Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,821

1 members and 2,820 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

Re: Brooks Kingsnake strange digestion and behavior? (diarrhea and biting himself)

Quote Originally Posted by mopuim View Post
    I will look into the medicines you mentioned. I might go ahead and send an actual fecal example to my vet just to make sure. A lot of those symptoms make sense, and I am very worried about him. Thanks so much for all the help, I really appreciate it.
    This is what I've used: https://www.walmartpetrx.com/p-100-p...UaAkSxEALw_wcB\

I won't be offended if you run all this by this vet or another...I just hope you can help your snake recover before there's too much damage done. Snakes can be challenging to diagnose- they don't give many hints, but we have to pay attention for whatever they show us.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 12-15-2020 at 11:48 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

mopuim (12-15-2020)

Thanks

Re: Brooks Kingsnake strange digestion and behavior? (diarrhea and biting himself)

The vet I go to does specialize in avian & exotic pets. The place has a pretty good rep and the veterinarians seem to have experience (one maybe more than the other). When choosing a vet, I was worried about going to a vet that treats all pets, so I chose this one.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mopuim For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-15-2020)

Thanks

The vet I go to does specialize in avian & exotic pets. The place has a pretty good rep and the veterinarians seem to have experience (one maybe more than the other). When choosing a vet, I was worried about going to a vet that treats all pets, so I chose this one.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

mopuim (12-15-2020)

Thanks

This is a picture of the blob I mentioned if it helps:

https://imgur.com/W3CFcjU

This picture was taken on October 30th, before he got the antibiotics. It's pretty old but it hasn't left my mind.

I dug through it with a toothpick (gross) and it was kind of stringy like it looks. I was worried that it could've been a worm. I cut it apart and nothing happened, and there was no movement (which I was looking for). Not sure if it is just mucus.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mopuim For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-16-2020)

Thanks
    Hmm, interesting. It doesn't really look like a worm or anything, but it still might be significant to the vet. BTW, you have a good healthy amount of curiosity- It helps, when you keep snakes.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

mopuim (12-16-2020)

Thanks

Thanks! Just worried about him and want him to live his best life while also being healthy. Hate to see that he's not feeling well...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mopuim For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-16-2020)

Thanks

Thanks! Just worried about him and want him to live his best life while also being healthy. Hate to see that he's not feeling well...
    I know how you feel... To be honest, it concerns me greatly to hear of a snake biting himself like that, because I've seen it before- a wild-caught Western longnose* snake that I happened to take in-(many years ago); I saw him biting himself & thrashing around, next thing I knew he just died. I was too late to help him. (*Fyi, these are desert snakes are similar to king snakes, smaller though & more slender, with a narrow face, hence the name "longnose".) I still have a longnose snake, the Texas variety- that I got in trade from a pet store that couldn't get him to eat, much less sell him- he's about 19 years old now. They said he was captive-bred (a yearling when I got him) but who knows, it's hard to prove. (These are very hard to breed & raise- because they're so hard to feed- they mostly eat lizards & other tiny snakes, & they're hard to get on mice.) Anyway, crossing my fingers about your Brooks.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

mopuim (12-16-2020)

Thanks

Exclamation Re: Brooks Kingsnake strange digestion and behavior? (diarrhea and biting himself)

I just found him strangling himself his neck was purple and red and his mouth was open with his tongue sticking out he was in like a knot he couldnt untangle i thought he was dead i dont know what to do im crying my eyes out i dont know whats going on and im not goig to bed to wake up to him dead i have him in his feeding cage and i might have to feed him i only have the ones in the freezer but its better than nothing his tail is all bit up too and some of its bleeding

he also had a little bit of weird mucus stuff on his body idk what but he smells also like vinegar or pennies or something he usually smells like nothing and hes trying to knot himself again

i dont know what made me go check on him but im glad i did please help idk if there is much to do anyways im just scared
    Last edited by mopuim; 12-16-2020 at 01:54 AM.

Thanks

I just found him strangling himself his neck was purple and red and his mouth was open with his tongue sticking out he was in like a knot he couldnt untangle i thought he was dead i dont know what to do im crying my eyes out i dont know whats going on and im not goig to bed to wake up to him dead i have him in his feeding cage and i might have to feed him i only have the ones in the freezer but its better than nothing his tail is all bit up too and some of its bleeding

he also had a little bit of weird mucus stuff on his body idk what but he smells also like vinegar or pennies or something he usually smells like nothing and hes trying to knot himself again

i dont know what made me go check on him but im glad i did please help idk if there is much to do anyways im just scared
    Heck yes, just feed him. I don't think it has anything to do with your frozen feeders. So sorry...hang in there.

BTW, thaw rodents directly in cool water- that's the fastest way. Change the water after about 10 minutes (once it gets too cold) & as needed to hasten the process, & check thoroughly by hand that it's soft through-out before offering.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 12-16-2020 at 02:03 AM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

mopuim (12-16-2020)

Thanks

yeah im going to feed him ive never seen anything like this but hes acting semi normal now just exploring in his feeding cage

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast