Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,840

0 members and 2,840 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Thanks

Re: What are You Doing for the Holidays?

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Sooo to the new Covid variant which is 70% more virulent.. causing a massive rise in infections in London this week .. yesterday London was put in total lockdown with zero travelling ...
    Almost immediately tens of thousands of people fled the city spreading the new strain all over the country

All aware that 60% of all current cases
    1200 miles of traffic jams - going out of London last night .. knowing that 60% of all the new cases in London are the NEW virulent strain !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It's an island, close the borders. Not hard to contain. Besides, what exactly does "more virulent" mean? It's easier to catch? Maybe a 2% death rate? I have a feeling that this new thing is not Covid at all; it's the super-flu that has been brewing ever since people started over-using hand sanitizer instead of soap and water. THAT is scary.
    "Something Clever"

1.0 Paradox Albino KSB - Spotticus
    0.1 Dutch Rabbit - Wendy

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Spicey For This Useful Post:

Kam (12-20-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Spicey View Post
    Just what I would have done this year in any case. I may make cookies because I am losing my mind with boredom, but otherwise it's the same-old same-old.
    Perhaps you should change it up a bit this year and try a different recipe, or even try baking something other than cookies. My go-to has been artisan breads with different nut or spice blends added.

Just don't make fruit cake, there are already too many in the world. I swear they don't get eaten, just regifted each year.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-21-2020),Hugsplox (12-21-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

It's an island, close the borders. Not hard to contain. Besides, what exactly does "more virulent" mean? It's easier to catch? Maybe a 2% death rate? I have a feeling that this new thing is not Covid at all; it's the super-flu that has been brewing ever since people started over-using hand sanitizer instead of soap and water. THAT is scary.
    They’re using virulent to explain that it’s a strain that spreads 70% FASTER than the old original strain. ..

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-21-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Remember when this virus first came to light in Wuhan ... our government was adamant that we the world should contain it in China ... then within a couple of weeks we were shipping and flying in thousands of British citizens from China !!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    Perhaps you should change it up a bit this year and try a different recipe, or even try baking something other than cookies. My go-to has been artisan breads with different nut or spice blends added.

Just don't make fruit cake, there are already too many in the world. I swear they don't get eaten, just regifted each year.
    So two things, I'd love to hear more about this artisan bread, and secondly, thank you for doing the right thing and advocating against fruit cake

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-21-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,813 Times in 492 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hugsplox View Post
    So two things, I'd love to hear more about this artisan bread, and secondly, thank you for doing the right thing and advocating against fruit cake
    If you happen to have a cast-iron skillet hanging around, I'd suggest looking into skillet cakes as well. There's a ton of fun recipes out there! I made a cranberry-walnut skillet cake on Thanksgiving that was absolutely delicious, though I'd probably cut back on the amount of sugar I'd add to it next time. My sweet tooth isn't as strong as it used to be and a cup of sugar to a cup of flour is waaaay too much!

I'm planning on making a Tunisian-style orange olive oil cake this week. I may or may not make a citrus-ricotta pound cake and/or cranberry-orange-walnut skillet cake as well. One can only eat so many baked goods!
    0.1 Sonoran Boa sigma​: "Adelita" ('19 Hypo het. leopard)
    1.0 Boa imperator longicauda: "Kuzco" ('19 het. anery)
    0.1 West Papuan Morelia spilota​: "Pandora" ('20)

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WrongPython For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-21-2020),Hugsplox (12-21-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

They’re using virulent to explain that it’s a strain that spreads 70% FASTER than the old original strain. ..

"At least" it's not more deadly (it's apparently the same) but just spreads so much faster/easier. I have a feeling that may be what's going on in some other places where the cases are rising so abruptly & out of control- it's just that we haven't identified it yet.

Anyway, what IS DEADLY is having our hospitals overwhelmed with cases to the point they run out of ICU space, & what ELSE is deadly is losing doctors & nurses from all their cumulative exposures while caring for others. What else is deadly is if too many of our "essential workers" are home sick & unable to work. Think supply chain for food & utilities, for example.

Everyone: please don't forget that other diseases & accidents & medical/surgical needs don't stop just because we're having a pandemic- if our health care system is overwhelmed, we can die from most anything if we can't get help- it's not only "the virus" that's lethal now. Please let's all do our part to mask & distance...please don't underestimate this, take it very seriously.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (12-21-2020),Kam (12-21-2020),Zincubus (12-21-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WrongPython View Post
    I'm planning on making a Tunisian-style orange olive oil cake this week. I may or may not make a citrus-ricotta pound cake and/or cranberry-orange-walnut skillet cake as well. One can only eat so many baked goods!
    I need you to stop talking to me while I wipe the drool off my face thanks

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-21-2020),WrongPython (12-21-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hugsplox View Post
    Just do a Google search on no-knead artisan bread. The recipe is very basic: Flour, Water, Yeast, Salt. Long rise, dump the dough into a preheated crock, and bake.

After you make a loaf or three using the instructions as written, start making substitutions or small additions. As an example, I substituted half the white flour for whole wheat or rye flour and added honey, or I added garlic powder and Italian spices, pine nuts, sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds, etc.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-21-2020),Hugsplox (12-21-2020),WrongPython (12-21-2020)

Registered User Reptile$ 4 Life's Avatar
    Thanks

Well .. here in the UK we are mostly all in total lockdown apart from Christmas Day !!

All due to a new variant strain of Covid !!

70% more virulent they’ve known about it since mid September but told us all about it today because if suddenly went crazy in London last week ..

To be honest I saw this coming. COVID is a virus and like the flu it is going to mutate. The government should have told he people and gotten on top of things more quickly. Instead they keep saying wash your hands and use hand sanitizer, which might get some of it off but it won't actually "kill" it as it is not alive and most soaps and hand sanitizers are antibacterial and do nothing against viruses.
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (Flicker)
    1.2 Southern Alligator Liazrds (Wraith, Magma & Annie)
    0.1 Western Skink (Stella)
    1.1 Leopard Geckos (Leo & Jade)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234