Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,928

2 members and 2,926 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Thanks

Red face Something Unexpected (image heavy)

Happy Holiday's everyone,

This is going to be long and I am sorry for that. 2 weeks ago I got a ball python.

I have a co worker who broke up with her boyfriend about a month or so ago. She then told me about his ball python he left behind
    after texts back and forth he said he didn't want her and that he moved far away. She showed me these texts.
    My co worker then told me after work that day she was going to drive to a wooded area and release her. I almost had a heart attack. I told her that you cant do that we live in New Hampshire we just had snow dump on us. She told me snakes adapt. I told her I would take her. So after work I went to her house and picked her up. I can not see any animals of any kind be treated this way. My cat someone did not want because he was mean (just needed love) my dog because she is to stupid for hunting. So I see this Large snake in this 10 gallon tank with news papers on the bottom and a small dish and a plastic hide thing and medium frozen mice. No temps no nothing. My co worker said she is about 3 years old and is female

I then go to PetSmart its the only thing close to me and ask if they were willing to take her they wont because of covid and illness. At this point I am just going to keep her. With a brochure, cell phone and worker in tow.

I got a 40 gallon reptile tank zoo med, a large rock hid, a big dish, a moss hid, a few plants and Zoo Med Eco Earth Loose Coconut Fiber Substrate. While I was there
    I saw this form and placed an order with amazon for a large under the tank heater, Thermostat for the mat, Zoo Med Labs Digital Thermometer Humidity Gauge, a temp gauge.
    The PetSmart worker took a look at her and said she was over weight which shocked me and I showed her what the women was feeding her the worker told me I should be giving her small rats.

I finally get home set it all up so it took about 3 days to get everything from amazon. I finally got her all set up I have a temp prob on the heat mat which
    is plugged into the thermostat which is set it 90.

I realized my first mistake was the glass tank so last week I set off to home depot for insulation and got Extra Large Marine Roll Closed Cell Neoprene Rubber with Adhesive
    which of course I didn't get enough so I did the back of the tank and the sides. I have a blanket covering the front and top of her tank around her light. The temps right now are at 85 basking spot her heat mat is at 90 and her cool side is 74 her humidity is at 52. She loves laying in that moss ball and loves being on top of the hide rock. She does dig under the Substrate some times but most of the time she is on top of her large rock Or moss ball.

So as of right now I have had her for about 2 weeks. She seems pretty happy and healthy from what I can tell. I did feed her on Saturday and she took the rat like it was nothing. I tried asking my co worker when was the last time she was fed and she said she does not know.
    So I am worried about temp and the feeding any advice would be great I am doing as much research as I can. Please be nice, I just wanted to
    save an animal from being killed or hurt. My vet is willing to see her after the holiday's

Here are some pictures these were taken after I got everything set up. I had not yet got the insulation in these pictures.

Meet Miss Venom

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Starstop For This Useful Post:

Alicia (12-25-2020),Bogertophis (12-24-2020),GoingPostal (12-24-2020),jmcrook (12-24-2020),Luvyna (12-24-2020),Toad37 (12-24-2020),Zincubus (12-24-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Re: Something Unexpected (image heavy)

Good on your for taking that critter in. Seems you did the proper research and are getting things dialed in well. I don’t see that animal as overweight at all. Maybe a bit small for its age but it’ll catch up in time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Starstop (12-25-2020),Zincubus (12-24-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Ditto, thank you for saving this beautiful (not fat!) ball python from total ignorance & certain death; you did a great job & on such short notice for fixing up a nice home for her too.
    I really like that hide- looks like she does too.

We look forward to your updates & any questions you may have.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Starstop (12-25-2020)

Thanks

Thank you both I have been so worried I was doing things wrong. I was worried about the weight thing. Am I feeding her the right size? I fed her on Saturday A small rat. I tried to measure around her belly and all she wanted to do was climb all over me so I just let her be for now.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Starstop View Post
    Thank you both I have been so worried I was doing things wrong. I was worried about the weight thing. Am I feeding her the right size? I fed her on Saturday A small rat. I tried to measure around her belly and all she wanted to do was climb all over me so I just let her be for now.
    It's better to underfeed slightly than to over-feed. Off-hand, I'd say a small rat is just fine, but in a moment, I'll post a chart for you.

This:
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 12-24-2020 at 03:23 PM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (12-24-2020),Starstop (12-24-2020)

Thanks

Thank you very much for the chart.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Something Unexpected (image heavy)

You should be applauded for taking it in and putting your heart and sole into this venture !!

Just a few little things ..

The stat temp of 90F is only a guideline... you really need a digital temp gun ( $9 off eBay /Amazon or at least a digital thermometer with a wired probe ( both ideally) to check what the surface temps REALLY are ..

Also ideally two identical hides ( they like snug fitting ones -not too large ) one at warm end one at cool end ..

A cheap water spray to keep the humidity decent ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Zincubus; 12-24-2020 at 04:22 PM.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-24-2020),Homebody (12-09-2021),Starstop (12-24-2020)

Thanks

I bought a spary bottle and I mist her tank and check on it daily. I do have 3 temp probs in there. One under the tank where her mat is between the glass and mat. I have one sat on top of her basking spot and I have one on her could side.

Should I turn her mat thermostat down I ha e it set to 90 for her mat??? I just ordered the heat gun thank you....

Is her hides to big?? The rock one should I get a smaller one???

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Starstop View Post
    ...Is her hides to big?? The rock one should I get a smaller one???
    For such a quick unplanned adoption, I think (& as others said also) that you've done VERY well & better than most who actually planned to get a BP & have posted here.

She's eating for you, so I'd hold off on changing things around again right now. She obviously likes her new place- why not, it's far better than what she knew before, and habitat changes are somewhat stressful for snakes, especially since she's new with you. So I'd wait on changing or adding hides yet- & I can't really comment on this hide since I'm not seeing the whole thing (as far as how many openings there are- is it just the 2?) From what I can see, I like it & it appears she does too, in spite of having 2 openings. I also can't tell where it is in relation to the heat- it's always best to have at least 2 hides, one in the cooler part of cage & the other with heat, & you're correct that BPs like them to feel cozy in relation to their size. I think you mentioned there ARE 2 hides? So relax...you're doing great & she looks happy, & she already ATE for you. This calls for a "happy dance".

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (12-25-2020),Luvyna (12-25-2020),Starstop (12-25-2020),Zincubus (12-25-2020)

Thanks

Yeah the big rock looking one has 3 openings one in front one in back and one on top I have thag placed on the heat mat with substrate on it.. the other hide is on the cool side its that moss ball. I have a heat gun coming in the mail so that will help me out.

Thank you all for the help and advice. Merry Christmas!!!

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Starstop For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-25-2020),Zincubus (12-25-2020)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast