Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,732

3 members and 2,729 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts
    So how'd it go this morning? Find out anything, or still waiting for tests? Did he have to "stay over"?
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

mopuim (12-17-2020)

Thanks

Smile Re: Brooks Kingsnake strange digestion and behavior? (diarrhea and biting himself)

UPDATE:

I was very happy with my latest vet appointment. There was a lot more communication and a lot was learned about his health.

It seems to be more of a chronic infection (lower-grade) from the bacteria he was previously diagnosed with. It appears that something is still fighting back in his body. Our vet discussed with other exotic pet vets and a few have seen similar symptoms and occurrences. The tail biting might be a pain response, and the twisting and strangling episodes could also be from infection. He did have one slight episode there where he knotted himself but didn't bite, and he got out of it and was normal after that. The vet also suggested that maybe he could start eating large rat pups instead of large mice, or give him two mice in one feeding (which he eats pretty quickly).

He did get an x-ray and some blood tests and received the following results:

X-Rays - Everything seemed fine: could see bones from his last meal, minimal to no gas, no obstruction or other masses, normal heart size, nice and clear lungs, and no signs of arthritis or bone issues.

Blood Tests - His white blood cell could was slightly elevated. He is not anemic or anything either.

He did pass stool there, but a fecal exam wasn't needed. There were also no other tests that needed to be sent to a lab (such as neurological diseases).

He was given another bottle of his previous oral antibiotics (which was 0.15mls), but now it lasts a month long and gets 0.05mls every other day to not stress him out. I gave him his first dose just now. He goes back in a month for a checkup.

Side Note: My snake is very adamant about keeping his jaw shut when I try to open his mouth (takes about 10 minutes or so). I have previously tried to enter the syringe from the side and move closer to the front, but I am afraid I will hurt his teeth or gums. There was a tiny bit of blood too from his irritated gums, so I am afraid to continue doing it that way. I did later get a very thin (and cleaned) paintbrush, and he opened up not too long after. Does anyone know a more efficient way of doing this? The paintbrush method seems pretty good for now, and he opened up much faster without bothering him too much.

Right now he is just exploring in his tank. Hoping the best for him!
    - Kaylee

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mopuim For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-17-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts

Re: Brooks Kingsnake strange digestion and behavior? (diarrhea and biting himself)

I can't believe no one has mentioned this yet - are your heat mat and heat lamp regulated by a thermostat? Overheating can cause neuro issues.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-17-2020),jmcrook (12-17-2020),mopuim (12-17-2020)

Thanks

Re: Brooks Kingsnake strange digestion and behavior? (diarrhea and biting himself)

I was also thinking of heat as a problem, but it never occured to me as a potential neurological threat.

Neither the heat mat or the 50w lamp have a thermostat. I do have thermometers on both ends of the cage, but they are high up (i'm not sure how much a difference that makes or which placement is more efficient). He doesn't seem to stay on the cold side or spend a lot of time at his water bowl. In fact, he likes to spend time in his little cave that is over the heat mat, especially after eating. He does spend time in both hides though.

Should I get a thermostat for all my heating devices? Should I have both a 50w lamp (only during the day) and a heat mat, or is that too much? I originally got him the heat mat because I was scared he was too cold at night. He was using a 150w lamp at first when he didn't have the heat mat.

Thanks for the concern!
    - Kaylee

Thanks
    Unregulated a heat mat can get hot enough to burn and kill your snake so yes, it needs a thermostat. You need a temperature gun or IR point thermometer to read the surface temperature of the glass over top of the heat mat.

Neuro issues are one symptom of brain damage from being overheated.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

mopuim (12-17-2020)

Thanks

Ok, I will look into it. Do I need a single thermostat for each heat source or is there some way to connect them all to one? I also keep the heat mat under the glass if that makes any difference, and he doesn't burrow much.
    - Kaylee

Thanks
    Each heat source should be regulated by a thermostat. Some higher-end thermostats can regulate multiple heat sources.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

mopuim (12-17-2020)

Thanks

Should I have multiple heat sources such as the 50w bulb and the heat mat, or just 1? I have a boa who uses a heat mat alone and has a light that barely gives off heat, but this is just for day and night cycles I guess.
    - Kaylee

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts
    It would help to know a lot more about your set-up- this is a glass tank? what size (dimensions L x W x height)? What are the temperatures inside...the coolest end, the warmest end, & overall "ambient" air temp? King snakes don't need a basking spot per se- if your room is cold, some extra overhead warmth from a light or CHE can be helpful, but keep in mind that a king snake doesn't need temps. as warm as BPs. The warmest part should be 85-88*, the cool end can be 70-75*, & at night, the tank can drop to 65-70** as long as the day temps. are up where they should be. King snakes are burrowers, I much prefer using UTH for them as I do for all my snakes, plus supplemental overhead light/heat as needed. (FYI, my home thermostat is set to 70* though- not everyone's is.)

It does sound to me like you may been overheating him- unless your tank is really large &/or deep, overhead wattage can really overheat it quickly. Personally I prefer lights to just be on rheostats (lamp dimmers) because I dim them way down & have done this for years (& watch temperatures), & never would I use 150 watts! My largest tanks have 40-50 watts dimmed way down (& adjusted as needed). Snakes ALWAYS NEED at least half the cage with little or no heat so they can safely get away from excessive warmth. You should have all heat mats regulated by thermostats for sure.

Normal room light is enough for either of your snakes to have a "photoperiod"- they don't appreciate bright lights either.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 12-17-2020 at 11:49 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

mopuim (12-18-2020)

Thanks

He lives in a 40 gallon breeder (36x18x16). My house temp is usually at 74, but it's been colder because the temperatures outside have been colder. My thermometers are kind of trash and both sides say pretty much the same thing. I do have the fan on at night, so I don't know how much that affects anything. I do have the thermometers higher up and not on his ground level, and has a full 24 qt bag of aspen in there. He used to love to burrow, but he has stopped recently. When he got on the antibiotics, he did start burrowing again, but I don't know if that was his way of hiding or what.

His lamp turns on and off at 9, and right now both sides say 70-75 ish, but they are high up and might be inaccurate. I do keep his water on the cool side with no heat and his warm side on the opposite side. Do you think I should just have a UTH (and a non heating light)? I feel so irresponsible that I haven't heard much about reptile thermostats before, and that I might be putting him in danger.

I've also heard that some snakes could bite themselves when they are hot. When I take him out, he usually feels normal (a little cool) or slightly warm when he is over his warm spot. He doesn't show any signs that he is trying to escape from the heat. The biting could be because of infection, but I just want to make sure I am doing whatever's best to keep him healthy and happy.

(Also, is there any specific brands that are more efficient than others?)
    Last edited by mopuim; 12-18-2020 at 12:22 AM.
    - Kaylee

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast