Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,831

2 members and 2,829 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

New Ball python (first time owning)

Hi,
    I am new here and I just wanted to ask a few questions to clarify since I got my first ball python about a month ago.
    My snake is in a twenty gallon exo terra her heat is set at 90 and her humidity around 50%. I have a thermostat and hydrometer. I'll send a picture of her setup.

Sorry the pictures big, it won't go smaller. So, does this look good.
    The first 3 weeks she wouldn't eat, first I tried frozen thawed then I asked the pet store and they said she was on live hoppers. I tried it but she wouldn't eat so I got an AFS and she went strait for it. She seems to be going into shed but it is only the first day or to so I can't be sure yet
    The next thing is that the first week I would hold her for a few minutes. I wasn't aware that I shouldn't and after I learned that I stopped holding her. When I did hold her I was very pleased because she was very confident. She didn't curl into a ball, instead she explored my hands and the couch without moving to fast. This is good, right?
    The day before I fed her she was exploring her cage at night and she saw me come in, instead of going back into her hide she came towards me so I opened the door and she came out into my hands. I held her for a few minutes and she went through my hands and onto my bed and arms.
    She also doesn't come out during the day which I have heard is good.
    The last thing is that when she is on me sometimes she will get a bit sticky on my skin, since I have never held a snake before I don't know weather it should be like that.
    Thank you!

Thanks
    Sounds like all is going well, although I don't see a photo in your post.
    It might be a little difficult to convert your snake's diet from live ASF to frozen/thawed rats, assuming that is your goal.
    It's definitely possible though and there are lots of threads on this forum covering how to do it.

As for the sticky feeling, not sure what that could be! Ball pythons should feel smooth and dry.
    Perhaps if your skin is clammy or sweaty or something it might feel sticky, but the snake shouldn't be.
    0.1 Lesser Het Pied
    0.1 Leopard Pastel Het Pied
    1.0 CG/Banana Enchi Mojave
    1.0 Spotnose Pastel Leopard Het ghost ph. pied