Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,295

0 members and 2,295 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,787 Times in 11,824 Posts

Re: Brooks Kingsnake strange digestion and behavior? (diarrhea and biting himself)

Quote Originally Posted by mopuim View Post
    yeah im going to feed him ive never seen anything like this but hes acting semi normal now just exploring in his feeding cage
    It sounds to me like he has pain, on & off, & the only way he can deal with it is to bite at himself. Internal parasites (worms) can migrate through a snake's body, & get into organs, causing them to fail. Even into heart & lungs. They wouldn't show up on x-rays either. I wish there was some better explanation I could think of, that it could be...???

There's nothing worse than watching a pet (or person, for that matter) that you care about that's suffering & needing help- but there's only so much you can do.
    I hope a feeding helps for now.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 12-16-2020 at 02:15 AM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

mopuim (12-16-2020)

Thanks

Re: Brooks Kingsnake strange digestion and behavior? (diarrhea and biting himself)

i know there isn't much anyone can do but thank you for replying to this thread today. I don't know what made me create an account this very day and something like this happens. I am going to call the vet tomorrow when they open and maybe see to an emergency visit. The vet I go to has an emergency 24 hour thing and if you have an emergency the doctor can come in after hours. The emergency visits are more expensive but i don't care at this point. I was wondering if I should maybe wait until he poops so I can have a fecal sample just incase the cloacal wash is any different. I don't know if anything neurologically wrong is going on despite his bacterial infection. Thanks again! I am about to feed him so hopefully this helps.

Thanks

i know there isn't much anyone can do but thank you for replying to this thread today. I don't know what made me create an account this very day and something like this happens. I am going to call the vet tomorrow when they open and maybe see to an emergency visit. The vet I go to has an emergency 24 hour thing and if you have an emergency the doctor can come in after hours. The emergency visits are more expensive but i don't care at this point. I was wondering if I should maybe wait until he poops so I can have a fecal sample just incase the cloacal wash is any different. I don't know if anything neurologically wrong is going on despite his bacterial infection. Thanks again! I am about to feed him so hopefully this helps.
    I'm glad you joined us, & I sure hope you can get him the right kind of help- I'm not sure about the fecal sample but I suspect the cloacal wash is less effective for something like parasites, so you might just wait & see how he is in the morning after eating...I do think a fecal sample (fresh) would help, & might be worth waiting for, especially since his digestion is pretty fast. Always better if you don't need to do an emergency visit too.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

mopuim (12-16-2020)

Thanks
    BTW, you mentioned him biting his tail & bleeding- it's not the main concern, but fyi, there are several things you can use as antiseptic on any wounds like that: Vetericyn ointment is water-based & made for use on snakes & such. You can instead use a little Neosporin -as long as it's NOT the "pain relief version"- but it's petroleum jelly based, & can cause shedding problems, so don't use much if you do. Or a little Betadine topically (aka povidone-iodine is the generic name) is ok too.

Has he settled down?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

mopuim (12-16-2020)

Thanks

Yes, he ate fine and almost immediately as I opened the hatch of his feeding container, like he was hungry. I let him sit for a little bit in the container and I just moved him back to his tank. He seems calmer and hopefully will rest or something. He's also moving slower and just exploring. I keep checking on him like every few minutes, but I really need to sleep.

About the cuts, they're not my greatest concern. None of the cuts he has had in the past have got infected and they seemed to heal fine, but I wash them with a little warm water and keep an eye on it. I am more concerned on why he is doing it, and hopefully calling the vet can help in any way. He's got a heat pad for digesting, so hopefully he decides to chill there. I'm just hoping for the best.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mopuim For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-16-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Yes, he ate fine and almost immediately as I opened the hatch of his feeding container, like he was hungry. I let him sit for a little bit in the container and I just moved him back to his tank. He seems calmer and hopefully will rest or something. He's also moving slower and just exploring. I keep checking on him like every few minutes, but I really need to sleep.

About the cuts, they're not my greatest concern. None of the cuts he has had in the past have got infected and they seemed to heal fine, but I wash them with a little warm water and keep an eye on it. I am more concerned on why he is doing it, and hopefully calling the vet can help in any way. He's got a heat pad for digesting, so hopefully he decides to chill there. I'm just hoping for the best.
    Am I correct in thinking you’re feeding in a separate container then putting it back into viv ??

I think it’s generally accepted that you should only feed in their vivs/tubs it’s far easier AND safer ( for you ) plus you’re not moving a snake around AFTER it’s just eaten .

I’d never even try it with my King snakes and can’t imagine the fun and games you’d have feeding a 13’ reticulated python in a separate container !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-16-2020),mopuim (12-16-2020)

Thanks

Yes, I do feed him in a separate plastic container. He eats fairly quickly but I let him sit in there a little longer just in case. My vet also suggested that leaving him in there 30 minutes or so more will maybe be better for his aspen ingesting (although he doesn't do it a lot). He's also pretty small at about 3-4 feet long, and when I transfer him back to his tank, I make sure to hold his whole body in a natural position so it doesn't mess with his digestion. I haven't had any problems with that as far as I know, and I didn't want him to ingest bedding or expect food every time I open the tank. He is very docile and sweet, and hardly bites even though he is not feeling good. I am going to call my vet once they open and see what they say.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to mopuim For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-16-2020)

Thanks

Just an update, I called the vet and told them what is going on. They suggested these options:

-bring him in today to get him re-examined
    -get him some new antibiotics that would be administered twice a day
    -get a refill on his old medicine

I forgot to mention the possibility of parasites, but I might call back later with more questions.
    Also, I would like to bring in a fecal example just in case it is any different from a cloacal wash.
    Right now, he's just resting in his little cave.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to mopuim For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-16-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Am I correct in thinking you’re feeding in a separate container then putting it back into viv ??

I think it’s generally accepted that you should only feed in their vivs/tubs it’s far easier AND safer ( for you ) plus you’re not moving a snake around AFTER it’s just eaten .

I’d never even try it with my King snakes and can’t imagine the fun and games you’d have feeding a 13’ reticulated python in a separate container !!

I'm in agreement with this- best to only feed in a snake's own cage...not that the move will deter most king snakes from eating but better for you, not getting bit while handling him. But some snakes are much better than others about recognizing their owners & since this is apparently a "routine" he knows, I see no harm. To prevent a snake from ingesting substrate, it's just easier to put down something as a "plate" (if not a real plate, it can be a large plastic or cardboard box top). To your credit, you obviously know to keep him level after his meal when he's transferred, so I can't see that it hurts anything, it's just something most of us do differently- & you might want to reconsider in the future.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (12-16-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I'm in agreement with this- best to only feed in a snake's own cage...not that the move will deter most king snakes from eating but better for you, not getting bit while handling him. But some snakes are much better than others about recognizing their owners & since this is apparently a "routine" he knows, I see no harm. To prevent a snake from ingesting substrate, it's just easier to put down something as a "plate" (if not a real plate, it can be a large plastic or cardboard box top). To your credit, you obviously know to keep him level after his meal when he's transferred, so I can't see that it hurts anything, it's just something most of us do differently- & you might want to reconsider in the future.
    This ^

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast