Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,337

2 members and 3,335 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,534
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Something Unexpected (image heavy)

Thank you very much for the chart.

Thanks

Thank you so much. I was so nervous but like anything else I just jump head first and just hope for the best.

I am sure anyone in my position would have done the same. I can't see any type of pets hurt.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Starstop For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-25-2020),Luvyna (12-25-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

This picture will be helpful for thermometer probe placement relative to heating elements and thermostats until you can get a temp gun. You’re definitely on the right track and have things set up well for the quick turn around time with acquiring the animal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-25-2020),Hugsplox (12-29-2020),Starstop (12-25-2020)

Thanks

Oh wow thank you so much. I do have the uth and probe as shown in the pic and I do have a thermostat. Her basking one,humidity and the one on her cool side is just lay on top of the substrate. Should all three go under the substrate???

Thank you again for the picture very helpful

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Starstop For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (12-25-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

I’d keep your thermometer and humidity probes where you have them. With a glass enclosure your temps under the substrate directly on the glass are likely very close to the temp set on your thermostat. Always a good idea to double check them from time to time with a temp gun though. You are set up better than 99% of new snake owners we see that join this site with questions about their enclosure arrangements. Don’t hesitate to keep asking questions as they arise though. We’re here to help and knowing what you’ve done so far helps us to help you better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-25-2020),Starstop (12-25-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,825 Times in 11,844 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Starstop View Post
    ...Is her hides to big?? The rock one should I get a smaller one???
    For such a quick unplanned adoption, I think (& as others said also) that you've done VERY well & better than most who actually planned to get a BP & have posted here.

She's eating for you, so I'd hold off on changing things around again right now. She obviously likes her new place- why not, it's far better than what she knew before, and habitat changes are somewhat stressful for snakes, especially since she's new with you. So I'd wait on changing or adding hides yet- & I can't really comment on this hide since I'm not seeing the whole thing (as far as how many openings there are- is it just the 2?) From what I can see, I like it & it appears she does too, in spite of having 2 openings. I also can't tell where it is in relation to the heat- it's always best to have at least 2 hides, one in the cooler part of cage & the other with heat, & you're correct that BPs like them to feel cozy in relation to their size. I think you mentioned there ARE 2 hides? So relax...you're doing great & she looks happy, & she already ATE for you. This calls for a "happy dance".
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (12-25-2020),Luvyna (12-25-2020),Starstop (12-25-2020),Zincubus (12-25-2020)

Thanks

Yeah the big rock looking one has 3 openings one in front one in back and one on top I have thag placed on the heat mat with substrate on it.. the other hide is on the cool side its that moss ball. I have a heat gun coming in the mail so that will help me out.

Thank you all for the help and advice. Merry Christmas!!!

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Starstop For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-25-2020),Zincubus (12-25-2020)

Thanks

I love the set up! She's really lucky to have you.

One small suggestion: I've tried that exact same (fine coconut bark) substrate. I'd recommend going for something else a little less fine. The coconut powder, being a fine powder., can really get compacted in its nose or heat pits, or eaten while feeding. There are chunkier coconut substrates I'd personally feel better about.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to andeal For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-29-2020),Starstop (12-30-2020)

Thanks
    Well, you certainly have it more together than I do!! I’m still working on wading through all of the conflicting information I’ve found. Can I ask you how you insulated the sides and back? Did you find a pretty immediate difference in ambient temp? We are in a very cold climate and honestly, glass was the only availability and I just can’t spring for a fancy plastic vivarium at the moment (or for awhile). Any thoughts on styrofoam sheets (the 1” thick kind)? I am planning on making a cool background with spray foam, etc eventually so I’m thinking its something similar anyways and will also provide some insulation. Anyways, sorry to hijack your thread with my own question! Love your setup and congrats on a new very awesome pet!

Thanks
    Thanked 19,825 Times in 11,844 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FerruleFern View Post
    Well, you certainly have it more together than I do!! I’m still working on wading through all of the conflicting information I’ve found. Can I ask you how you insulated the sides and back? Did you find a pretty immediate difference in ambient temp? We are in a very cold climate and honestly, glass was the only availability and I just can’t spring for a fancy plastic vivarium at the moment (or for awhile). Any thoughts on styrofoam sheets (the 1” thick kind)? I am planning on making a cool background with spray foam, etc eventually so I’m thinking its something similar anyways and will also provide some insulation. Anyways, sorry to hijack your thread with my own question! Love your setup and congrats on a new very awesome pet!
    Hi & . There are many ways to insulate a glass tank, & honestly I prefer glass anyway but that's another subject. (Note, I've kept a number of BPs in the past, but currently keep mostly colubrids.)

There is at least one member that I can recall using thick styrofoam sheets cut to fit, so that's a perfectly good option- lightweight but effective. Sheet cork, or stick-on tiles of cork or carpet also can work, as does corrugated cardboard or foam-center poster boards, but the thicker styrofoam is likely going to give you the highest R-value (best insulation). If you don't like the looks, you could install scenery on the back & sides of the glass first, then you won't even SEE the foam taped behind it.

You can also insulate some or all of the underside of the tank but leave the area open around it IF you're using UTH, & remember to leave some gaps for it to "breathe" safely & for the wire- never leave a tank sitting on a power cord. If you're only using overhead heating devices (like CHE or RHP) then by all means, insulate the floor too. You can also insulate the lower part of the front if you like- maybe about 5" along the bottom- it's all up to you & how much efficiency you need.

The only issue with thick styrofoam is all the little bits when you try to cut it. (use a box cutter or X-acto knife) The foam-core poster boards I mentioned are under .25" thick, but they come in black or white & cut neatly, & you could always do more than one layer- it would look a lot nicer than styrofoam. It's all up to you though- efficiency, cost & hassle are variables.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Hugsplox (12-29-2020),Starstop (12-30-2020)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast