Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,844

1 members and 2,843 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Smile Ball python behavior change

Hello! I am simply writing this because this is my first ever ball python, he's a little over two years old. And after looking everywhere online I cannot tell if these are signs of stress or if my snake is simply more comfortable with his environment. I recently purchased a warmer bulb for him because he always felt cold and I never really was able to feel heat in his tank, and I also moved him into my bedroom instead of the livingroom because my room tends to be the warmest area of the house. Since then he's been going all around his cage and climbing his tree and stretching his body to the top of his enclosure as well as bumping his nose on the glass sides. I read this could be stress, maybe from being too warm and trying to escape, but I have also read that he simply could just be more exploratory due to his better conditions. He is eating okay and he recently shed so I haven't been too concerned. Please let me know just so I can finally feel less worried and know he's all healthy. Thank you!!

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    You MUST take accurate temperature readings in his cage- he may be dangerously overheated, for all you know, if you aren't actually taking the temperatures (lowest to highest). Heat can kill snakes, & when they cannot escape, they'll do what yours IS doing- be restless & try to escape. The ONLY way to know is to make SURE the temps are both safe and appropriate for a ball python: coolest 77-80*, warmest 88-90*.

REMEMBER: You are 98.6* (roughly) so for your snake or his home to FEEL warm to you, it must be WARMER than you are, & if it is, it's too hot. DO NOT WAIT, please FIND OUT NOW -if you want him to get much older than 2. Before excessive heat kills a snake, it can cause permanent neurological damage. I recommend you buy a "digital temp. gun" to accurately read the temperatures. There are recent threads on here recommending brands & details, please check them out so you get the right thing.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (01-03-2021),Spicey (01-03-2021)