Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 832

1 members and 831 guests
Gio,
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks

Boa decor suggestions!

Hey all!

I am getting my first 4x2x2 PVC enclosure soon, and I want it to look nice. I also want it to be easy to clean and sanitize- I often see pictures of enclosures that are filled with tons of plants (fake or real) and moss, which I'm sure is stunning to look at and nice for the snake but must be terrible to deconstruct and sanitize (if its not bioactive).

I don't want to go the bioactive route, but here's my plan so far:
    - lots of coco husk or similar substrate (my boa, who I was told would love to climb, prefers to spend at least 2 days a week completely under the substrate, silly guy).
    - some nice wood that could stretch across the enclosure for climbing and perching.
    - two matching hides on either side
    -a potted, anchored spider plant. I planted it in snake safe substrate. I think it would look nice and since I have infinite spider plants I can just replace it if he crushes it.
    -little patches of moss I can replace. He likes to flip them over? I guess we all have hobbies huh

A note is that I have a little niq boa. Little guy. Looks like his adult length will end up under 5 ft for sure.

what do your enclosures look like? what do you have?

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Re: Boa decor suggestions!

This is one of my boa setups. 2” diameter tree stake rested on corner brackets (could also use Specialty Enclosure Designs perch holders), two RBI hides, couple driftwoods, all wrapped in cheap silk plants well rinsed and dried before using. Also a shelf behind the perch not visible in this pic. Whole enclosure can be emptied in under a minute. I have a couple threads on here about the enclosures as well. Forgot what I titled them, “PVC Mods at Casa de Crook” I think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-10-2021),Reinz (01-09-2021),richardhind1972 (01-09-2021)

Thanks

Re: Boa decor suggestions!

That looks great! Thankyou! I think its such a good feature to be able to empty it so quickly. Ill look around for your other threads for some more inspiration

5. The Following User Says Thank You to opescuseme For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (01-10-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts
    Sorry I'm late here.

JM and I provide similar options for climbing. My boa is around 7 feet long. He's got 3 perches in his 4 foot wide by 30 inches deep by 20 inches tall cage. I wish it was 2 feet tall but I didn't go that route early on.

I use RHPs for heat and he has 2 hides and a water bowl. I have fake rock backgrounds on all of the cages here and spruce things up with fake plants. Everything comes out easily and cleans up well.

The top cage is for the royal, the middle is now for the Bredli and the bottom is the boa.

All of the cages are shown here. The left is the 6' x 30" x 2'.

My boa started off in the cage the royal is in now.

You can dress these things up pretty much however you want as long as the needs of the animal are met.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-15-2021),jmcrook (01-10-2021),opescuseme (01-10-2021),richardhind1972 (01-11-2021)

Thanks
    No pics to post yet, but I'm a few months into my setups on 2 stacked 4x2x2s. My setup is fairly similar to the one above from jmcrook and I used his suggestion on the corner brackets. A few differences are that I used fresh cut bamboo instead of the tree stakes. In addition to bamboo, I had access to "driftwood" from a nearby river so I was able to cut, clean, and sand 4', Y shaped branches that run the length of the enclosure, but also provide a climbing route up to the bamboo and raised shelf. Neither snake actually needed the climbing branch to get up to the bamboo and shelf, but they both seemed to like it. I didn't wrap the bamboo in fake plants, but I did wrap fake plants on the Y branches and I put some fake plants over the ground hides to partially cover the plastic. They both seemed to like the fake leaf cover over the hide openings where they could stick their head out and still feel "hidden".

My only issue thus far is keeping the humidity up this winter. Misting only works for a day before it drops back to about 45-50%. I'm having some luck taking out a few handfuls of the cocohusk, wetting in a sink, draining, and then remixing with the rest of the substrate in the enclosures. This keeps up the humidity for a week+. I'm also playing with mixing in some moss with the substrate and keeping a small pan of just moss embedded down in the substrate.

I have a large water bowl at ground level and a small water dish up on the shelf. I have hides on both sides of the shelf and both sides at ground level. The hides don't take up much room yet b/c the snakes are a 1.5 year Tarahumara and 7 month BCA. The only things I can't take out quickly for cleaning are the bamboo cross beams since I used twine to tie them into the corner brackets to keep them from spinning. I also tied in the top of Y branches, but can quickly untie those.

No live plants or backgrounds for now.