Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,754

0 members and 2,754 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
    Thanks

Exclamation SD Retic Updates

I thought you guys might enjoy some updates on my 25% Kalatoa SD Retics. My female will be 4 years old in April and my male will be 4 in May. So far, I am very happy with the size that I have been able to keep them at on a maintenance diet regimen. Now that I have finally been pairing them (no locks yet, unfortunately), I have been feeding the girl larger rats and feeding them both more frequently and they are bulking up, though. So, i'm still praying that I don't end up with giant snakes...

Female Purple Golden Child:

Male Lavender Motley:

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Aedryan Methyus For This Useful Post:

67temp (01-05-2021),Bogertophis (01-04-2021),EL-Ziggy (01-04-2021),Gio (01-05-2021),Kam (01-05-2021),Reptile$ 4 Life (01-09-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts

Re: SD Retic Updates

Quote Originally Posted by Aedryan Methyus View Post
    ...i'm still praying that I don't end up with giant snakes... ....
    Those are very handsome snakes, but I hope the same thing, for your sake, lol. I'm glad they're yours, not mine...
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Aedryan Methyus (01-04-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts
    I think the growth rate is looking good. I had my issues at the 2.5-3 year mark. I fed about as conservatively as you can feed and wound up with an animal hitting the 9 foot mark at 3 years.

The size wasn't as much an issue as the combative, male attitude I had to deal with. That attitude coupled with the size wound up being a double negative. At 9 feet my guy was pretty thick and very strong.

Not my bag, so off he went after a nasty 3rd bite.

This is about you though, and I must say those are beautiful animals and look to be the perfect sizes. I suspect at the 4 year mark you should see the growth taper to a trickle. Keeping the prey items on the smaller side and spacing out the feeding should keep their sizes in check and their health very good.

I'm glad I checked this thread. Retics are wonderful for the right keeper.

Congrats on your progress.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

67temp (01-05-2021),Aedryan Methyus (01-05-2021),Bogertophis (01-05-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    I think the growth rate is looking good. I had my issues at the 2.5-3 year mark. I fed about as conservatively as you can feed and wound up with an animal hitting the 9 foot mark at 3 years.

The size wasn't as much an issue as the combative, male attitude I had to deal with. That attitude coupled with the size wound up being a double negative. At 9 feet my guy was pretty thick and very strong.

Not my bag, so off he went after a nasty 3rd bite.

This is about you though, and I must say those are beautiful animals and look to be the perfect sizes. I suspect at the 4 year mark you should see the growth taper to a trickle. Keeping the prey items on the smaller side and spacing out the feeding should keep their sizes in check and their health very good.

I'm glad I checked this thread. Retics are wonderful for the right keeper.

Congrats on your progress.
    Thanks for sharing! That is reassuring... lol I’m sorry that your boy didn’t work out. I don’t blame you one “bit” for sending him on his way, though. I wouldn’t keep an aggressive animal that is capable of causing the kind of injuries that these guys can inflict, either. So far, I have only taken one bite (from the female) and it was totally an accident at feeding time and my fault entirely. I was just thankful that she didn’t wrap me!

Was your boy an SD or a mainland?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aedryan Methyus View Post
    Thanks for sharing! That is reassuring... lol I’m sorry that your boy didn’t work out. I don’t blame you one “bit” for sending him on his way, though. I wouldn’t keep an aggressive animal that is capable of causing the kind of injuries that these guys can inflict, either. So far, I have only taken one bite (from the female) and it was totally an accident at feeding time and my fault entirely. I was just thankful that she didn’t wrap me!

Was your boy an SD or a mainland?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hi,

2 of the 3 bites, or at least 1 for sure was my fault. The last was all his doing.

Wallace was a mixture of SD, Dwarf and Mainland.

I believe only 17% was mainland. He was more Dwarf than SD but the percentages were encouraging when looking at final size.

If he had been well mannered, 9+ feet would have been OK. But he was very aggressive and very fast.

The switched flipped at 2 3/4 years roughly. I'd been in contact with Garrett from Reach Out Reptiles (wonderful person) and tried some techniques to work with Wallace but in the end, he was too much to deal with. He'd probably be very successful in the wild.

It must have been a bad year because 2 other friends from the board had similar issues.

I'm certainly no expert, but if I ventured to guess, you'll have no issues. The guy I placed Wallace with still says he's nasty. You likely have a fully mature male and other than breeding season issues that may be spurred on by your female I think you are in the clear.

Both of your retics are the perfect size and seem well behaved.

Retics are like nothing else!!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Aedryan Methyus (01-06-2021)