Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,232

1 members and 2,231 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Newbie to BP any tips?

I got my first Ball Python (Slithers) in September from a friend looking to re-home her 2yr old BP. She thinks its male and had it on a every other week feeding of one large rat. But I'm concerned that the feedings are too far apart because he will start hunting several days before the next feeding. I already knew I needed a new tank because they kept him in a 20g long. He is now in a 30g breeder tank and loves the space. He hadn't been handled for most of the past year so it's taking him a bit to get used to me holding him. I mostly just sit with him while watch TV. I got him a humidifier and he has a heating pad with a hide and a nice size branch he likes to curl around.
    I have other reptiles such as beardies and skinks. Im just looking for any tips on caring for my new baby. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Also wondering if I should take him to my vet for a check up or not? Most of the other reptiles are on file because they were rescues we rehabbed and then kept.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts
    They are opportunistic feeders and remain interested in food for a number of days after feeding. Unless this thing is an absolute behemoth, there is little if any reason to feed large rats and certainly no more frequently than you are currently. My 11.5yr old male eats a small rat every 12-21 days and does just fine, maintains good weight and muscle tone, and will still go on an occasional feeding strike. Pics would be helpful for us to offer additional insight.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-05-2021),GoingPostal (01-06-2021),Mute_Sorrows (01-05-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,795 Times in 11,828 Posts

Re: Newbie to BP any tips?

Quote Originally Posted by Mute_Sorrows View Post
    ...Also wondering if I should take him to my vet for a check up or not? Most of the other reptiles are on file because they were rescues we rehabbed and then kept.
    It's mostly about how much confidence you have in your vet. Personally, I don't take any snakes to see a vet unless there's an obvious problem- but I've been keeping many snakes for many years, & in my own experiences, subtle signs of illness are best detected by me. And unfortunately, where I live now, there are no good reptile vets within a reasonable distance, so "check-ups" would be either pointless or do more harm than good. If I need vet help here for one of my snakes, I have to be an active partner in the process.

Anyway,
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 01-05-2021 at 12:37 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (01-06-2021),Hugsplox (01-05-2021),Mute_Sorrows (01-05-2021)

Thanks

This is the best picture I could get to upload for now.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mute_Sorrows For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-05-2021)

Thanks

Our current vet primarily does exotics and has been very helpful with our other reptiles. But we also only take them in when there are signs of something being wrong as well.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mute_Sorrows For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-06-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    Unless this thing is an absolute behemoth, there is little if any reason to feed large rats and certainly no more frequently than you are currently.
    Honestly I just continued with what his original owner was doing when it came to feeding. He doesn't struggle with eating his food. He will start hunting about 3-4 days before his next feeding.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,795 Times in 11,828 Posts

This is the best picture I could get to upload for now.
    Looks fine to me "from here".
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Mute_Sorrows (01-05-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Honestly I just continued with what his original owner was doing when it came to feeding. He doesn't struggle with eating his food. He will start hunting about 3-4 days before his next feeding.
    My boas hunt every single day. Doesn’t mean they’re ready to eat again. These are lie in wait predators, programmed by hundreds of thousands of years of evolution to grab food when they can because it could be months before something walks by them again. By comparison they are very spoiled in captivity but their instincts don’t know that. I used to feed medium rats weekly and would encounter months long food strikes from my male. Dialing back to smalls less frequently he still goes on fasts but not as often and for shorter durations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-05-2021),GoingPostal (01-06-2021),Mute_Sorrows (01-05-2021)

Thanks

He bas gone through one shed since I got him and that was the only time he has refused to eat. Which I expected to happen I was just slow to noticing his eyes had gone blue.

Thanks
    I do have a question about food though. Would it be better to continue going through a reptile store or order online for rats?
    I'm obviously I'm not feeding him live prey but any of the stores I trust for my reptile supplies are an hour or more drive from my house. Usually we go to the local reptile shows and stock up but with Covid there haven't been any.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast