Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 462

5 members and 457 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.


» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 70,123
Threads: 244,320
Posts: 2,532,779
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, michalbevan84
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 17 of 17
  1. #11
    Moderator Bogertophis's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-28-2018
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    13,025
    Thanks
    18,370
    Thanked 10,770 Times in 6,869 Posts

    Re: "Snakes are scary because they bite you!"

    Quote Originally Posted by Snagrio View Post
    ...Isn't there some genuine truth to that sort of thing? Not so much that they smell fear but there seems to be this overriding phenomenon across many types of animals that they can sense if a person is scared of them. And that animal will potentially act accordingly because fear means unpredictability and they're readying themselves for the worst. Whereas if a well-adjusted animal is around someone who's calm and confident with animals, they know it's safe to be relaxed in turn.
    It depends what animals you're talking about. Fear itself has no odor for creatures to smell- if only it was that simple, eh? There are pheromones, of course, but those are directed only to our own species.

    Dogs & horses are social creatures & very intuitive- they actually read our faces, our voices, & our body language.

    But snakes can't hear much, they don't see well, & they're not all that logical- but they do read our touch. Watch when snakes get together & mate...they read each others touch (along with scent, of course). We don't smell like snakes (I'm assuming, lol) so all they really sense from us is how we touch them. Have you ever had a snake shove you away? Or twitch after your touch. It's all about signaling. Now when a snake already KNOWS us, they recognize our scent too, so that familiarity puts them at ease. Just like us, they fear the "unknown"- it might be a predator, so it's with relief that they get our scent & touch.

    The more you go out of your way to reassure a snake, even those that you cannot handle (like the hots I used to live with*), it all helps them to calm down, & when they're calm, they're eating & staying healthier. Too much stress is as bad for animals as it is for us, as far as our immune systems. Re-homing is stressful for them, always remember that- so when you get a new snake, do everything you can to help them relax & settle in with minimal fear. So their bodies can fight off anything they might have been exposed to along the way.

    *To give you an example: when I kept rattlesnakes & they'd rattle at something in the room that disturbed them (like one of my dogs running by) I deliberately went to their enclosure & gave them my scent by blowing air across my hand thru the screen top so they recognized me, and rather than them being "mad at me" for scaring them, instead I very quickly noticed that they became calmer; that's when I realized that they fear the unknown, & are reassured by our familiarity. It got to where I was seldom rattled at, except by one or two "outliers" that were very high-strung, but it worked for most of them. Always try to find ways to communicate with animals- it often pays off more than you might think.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 12-17-2020 at 03:53 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

  2. #12
    BPnet Senior Member Alexiel03's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-20-2010
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    1,022
    Thanks
    312
    Thanked 902 Times in 404 Posts
    Images: 43

    Re: "Snakes are scary because they bite you!"

    Anytime someone says "they can bite you" I respond with "anything with a mouth can bite" lol btw puppy teeth are very sharp I'd rather get nipped by a snake than a puppy for sure lol

    Sent from my LGL164VL using Tapatalk

    Bps:
    0.1 Mojave BP (Liliana)
    0.1 Firefly BP (Chandra)
    0.1 Pastel GHI
    0.1 Pied 50% het Ghost
    0.1 Leopard Mojave
    0.1 Orange Dream Fire Yellowbelly
    0.1 Sugar Spider
    0.1 Desert Ghost
    0.1 Lesser 66% het Orange Ghost
    1.0 Fire Bee (Garruk)
    1.0 Leopard BP (Ajani)
    1.0 Butter Pastel BP (Diesel)
    1.0 Banana Pastel Enchi
    1.0 Lemon Pastel Enchi

    Non BPs:
    1.0 Sunfire Retic (Helios)R.I.P.
    1.0 Albino Burmese Python (Slayer)
    0.1 Normal het Granite Burmese Python (Pandora)
    0.2 Calico Cats (Mana and Elizabeth)
    0.1 Dog (pitbull lab mix) (Nova)

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Alexiel03 For This Useful Post:

    Bogertophis (12-19-2020)

  4. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-11-2020
    Posts
    164
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 80 Times in 52 Posts

    Re: "Snakes are scary because they bite you!"

    Quote Originally Posted by Alexiel03 View Post
    Anytime someone says "they can bite you" I respond with "anything with a mouth can bite" lol btw puppy teeth are very sharp I'd rather get nipped by a snake than a puppy for sure lol

    Sent from my LGL164VL using Tapatalk
    If it's any indication, my index finger only just today healed enough to take off a band aid from a tooth wound so deep it took nearly a week to close fully.

  5. #14
    Moderator Bogertophis's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-28-2018
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    13,025
    Thanks
    18,370
    Thanked 10,770 Times in 6,869 Posts

    Re: "Snakes are scary because they bite you!"

    Quote Originally Posted by Snagrio View Post
    If it's any indication, my index finger only just today healed enough to take off a band aid from a tooth wound so deep it took nearly a week to close fully.
    Depending on what kind (size esp.) of snakes you keep- you for sure need to slow down & pay attention to their body language, & do your best to prevent such bites. We always remind people not to jerk their hand away, but I know that's pretty hard advice to follow- reflexively we do it anyway, most of us. I'm guessing that's why yours was so deep?
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

  6. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-11-2020
    Posts
    164
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 80 Times in 52 Posts

    Re: "Snakes are scary because they bite you!"

    Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Depending on what kind (size esp.) of snakes you keep- you for sure need to slow down & pay attention to their body language, & do your best to prevent such bites. We always remind people not to jerk their hand away, but I know that's pretty hard advice to follow- reflexively we do it anyway, most of us. I'm guessing that's why yours was so deep?
    Forgot to clarify, the bite was from the puppy.

    Zebes has yet to ever bite me, and I've gotten very attuned to reading his behavior to the point where I can tell if he's stressed about something so I'm learning well there.
    Last edited by Snagrio; 12-19-2020 at 05:35 PM.

  7. #16
    Moderator Bogertophis's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-28-2018
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    13,025
    Thanks
    18,370
    Thanked 10,770 Times in 6,869 Posts

    Re: "Snakes are scary because they bite you!"

    Quote Originally Posted by Snagrio View Post
    Forgot to clarify, the bite was from the puppy.

    Zebes has yet to ever bite me, and I've gotten very attuned to reading his behavior to the point where I can tell if he's stressed about something so I'm learning well there.
    LOL. It wasn't clear & I didn't remember what you're keeping- a large constrictor's teeth can definitely shred you. Puppies just have to learn & out-grow that biting hands are a

    I do think paying attention with snakes is ALWAYS worthwhile- most bites are preventable, & who needs it?
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 12-19-2020 at 05:51 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

  8. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-11-2020
    Posts
    164
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 80 Times in 52 Posts

    Re: "Snakes are scary because they bite you!"

    Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    LOL. It wasn't clear & I didn't remember what you're keeping- a large constrictor's teeth can definitely shred you. Puppies just have to learn & out-grow that biting hands are a

    I do think paying attention with snakes is ALWAYS worthwhile- most bites are preventable, & who needs it?
    For info's sake, all I have in terms of reptiles is a 5 month-old BP. And that's likely how it'll be for a good while due to a big aquarium-related project I'm in the middle of taking up precedence.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.1