Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,973

0 members and 2,973 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Strange Ball Python Poop

Quick update:

I thoroughly cleaned/disinfected his enclosure today. The temps are still doing good and his cool side is now 77+ (warmer during the day). Today he urinated which was a lot of liquid and some urates. Is that normal? I’ve heard it means he’s really well hydrated but I’m not sure.

I weighed him today and he lost about 12 grams since his vet visit. I’m thinking that’s because he missed a feeding last week but I fed him two days ago so hopefully he will gain the weight back. I think I’ll give him two weeks (two feedings) with the new temps and see if he improves.

I’ve also noticed he’s quite small for his age but then again I don’t really know his age. Theoretically, he’s 2 years old right now but could be younger. He’s about 2 - 2.5 feet and 500 grams. He’s always been on the thinner side but I’m hoping he’ll put on some weight.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Snakes that have "strange" feces and fail to grow & keep weight on at the expected rate are perfect candidates to have their feces professionally checked for parasites. When snakes "share" their food with parasites, they cannot grow at normal rates & often die prematurely because of the damage done by the parasites, which can invade various organs of the snake's body.

I wouldn't make assumptions about the weight "loss" as that could easily be related to meals, hydration, & defecation; please remember that we aren't seeing your snake here, your vet is the best one to do that. Glad you fixed the temps, but I'd still be concerned about having his stool checked if that was my snake.

FYI, what makes it difficult to advise you here: we don't all see our pets body weight the same way, any more than we judge our own body weights very well. Some of us eat more than others & carry more weight ourselves, & tend to feed our pets "generously" & feel that's normal, whereas others of us eat lighter, weigh less & expect the same lean physique of our pets. I've seen some post pics of what they considered to be their "skinny" snake that was actually overweight, & vice versa. Perception is a funny thing...so when you say "he's on the thinner side" & you're "hoping he'll put on some weight", we can't help you without seeing your snake in good photos at the very least, & the vet is in the best place to assess him, IF the vet has adequate experience with snakes. Giving us his weight is meaningless without knowing his actual size- your "noodle" could be angel hair pasta, or rigatoni...know what I mean?
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Hugsplox (01-05-2021),Ronniex2 (01-30-2021),RyanLovesSneks24 (01-06-2021)

Thanks

Alright, heres an update:

He seems to be getting better! I weighed him again and he hadn’t lost any weight so I’m wondering if it might be a difference in scales? His poop is also normal (besides having a lot of liquid with urates) and he’s still active. He didn’t take his mouse last night but he does do that sometimes so I’m going to try again Saturday. Besides that he has been eating great. I think I’ll wait until his next poop and if it’s still strange, I’ll bag it and take it to the vet. You guys might be better at telling weight than I am as this is the first snake I’ve had so here’s some picture of him. He is 488 grams.

Here are some pictures (sorry, I tried uploading to the gallery on here but it wouldn’t load after much time waiting. It’s just my internet)

https://postimg.cc/gallery/jW8Z33W

5. The Following User Says Thank You to RyanLovesSneks24 For This Useful Post:

Ronniex2 (01-30-2021)

Thanks
    When a BP refuses food, it's often better not to re-offer too quickly. I'd wait at least a week, & check to see if he's going into shed before you get his next meal ready- snakes seem to know well before we can see visible cues, & that might be why he refused. Hard to say with a BP though.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Ronniex2 (01-30-2021),RyanLovesSneks24 (01-28-2021)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I’ve had males and females give me gnarly poops like that during breeding season. They usually smell pretty bad too. Maybe it’s scenting? Stinks up the room pretty good.
    Joe
    #1 Lurker...
    working with Phantom, Black Head, Cypress, Special, Lesser, Het Daddy, Leopard, Spotnose, YB, OD, Hypo, Desert Ghost and Clown.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to lovepig78 For This Useful Post:

RyanLovesSneks24 (02-22-2021)

Thanks

Yes it smells horrible! Maybe that’s it then? He pooped today and it’s looking closer to normal though it’s kinda... grainy? Like solid and in a proper shape but looks gravely.

Thanks

Small update: He’s still losing weight so I am scheduling him a vet appointment to get his feces checked out. The fecal examination is 60+ dollars (no idea why it’s so expensive) and the physical exam is 70+ dollars. Apparently it’s up to the doctor whether or not he would need an exam along with the fecal but they’ll probably want an exam since he’s lost weight... So we’ll see how it goes.
    Last edited by RyanLovesSneks24; 06-04-2021 at 01:58 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to RyanLovesSneks24 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (06-04-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RyanLovesSneks24 View Post
    Small update: He’s still losing weight so I am scheduling him a vet appointment to get his feces checked out. The fecal examination is 60+ dollars (no idea why it’s so expensive) and the physical exam is 70+ dollars. Apparently it’s up to the doctor whether or not he would need an exam along with the fecal but they’ll probably want an exam since he’s lost weight... So we’ll see how it goes.
    I'm glad you're taking him in for a check- let us know what the vet finds, okay?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

RyanLovesSneks24 (06-04-2021)

Thanks

That looks more like urates than poop to me.
    Bit worried about the red in it to the right.

Its a bit hard to tell from the picture. But.... I would not worry about the amount of fluid, but if there are any slime balls, that's a bit concerning.
    See the top left flem ball type structures

Get it tested. It looks a little like it could be flagellates. Flagellate parasites are Usually treated with metronidazole. that's a nasty compound that can harm if you do not have the dose right, so get an exact weight of your snake. I am not a vet so get it tested and take the vets advice. But Globular slimy balls are not good news. And the red might be the damage they are creating.
    Again, get the sample analysed. If it is parasitic flagellates, they can kill.

Dont panic, my second choice would be gastroenteritis, but again, I am not a vet. But even a vet cant tell with out samples for analysis. I strongly recommend getting sample anaysys.

Google reactance:
    Flagellates, especially Hexamita spp, have been reported to cause urinary tract disease in chelonians and intestinal disease in snakes. The “Giardia” seen in some cases of enteritis in snakes may actually be Hexamita or one of the relatively nonpathogenic flagellates that inhabit the intestinal tract of snakes
    Last edited by Ascended; 06-04-2021 at 04:23 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    That looks more like urates than poop to me.
    Bit worried about the red in it to the right...
    Agree- not good to see blood in there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12