Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,873

1 members and 2,872 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

Is Kiibo sick? What’s wrong?

My boy has started wheezing and yawning more often, and originally I thought he had an RI, but his mouth is clear of mucus and bubbles and so is the inside of his lip. He does these little sneeze-like things occasionally, but the yawning has stopped. I bumped up the heat in his enclosure to try and help him, but only the yawning stopped with that. What do you think is wrong with him, and how can I make sure it doesn’t get worse? Ps: can’t afford a vet, please don’t recommend I see one because I literally cannot afford it

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Is Kiibo sick? What’s wrong?

We cannot diagnose your snake over the internet. Veterinary care is a requisite part of pet ownership. If you cannot provide that when necessary for your animals they should not be in your care. Best scenario, your snake is fine. Worst scenario, it’s not and there’s no way to help it get well without medication prescribed by a veterinarian. I know that’s not what you want to hear but it’s true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jmcrook; 12-15-2020 at 10:24 AM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (12-15-2020),Hugsplox (12-15-2020)

Thanks

Re: Is Kiibo sick? What’s wrong?

I understand you can’t diagnose him, I was just looking for tips or anything that might help even a little. Any other time of the year we could afford a vet, but right now we just can’t, it’s really unfortunate timing but we should be able to get him in by January.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 534 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kiiboluvr View Post
    I understand you can’t diagnose him, I was just looking for tips or anything that might help even a little. Any other time of the year we could afford a vet, but right now we just can’t, it’s really unfortunate timing but we should be able to get him in by January.
    The tip I think is to have an emergency fund available year round for your pet's vet needs. We can't diagnose your animal, so how do we provide tips when we don't know what's wrong? I know, and I see it all the time, responses like this come off as blunt, and maybe a little rude, but I promise that's not the intent. People and pets don't ever get sick at a convenient time, so it's important that you're able to provide care year round.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hugsplox For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (12-15-2020),jmcrook (12-15-2020)

Registered User Reptile$ 4 Life's Avatar
    Thanks

My bp did something similar a little while back and it was a little piece of stuck shed in his nose that was causing a whistling sound. I gently removed it and I haven't heard a peep since. Check his nose to see if there is anything in there. If there is BE VERY CAREFUL when removing it. If there is nothing, like everyone else has said, see a vet.
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (Flicker)
    1.2 Southern Alligator Liazrds (Wraith, Magma & Annie)
    0.1 Western Skink (Stella)
    1.1 Leopard Geckos (Leo & Jade)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,816 Times in 11,840 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kiiboluvr View Post
    My boy has started wheezing and yawning more often, and originally I thought he had an RI, but his mouth is clear of mucus and bubbles and so is the inside of his lip. He does these little sneeze-like things occasionally, but the yawning has stopped. I bumped up the heat in his enclosure to try and help him, but only the yawning stopped with that. What do you think is wrong with him, and how can I make sure it doesn’t get worse? Ps: can’t afford a vet, please don’t recommend I see one because I literally cannot afford it
    It's possible that he has some old skin that failed to come off with his last shed still stuck in his nostrils, making normal breathing more difficult. LOOK...and raise his humidity (what is it now, by the way???). With any luck, after you raise his humidity for a while, you might see a tiny skin tag in his nostrils, or he'll get it out by himself. FYI, they shed the skin that lines just their outer nostrils, so now you know. And raising the heat is probably drying him out even more...just saying. It doesn't sound like an RI if you aren't seeing mucus/bubbles, but as others have said already, there's a limit to what we can "diagnose" online. (And truly, if you cannot afford a vet, you shouldn't be keeping pets...it's not fair to them, is it?)

The only other thing I can think of is that he has some substrate stuck in his throat, partly ingested from a recent meal- what substrate are you using? Do you put a "plate" of some kind under his prey when you feed him, to try to minimize his ingestion of substrate? We know nothing of your set-up (temps.-humidity-substrate) so you aren't exactly helping us- relevant information please?
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (12-15-2020),Reptile$ 4 Life (12-15-2020)