Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,966

0 members and 2,966 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts

Re: Brooks Kingsnake strange digestion and behavior? (diarrhea and biting himself)

Quote Originally Posted by Gocntry View Post
    Totally understand that, having a living critters life in your hands is a big responsibility, If one of my snakes died under my care That would be a crushing blow.
    For sure. All we can do is the best we can with whatever information & resources we have to work with. Like all living creatures, sooner or later, snakes get sick & die- but as with ourselves, it's all about the "delay" & having the best life possible in the meantime.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Gocntry (12-16-2020),mopuim (12-16-2020)

Thanks

Re: Brooks Kingsnake strange digestion and behavior? (diarrhea and biting himself)

Quote Originally Posted by mopuim View Post
    The antibiotics seemed to make him better for a little bit, so I don't know what that means exactly. We might go to the vet tomorrow morning (hoping he passes stool). Those suggestions the vet gave seemed to need further investigation on his health, and I hope to have a more in depth conversation with them. They might want to perform an x-ray, but would that do any good and what could it show? Impaction does not really match his symptoms, but as I have noticed quite recently, his cloaca seems to be swelling a little bit and protruding more than normal (where usually he's just flat). He also eats fine and passes stool as explained before.

I will ask about the variety of treatments and hopefully they can find something appropriate for him. I am all for a slow process if it is necessary.
    X-rays are only as good as the equipment & especially, the interpreter- but worth a look perhaps. As far as his cloacal swelling- how many days since they did the cloacal wash? They might have irritated or even infected his cloaca with the procedure. Not all vets have the gentlest touch, just saying. I truly hope you get some helpful answers & his full recovery.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

mopuim (12-17-2020)

Thanks
    How's he doing?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

mopuim (12-17-2020)

Thanks

He's sleeping in his little cave above his heat mat which is good. We are going to the vet tomorrow and we talked to them more about his condition. They do not think it is a parasite because it did not show up on the tests prior, but said we could do another just as a precaution. They said that they have also seen numerous cases of high parasite burden on snakes and that mine does not match the symptoms.

They talked about the initial concern with the ingested bedding from the first visit and said that it could have caused intestinal lesions and pain. The type of bacteria he had in his system was Klebsiella and the antibiotics given were susceptible to the bacteria.

He was very adamant about keeping his jaw locked and I was afraid to do him any harm while he was on antibiotics. We did need to hold him still, but he never tried to bite. I made sure to do it around 12 pm every other day to keep him on schedule.

Another possible cause could be something neurological. It could be a virus (which includes nidovirus, arenavirus, and paramyxovirus) they said, and they do have a panel that can be submitted for these. They suggest I should get him tested for these 3 viruses and possibly restart an antibiotic while we wait for results which is about 2-3 business days. Also about the antibiotics, I think they did show some sort of good because he started acting more normal, even burrowing like he used to. He waited longer to pass stool and it had more form and color. One of the biggest things is that he started to shed a few days after taking the antibiotics. Before that, he hadn't shed in like 3 or so months I am pretty sure. I don't know how much that has to do with it, but he usually shed every month prior to all of this.

Beside this, he is going to be checked out by the vet in person. We might need an x-ray and need to pay for those 3 tests, which I have no idea of the cost. I am crossing my fingers that something good will come from this.

(Also, he doesn't start acting erratic until after he passes stool, which he hasn't done yet. He also tends to act like this around 10pm-12am at night, but I am usually awake at this time.)

I am also worried about why he could have strangled himself like that. Is there a possibility that he was in so much pain that he couldn't handle it? I know that it is unlikely to be purposeful in that way, but I am just worried.
    - Kaylee

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mopuim For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-16-2020)

Thanks
    I'm so glad you're pushing them for more answers & possible causes for his symptoms. I'm not a vet nor am I seeing him in person, I've only tried to share some of my experience in case it's relevant- maybe it's not, & I hold out hope on your behalf that this vet can get him healthy again.

I know how disturbing it is to see a snake biting themselves frantically- & yes, it suggests there is internal pain & discomfort of some kind- they're trying in the only way they can to get to the source of it. I agree that a virus could also be the cause- in fact snakes can get cancer & all sorts of other things, just like other animals including us- & it can be so frustrating to diagnose them sometimes- they're pretty stoic. The ingestion of sharp or any undigestible substrate is another potential cause- I sure hope they don't need to do surgery.

It really helps that you're taking an active interest- too many owners don't, & your observations can truly help the vet diagnose & heal your snake. In fact, make notes of anything significant you see going on- you might see something they don't; & save questions you may have.

Truly hoping for the best for your buddy, I know how upsetting this is. You know, I've taken care of my share of sick snakes over the years (including plenty of successful tube-feedings) & I've never had a snake bite me for even the most unpleasant procedures (not even for injections)- it's like they somehow understand we're trying to help them, which most people believe is not possible, but anyway, that's been my experience too. I hope he keeps digesting calmly tonight & lets you sleep too. Good luck tomorrow- sure hope they figure this out.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

mopuim (12-17-2020)

Thanks

Thank you, and I have learned a lot from this thread. Even though I may not know what is wrong with him now, I feel like I understand snakes like him more, so that makes me happy. I do really appreciate you and other sharing your experiences, because at the end of the day we are all pet owners who have gone through things others may have not, and communicating these experiences really helps. I really hope it is something fixable, but I still have to be realistic and consider all of the possibilities. I will make sure to have my observations and questions ready to tell the vet and hopefully I won't miss anything. I was thinking of bringing them some printed pictures that have concerned me just in case. It probably would be best to send it to them via text/email for clearer images.

I really REALLY appreciate all of your help and you sharing your observations/experiences. We are going to go real early in the morning, and I am not sure if he will pass stool by then, but it is not the end of the world. We could always bring in a fecal sample another day.
    - Kaylee

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mopuim For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-17-2020)

Thanks
    Or he might let some go while you're there- handling & travel tends to do that (ahem!).

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

mopuim (12-17-2020)

Thanks
    Or you can put on your best blouse that's only dry cleanable, that usually "inspires" snakes too...

(And yes, sharing our experiences here can help us all take the best care of our snakes, as none of us sees all the same issues. So we appreciate you too, for making this thread.)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

mopuim (12-17-2020)

Thanks

When he goes on a car trip, he usually does fine. I just bring a small towel to cover the sides of his container so he feels more secure. This helps him stay calm. (I will bring plastic bags or something of the sort in case he does pass stool)
    - Kaylee

Thanks
    For travel, I usually secure snakes in a cloth "snake bag" (or old pillowcase) & then place that in an "ice chest" (or thick styro-foam box, the kind that perishable food or live snakes are air-shipped in) for travel, as this helps protect them from unnecessary temperature swings, either too hot or too cold. It's for their safety too, just in case you have car trouble & get delayed (like if the heat or A/C can't be used). I always do it this way- for short trips (like to the vet or for snake programs) or when I moved across country- it's for their safety. Just a suggestion.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

mopuim (12-17-2020)

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast