Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,986

0 members and 1,986 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,787 Times in 11,824 Posts

Re: Brooks Kingsnake strange digestion and behavior? (diarrhea and biting himself)

Quote Originally Posted by mopuim View Post
    So if I did get a CHE or a DHP, would I have it with the heat mat (regulated with a thermostat of course)? Would I have to hang either by something or would they just sit on top of the screen?

Also the light that comes through my window does provide a good amount of natural light.
    FYI, I've been at this a long time & tend to be "old school"- still using UTH for example. We members here don't all use the same things nor do things exactly the same way- but we can share what we do & know, & let YOU decide what's best in your situation. To that end, I was just looking up the DHP- something I've never used, but it looks interesting for sure. Check it out & watch their video below. BTW, Reptile Basics is one of several good sources of equipment, another is the Bean Farm- yes, you read that right, lol. https://www.beanfarm.com/

https://www.reptilebasics.com/heat-e...20heat%20lamps.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 12-18-2020 at 03:15 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Hugsplox (12-18-2020),mopuim (12-18-2020)

Thanks

Re: Brooks Kingsnake strange digestion and behavior? (diarrhea and biting himself)

So I put one of the thermometers straight under the the lamp on the surface of the bedding, and it is slightly above 80 (about 82).

The temperature inside his little cave over the heat source is about 85 (probably because of the thick layer of substrate). He has one of those caves that you can take the top off, and it is a little bit lower than ground level (dug a little bit into the substrate). If that is too hot, I could always just put the hide on top.

The temp of the heat mat was slightly above 100F . I tested it by taping the thermometer to the heat mat because I don't really know a more efficient way of doing that.

I was aware that both were not necessary, but I just had worries. I like the sound of the CHE or the DHP that seem to penetrate a little more with heat. If I do have one of those plus the UTH, would it get too hot or would I just regulate it with the thermostat? I also watched the video for the deep heat projector, and it does seem pretty good. I really like those bulb guard cage that keep the heater from just sitting on the top of the screen (I know they have them in general, but I have never got one). I do have one of those black lamp cover things, so would I just need the bulb (for ceramic)? Also, what is the difference between a regular bulb and a ceramic bulb thing? (Sorry for so many questions )
    - Kaylee

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

I really like those bulb guard cage that keep the heater from just sitting on the top of the screen (I know they have them in general, but I have never got one). I do have one of those black lamp cover things, so would I just need the bulb (for ceramic)? Also, what is the difference between a regular bulb and a ceramic bulb thing? (Sorry for so many questions )
    I apologize if I misunderstand your question, but if you're asking about the difference between a regular old heat bulb and a ceramic heat emitter, the regular bulbs obviously produce light while the ceramic does not. That's the big benefit of the CHE is that you have a heat source that you can leave on 24/ (controlled by a thermostat of course) and it won't interfere with your snake's day/night cycle. Again though, I don't keep kings, so I don't want to give you husbandry advice, I just wanted to try to help explain the equipment portion.

And don't apologize for asking question, this forum is fantastic and it's a excellent source of information. Like Bogertophis said though, not everyone here keeps their animals the same, so it's up to you to explore the options available and find what works best for you and your animal.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

mopuim (12-18-2020)

Thanks

The main reason I got the mat was because I was scared he got too cold at night, and a CHE would fix that problem without being a disturbance to my sleep. It sounds pretty efficient to me, but I am not sure that if I relied on CHE, I would need a heat mat as well (or have both but well regulated). I see a thermostat as a necessity, so I will get on that. I really appreciate all of the potential options given, and I will try to see what will fit my needs and what is best for my snakes.
    - Kaylee

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

It depends on your room, like what some of the other guys have said, just depends on what works for you. I have a ball python and leopard geckos, which obviously require different temps than a king, but I use both with them because my reptile room will drop into the low 70s at night, UTHs just give me that extra layer of.. I guess peace of mind that there's a warm spot in there that they can go if they need to. Plus if one heat sources goes out during the night I have a second running to they don't get too cold.

This mixed with good thermostats that turn off if something happens to prevent overheating, vs failing wide open, doesn't 100% eliminate any worry I have for my crew, but it makes it where if I wanted to stay gone overnight for some reason I wouldn't stress too much about how my pets are doing.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-18-2020),mopuim (12-18-2020)

Thanks

The main reason I got the mat was because I was scared he got too cold at night, and a CHE would fix that problem without being a disturbance to my sleep. It sounds pretty efficient to me, but I am not sure that if I relied on CHE, I would need a heat mat as well (or have both but well regulated). I see a thermostat as a necessity, so I will get on that. I really appreciate all of the potential options given, and I will try to see what will fit my needs and what is best for my snakes.

We can't really answer that- is his tank near the floor or higher up. Even with your room/home set to 74*, it's chillier near the floor. Only YOU can take the temps. IN the tank where it matters.
    And btw, king snakes are more resilient that your boa, but then again, your king isn't quite well either, so that's a consideration too. If he is fighting off a virus, you don't want him chilled either.

You also want to double check the temps over UTH, not just on the substrate, but push the substrate back (as your snake might) & make SURE he cannot be injured by excessive surface temperatures. I've never had that problem with any of my regulated UTHs, & also, colubrids are less likely to sit there cluelessly too long the way BPs might- I think because BPs are heavy-bodied & it takes a while for the excessive heat to really "register" with them, & by then, it can be too late.

With the DHP, I'm NOT sure how much heat that puts in the tank, or if it's just heating up the reptile, which is how they make it sound? So ask the sources who sell them, if no one here knows for sure. So far I've not heard of anyone using them, but maybe bcr229 does, as she brought it up? In general, heat from above isn't as efficient as from underneath, since heat rises, but don't think I'm not open to the new technology- I'm glad to see more options, actually- reptiles in nature do bask, & the sun is overhead, after all, heating from above as well as the ground surfaces.

Bottom line, any of these things can be adjusted to work for you & your snakes as well as your budget (most everyone has a budget too)- but heed the warning to regulate whatever you're using- that's important. Apart from that, you seem quite capable of making good choices & proper adjustments- I have faith in you, & I don't often say that, lol, but you've shown a serious interest.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

mopuim (12-18-2020)

Thanks

So I just dug up the thermometer I buried under his cave on the warm side over the heat mat, and it said 110F . He usually doesn't burrow over there, but I am definitely getting a thermostat for that, because that seems far too hot.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    - Kaylee

Thanks

So I just dug up the thermometer I buried under his cave on the warm side over the heat mat, and it said 110F . He usually doesn't burrow over there, but I am definitely getting a thermostat for that, because that seems far too hot.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    And that's exactly why we "nag" around here. That's way too hot. You cannot leave it like that- unplug it & fix (regulate it) A.S.A.P.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

mopuim (12-19-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    With the DHP, I'm NOT sure how much heat that puts in the tank, or if it's just heating up the reptile, which is how they make it sound? So ask the sources who sell them, if no one here knows for sure. So far I've not heard of anyone using them, but maybe bcr229 does, as she brought it up?
    I use a DHP for my carpet python. It's mounted so the heat lamp housing is about 10 inches above the plexiglass top of his enclosure. The IR radiation penetrates the plexi rather well, so it heats up his driftwood "jungle gym" under it quite nicely. Being a semi-arboreal critter, he likes to perch there while digesting, and the heat that radiates from the driftwood helps with the ambient temp in the enclosure. I think CHE's work the same way.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-19-2020),mopuim (12-19-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    I use a DHP for my carpet python. It's mounted so the heat lamp housing is about 10 inches above the plexiglass top of his enclosure. The IR radiation penetrates the plexi rather well, so it heats up his driftwood "jungle gym" under it quite nicely. Being a semi-arboreal critter, he likes to perch there while digesting, and the heat that radiates from the driftwood helps with the ambient temp in the enclosure. I think CHE's work the same way.
    Thanks. I suspect my spotted python (& some others) would enjoy the DHP- I may have to try one.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

mopuim (12-19-2020)

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast