Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,331

3 members and 3,328 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks

Serious question, need opinions

So one of my friends that keeps a few bps also keeps their pet rats in the same room. One of them recently developed an RI but they aren't entirely sure how since they keep the enclosures very clean and the temps and humidity are spot on.
    They have kept them in the same room for a couple of years without problems until now.

So my question is do you think the rat bedding caused the RI? I asked them what kind of bedding they use for both the rats and the snakes, they use reptichip for the snakes and pine with a thin layer of cedar beneath the pine shavings.

They are currently waiting on the results of a culture from the sick snake so I figured I would ask here since we both weren't sure what could have caused the RI.

Sent from my LGL164VL using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Re: Serious question, need opinions

Cedar is toxic to reptiles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-09-2021),Hugsplox (01-11-2021),Reinz (01-09-2021),Toad37 (01-09-2021)

Thanks
    Can you describe the enclosure set up? What is the heating source, how are temperatures measured, what are the temperature and humidity numbers?

Also both cedar and pine are toxic to snakes so there absolutely should not be any of that in the enclosures! The rule for snakes is no soft woods should be used. Stick with hard woods like cypress and aspen or use coconut husk.

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks

Re: Serious question, need opinions

Quote Originally Posted by Luvyna View Post
    Can you describe the enclosure set up? What is the heating source, how are temperatures measured, what are the temperature and humidity numbers?

Also both cedar and pine are toxic to snakes so there absolutely should not be any of that in the enclosures! The rule for snakes is no soft woods should be used. Stick with hard woods like cypress and aspen or use coconut husk.
    I believe the snakes are in a VE rack system with flexwatt for belly heat, they use a herpstat to regulate the flexwatt. They keep it set for the hot spot to be 90°F and the cool side is 82°F, humidity is 60% and they're kept on coconut husk. No wood shavings are inside the snake tubs

My question was if the smell from the rats bedding could have caused an RI, they are on pine and cedar

EDIT: I just re read my original post and noticed I didn't specify that the Rats are on cedar and pine, the Snakes are on Reptichip

Sent from my LGL164VL using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Alexiel03; 01-09-2021 at 06:21 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,826 Times in 11,845 Posts
    No, I don't think the rat's bedding caused the snake's infection, but the rats themselves are not germ-free, nor are WE humans. Most pathogens favor certain species, but not all- there are plenty of zoonotic diseases around.

The rats should NEVER be kept on cedar shavings, EVER, as it irritates their lungs & causes health problems for them. Pine shavings are okay, in my experience, but if you have a brand or version with more volatile oils, that too can cause problems, but mainly it's cedar (& things like eucalyptus- but I know of no shavings sold made from eucalyptus trees).
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Hugsplox (01-11-2021),Luvyna (01-09-2021)