Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,554

0 members and 1,554 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,529
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

Large branches, rocks & plants for decoration

Hello everyone, newbie question here.....

I just wondered where people normally get their large pieces of wood, rocks & tall plants from that I see in many viv set ups - I've trawled the internet but can only find relatively small stuff for sale in online reptile stores etc?

I'm trying to fill a 86cm (3ft) vivarium to clutter it for our first snake and although we have several hides and a few plants, I really want something to fill the height so looking for branches around 40-50cm long to wedge diagonally for cover and to give the animal somewhere to explore & climb if it wants to.

Any tips or advice very welcome as I'm going round in circles at the moment!

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

Re: Large branches, rocks & plants for decoration

You can try craft stores. Most of the time you can find really nice fake plants for a good price, and sometimes you get lucky and find some really nice logs and branches that you can stick in there for your snake to climb on. Anything you find outside has to be sanitized before you use it, and I would highly recommend doing some research on what trees/plants are safe for a snake, as well as a safe method for sanitizing them. Rocks are easy, check out aquarium stores/websites. I always find the best pieces from there that are meant for aqua-scaping, but I just using them for decor. Just be sure you inspect them for any sharp edges that your snake could cut him/herself on.

Thanks
    I am a big fan of the Fluker's "Repta-Vines". I have a couple in my cage. They are great for creating the mess of clutter ball pythons seem to like.

I'd also recommend looking up an aquarium store. They usually have some pretty solid rocks and branches on sale, and tend to sanitize them well, especially for salt water setups. Reptile conventions are another good place.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,822 Times in 11,841 Posts
    Might check with a plant nursery- some people use driftwood in houseplant arrangements. Or you could always go hiking...I found the best curvy driftwood branch while kayaking the nearest river- about 6.5' long, it sure was awkward dragging it home, lol, but I'm glad I did.

Might get lucky in a thrift store too, you never know.

I'm a BIG fan of wedging a few branches crossways diagonally for my snakes to climb on...fortunately for me they grow on trees around my place. (The branches...not the snakes! )
    When I trim things out of my yard, I keep the best branches back for replacements.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)