Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,998

3 members and 2,995 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Re: Random snake photos thread ...

Baby Cobra hatching out !!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CL4VQWPB...d=x7glva3udw4p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-01-2021),nikkubus (03-02-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Baby Cobra hatching out !!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CL4VQWPB...d=x7glva3udw4p

Are they venomous right out of the egg?

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trinityblood For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-01-2021),nikkubus (03-02-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Trinityblood View Post
    I really don’t know ... presumably if only slightly in comparison ??

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Trinityblood (03-01-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Trinityblood View Post
    Yesssss, you BET they are! The person holding that one is "galactically stupid".

Short version, & you can google Grace Olive Wiley for more info & lots of pics, but many years ago (1883-1948) a woman herpetologist (G.O.W.) made a lifelong habit of free-handling venomous snakes, including king cobras. She mostly got away with it, until a young & newly acquired cobra (that she considered safe to handle*) was able to get just enough of a hold on her finger to envenomate her & shortly thereafter (she put the snake in it's cage & was taken to the hospital) she died.

*Cobras are front-fanged snakes & need to get their mouth around something to envenomate; their fangs are not hinged as rattlesnake fangs are, nor are they as long, but we do know they're "long enough" to be a danger. Ms. Wiley had previously gotten away with holding her hands flat with the young cobras, so they'd strike but bounced off & were unable to get a hold...please don't tempt fate this way! It has been adequately been proven false.

Don't try this at home...or anywhere else!!!

Last edited by Bogertophis; 03-01-2021 at 03:09 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dakski (03-03-2021),HarryTB (03-01-2021),Hugsplox (03-01-2021),nikkubus (03-02-2021),TofuTofuTofu (03-03-2021),Trinityblood (03-01-2021),Zincubus (03-01-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Yesssss, you BET they are! The person holding that one is "galactically stupid".

Short version, & you can google Grace Olive Wiley for more info & lots of pics, but many years ago (1883-1948) a woman herpetologist (G.O.W.) made a lifelong habit of free-handling venomous snakes, including king cobras. She mostly got away with it, until a young & newly acquired cobra (that she considered safe to handle*) was able to get just enough of a hold on her finger to envenomate her & shortly thereafter (she put the snake in it's cage & was taken to the hospital) she died. *Cobras are front-fanged snakes & need to get their mouth around something to envenomate; their fangs are not hinged as rattlesnake fangs are, nor are they as long, but we do know they're "long enough" to be a danger. Ms. Wiley had previously gotten away with holding her hands flat with the young cobras, so they'd strike but bounced off & were unable to get a hold...please don't tempt fate this way! It has been adequately been proven false.

I've never kept hots but I've read that younger snakes especially hatchlings don't do a very good job controlling how much venom they inject either, so if they tag you you're getting a big boy dose. Not sure how true it is, but it was enough to keep me from messing with baby rattlesnakes when I was young.

Thanks

Short version, & you can google Grace Olive Wiley for more info & lots of pics, but many years ago (1883-1948) a woman herpetologist (G.O.W.) made a lifelong habit of free-handling venomous snakes, including king cobras. She mostly got away with it, until a young & newly acquired cobra (that she considered safe to handle*) was able to get just enough of a hold on her finger to envenomate her & shortly thereafter (she put the snake in it's cage & was taken to the hospital) she died. *Cobras are front-fanged snakes & need to get their mouth around something to envenomate; their fangs are not hinged as rattlesnake fangs are, nor are they as long, but we do know they're "long enough" to be a danger. Ms. Wiley had previously gotten away with holding her hands flat with the young cobras, so they'd strike but bounced off & were unable to get a hold...please don't tempt fate this way! It has been adequately been proven false.

The snake is really cool in the vid, but this makes me more nervous for the owner of the hand. Thanks for the info!
    Last edited by Trinityblood; 03-01-2021 at 02:59 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Trinityblood For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-01-2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hugsplox View Post
    I've never kept hots but I've read that younger snakes especially hatchlings don't do a very good job controlling how much venom they inject either, so if they tag you you're getting a big boy dose. Not sure how true it is, but it was enough to keep me from messing with baby rattlesnakes when I was young.
    I've heard the same things, but how true it is, I'm not sure, so I wouldn't rely on that. What I AM sure of is that it's better we don't put that to the test.

Even a tiny amount of venom would NOT be fun! A tiny amount from a rattlesnake could be very painful (from tissue swelling & complications), land you in the hospital, cause loss of tissue (-got any that you wouldn't mind losing? ), loss of function (!) and depending on the rattlesnake & the circumstances, might even kill you (some have more neurotoxic components than others). Just a tiny amount from a cobra can KILL you- their neurotoxic venom stops your breathing & heart muscles. There's no such thing as a good venomous bite, IMO.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dakski (03-03-2021),Hugsplox (03-01-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

I've heard the same things, but how true it is, I'm not sure, so I wouldn't rely on that. What I AM sure of is that it's better we don't put that to the test.

Even a tiny amount of venom would NOT be fun! A tiny amount from a rattlesnake could be very painful (from tissue swelling & complications), land you in the hospital, cause loss of tissue (-got any that you wouldn't mind losing? ), loss of function (!) and depending on the rattlesnake & the circumstances, might even kill you (some have more neurotoxic components than others). Just a tiny amount from a cobra can KILL you- their neurotoxic venom stops your breathing & heart muscles. There's no such thing as a good venomous bite, IMO.
    Oh absolutely, I just meant I think some people think the babies are harmless or something so they can not respect them they same way they do an adult which is not the case obviously. I'll be staying a safe viewing distance away from anything that can rot my skin off if that's cool with everyone

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hugsplox View Post
    Oh absolutely, I just meant I think some people think the babies are harmless or something so they can not respect them they same way they do an adult which is not the case obviously. I'll be staying a safe viewing distance away from anything that can rot my skin off if that's cool with everyone
    Yup, that's plenty cool...

Thanks

Another baby Coba clip .,

https://www.instagram.com/p/CL7i9wyn...=1w95mu2e145ww

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (03-03-2021),nikkubus (03-03-2021),Trinityblood (03-03-2021)

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast