Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 493

4 members and 489 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.


» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 70,055
Threads: 244,259
Posts: 2,532,241
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, ChandlerPayne
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    10-23-2020
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 1 Post

    Help - BP lost in wall cavity

    I'm looking for help and advice please. Our 4 month baby managed to get under a cupboard and before I could get the cupboard moved ( it was screwed to the wall for safety), he had disappeared. There is a gap at the bottom of the skirting board and he has gone through the gap and into the space between the plaster and the breeze block. This all happened Saturday morning. We have his hide, heat mat, elec blanket, food out at various times and freshened up and water but still no sign of him. I'm past myself. Thanks everyone

  2. #2
    BPnet Veteran ckuhn003's Avatar
    Join Date
    07-18-2017
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    991
    Thanks
    590
    Thanked 666 Times in 395 Posts
    Images: 2

    Re: Help - BP lost in wall cavity

    Quote Originally Posted by ClareJackson View Post
    I'm looking for help and advice please. Our 4 month baby managed to get under a cupboard and before I could get the cupboard moved ( it was screwed to the wall for safety), he had disappeared. There is a gap at the bottom of the skirting board and he has gone through the gap and into the space between the plaster and the breeze block. This all happened Saturday morning. We have his hide, heat mat, elec blanket, food out at various times and freshened up and water but still no sign of him. I'm past myself. Thanks everyone
    Just a suggestion but when it gets dark, can you get out a hair dryer and start heating up a mouse/rat? Maybe the smell will get his attention and he'll start to show himself.
    1.0 Toffino - (Fred)

    1.0 Super Ghost BCI - (Phantom)

    1.0 Boxer - (Cooper)

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to ckuhn003 For This Useful Post:

    Bogertophis (12-22-2020)

  4. #3
    Moderator Bogertophis's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-28-2018
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    12,894
    Thanks
    18,207
    Thanked 10,669 Times in 6,800 Posts

    Re: Help - BP lost in wall cavity

    Quote Originally Posted by ckuhn003 View Post
    Just a suggestion but when it gets dark, can you get out a hair dryer and start heating up a mouse/rat? Maybe the smell will get his attention and he'll start to show himself.
    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    And if that fails, get a live fuzzy or hopper- keep in a small ventilated container & leave it overnight near where he disappeared, again, for the scent. Also leave his cage open & nearby on the floor, with warming mat- maybe you'll get lucky. Unfortunately, I cannot promise, & when snakes get too cold, they get sluggish & sleep- not what BPs are supposed to be doing. These things are best prevented...I've kept snakes for many years, & I can remember being just as unaware of the gaps left under cupboards- the only way you notice is after your snake does.

    I so hope you can get him back out & I doubt that tearing the wall apart is an option. A long time ago, I had an adult bull snake get loose in mid-November & she too headed under kitchen cupboards, where I couldn't get her out; I assumed she was there, by process of elimination, having looked everywhere else. I felt guilty, I worried, but she brumated there for about 6 months just as bull snakes do in the wild- one night in mid-May, there she was, sliding across my kitchen floor, none the worse for wear! Whew! Mistakes happen, I hope that you too get your BP back unharmed.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

  5. #4
    BPnet Lifer Zincubus's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-22-2011
    Posts
    6,360
    Thanks
    2,342
    Thanked 4,218 Times in 2,643 Posts

    Re: Help - BP lost in wall cavity

    Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    And if that fails, get a live fuzzy or hopper- keep in a small ventilated container & leave it overnight near where he disappeared, again, for the scent. Also leave his cage open & nearby on the floor, with warming mat- maybe you'll get lucky. Unfortunately, I cannot promise, & when snakes get too cold, they get sluggish & sleep- not what BPs are supposed to be doing. These things are best prevented...I've kept snakes for many years, & I can remember being just as unaware of the gaps left under cupboards- the only way you notice is after your snake does.

    I so hope you can get him back out & I doubt that tearing the wall apart is an option. A long time ago, I had an adult bull snake get loose in mid-November & she too headed under kitchen cupboards, where I couldn't get her out; I assumed she was there, by process of elimination, having looked everywhere else. I felt guilty, I worried, but she brumated there for about 6 months just as bull snakes do in the wild- one night in mid-May, there she was, sliding across my kitchen floor, none the worse for wear! Whew! Mistakes happen, I hope that you too get your BP back unharmed.
    That may work actually !!

    After many , many years, last week I had another escapee !!

    I had a good look around before work and decided to strip the snake room out to try and find the young Albino Royal .. it was on my mind all day . Thankfully the room temp stays at around 78F so thatís not too bad and then they usually search out any warm spots ... computers or other electrical devices ..

    Anyways , got home , dragged the chair out to make more room ... knelt down and suddenly noticed it curled up on top of the hamster cage !!!



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro




  6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

    Bogertophis (12-23-2020),GoingPostal (01-03-2021),Lady mkrj58 (12-24-2020),Spicey (12-24-2020)

  7. #5
    Moderator Bogertophis's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-28-2018
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    12,894
    Thanks
    18,207
    Thanked 10,669 Times in 6,800 Posts

    Re: Help - BP lost in wall cavity

    Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    ...
    Anyways , got home , dragged the chair out to make more room ... knelt down and suddenly noticed it curled up on top of the hamster cage !!! ...
    And that wasn't a "play date" invitation either... BPs do "like" hamsters!
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 12-23-2020 at 12:24 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

  8. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    07-07-2019
    Posts
    398
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 274 Times in 191 Posts
    Images: 4
    Hi. A general location will help. An the type of construction the house has. As you said plaster, plaster on green board or horse hair plaster an laths?

    Me, borrow or buy a cheap inspection cable type camera. Put it in the hole. If you see the snake get the hole saw out an make a 4" round hole. Grab snake an rinse him off, plaster dust an such.

    Now, to fix the hole. Take a 1x2 an place it in the hole behind the wall. Using drywall screws the right size secure the 1x2. Using pre-mixed drywall compound butter the edges of the hole. Place the round 4" hole back an secure it with screws. Skim coat the edges an let dry. Then skim it again an again, let dry. DO that then lite sand, wipe with damp sponge an the repaint.

    If you don't see the snake with the camera. It's crawl under the house an see if the noodle found a way out.


    I know a guy that used tubing connected to a vacuum to pull a snake out of a wall once or twice.

    Good luck!
    Last edited by 303_enfield; 12-23-2020 at 09:43 PM.

  9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 303_enfield For This Useful Post:

    ballpythonluvr (12-24-2020),Bogertophis (12-23-2020),Hugsplox (12-24-2020),Lady mkrj58 (12-24-2020),Zincubus (12-23-2020)

  10. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    10-23-2020
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 1 Post

    Re: Help - BP lost in wall cavity

    Utter relief, we found him slithering across the living room floor on boxing Day morning at 7am. He appears in good health and was extremely happy to be back in his Viv. Thanks for your advice 😃

  11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ClareJackson For This Useful Post:

    Bogertophis (01-03-2021),GoingPostal (01-03-2021),Zincubus (01-03-2021)

  12. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    10-23-2020
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 3 Times in 1 Post

    Re: Help - BP lost in wall cavity - Found him

    Does anyone know how I add photos please?

    Thanks

  13. #9
    BPnet Lifer Zincubus's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-22-2011
    Posts
    6,360
    Thanks
    2,342
    Thanked 4,218 Times in 2,643 Posts

    Re: Help - BP lost in wall cavity - Found him

    Quote Originally Posted by ClareJackson View Post
    Does anyone know how I add photos please?

    Thanks
    Simplest way I found was to download and use the free version of TapaTalk ..
    Itís fabulous for accessing forums like this plus it has a free one click photo upload option - you just click on the two black triangles icon above the keyboard- shown below




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro




  14. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    07-07-2019
    Posts
    398
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 274 Times in 191 Posts
    Images: 4

    Re: Help - BP lost in wall cavity

    Quote Originally Posted by ClareJackson View Post
    Utter relief, we found him slithering across the living room floor on boxing Day morning at 7am. He appears in good health and was extremely happy to be back in his Viv. Thanks for your advice 😃

    Glad he's home!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.1