research is to protect endangered birds from the snakes and to potentially help wildlife managers find a way to deter them.

For what it’s worth, these brown snakes were accidentally introduced to Guam in the late 1940s and early 1950s. Soon, bird populations began to diminish – and CSU Emeritus Professor Julie Savidge began to focus her research on finding out why.

“Most of the native forest birds are gone on Guam,” Savidge said. “There’s a relatively small population of Micronesian starlings and another cave-nesting bird, the swiftlet, that has survived in small numbers. The starling serves an important ecological function by dispersing fruit and seeds which can help maintain Guam’s forests.”

Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Luvyna (01-11-2021),nikkubus (06-06-2021),Starscream (06-06-2021)

Thanks
    Lol my snake will shimmy up arm just like this. "Terrifying night vision" is too funny.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trinityblood For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-11-2021),Luvyna (01-11-2021)

Thanks
    That video looks so eerie but it was made 100% better by the music you recommended to go along with it

Very cool form of locomotion! I love how the snake literally forms a lasso shape with its body.

Interestingly I have seen my BP do something similar except going in the opposite direction, he has discovered that a good way to get down from tables and chairs is to wrap around one of the legs and then slowly slide down.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Luvyna For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-11-2021)

Thanks

Re: Cool & newly observed snake locomotion

Quote Originally Posted by Luvyna View Post
    That video looks so eerie but it was made 100% better by the music you recommended to go along with it

Very cool form of locomotion! I love how the snake literally forms a lasso shape with its body.

Interestingly I have seen my BP do something similar except going in the opposite direction, he has discovered that a good way to get down from tables and chairs is to wrap around one of the legs and then slowly slide down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trinityblood View Post
    Lol my snake will shimmy up arm just like this. "Terrifying night vision" is too funny.
    I suppose this isn't that surprising to snake keepers. Many of us would have had one hang on our wrist like a bracelet and even climb up our arm that way.
    Last edited by Ascended; 06-05-2021 at 03:37 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I suppose this isn't that surprising to snake keepers. Many of us would have had one hang on our wrist like a bracelet and even climb up our arm that way.
    My longest rat snakes loop around my waist & hang onto their tails that way, but they're usually just staying in place- not climbing "to the top".
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    My longest rat snakes loop around my waist & hang onto their tails that way, but they're usually just staying in place- not climbing "to the top".
    Yes I have had a live snake belt around my waist. Rat snake too.
    I hear the bracelet thing is why they are also called royal pythons. Queens would ware them. Dont know if its true.

https://www.google.com/search?q=roya...lz=1C1CHBF_en-

The name royal python is believed to be derived from the fact that many African rulers were known to have worn live pythons as jewelry.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=roya..._AUoAHoECAEQAA

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Ascended For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-06-2021)